Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

She's not everyone's cup of tea, I gather, but I like Ruby Rose a lot, and I'm glad to see she's apparently back on the horse as far as big-screen stuff goes after the TV Batwoman seemed to fuck her up for a while (both in terms of career, and actually being nearly paralyzed). Even though I have mixed feelings about the project she's in- 'US hero soldiers' is always something to be sceptical about, but Martin Campbell knows what he's doing.

She's not Meryl Streep or anything, but she's got a really sharp movie-star screen presence imo. And can handle action capably, clearly. 

I can't really comment. She wasn't in the film enough and I don't believe I've seen her in anything else.

I think 3 is my least favourite John Wick. Couple of the action sequences went on way too long, and I really hated the ending. 

I'll be watching three in a bit as I'm still home sick. But yeah, I've heard the movie is basically three long action scenes with a bit of dialogue before and after to fill in the story.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

She's certainly memorable looking and catches the eye, but she's a fucking terrible actress. I liked her in John Wick except when she talks, it was cringe.

Acting went downhill once we let all these beautiful Australians take over. There was a reason your ancestors marooned them on that island of death. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Acting went downhill once we let all these beautiful Australians take over. There was a reason your ancestors marooned them on that island of death. 

For every Blanchett or Crowe or Collette there is a Hemsworth and Worthington balancing out the quality. The world in perfect harmony 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

For every Blanchett or Crowe or Collette there is a Hemsworth and Worthington balancing out the quality. The world in perfect harmony 

Blanchett is beautiful, Crowe gifted Gerry Butler a career and Collette is pretty in her own right and is working to keep the horror genre alive, so you shut your mouth.

And do not put Worthington in the same sentence as Hemsworth. Imagine what it must be like to be the third brother... He's good looking in his own right, but both his younger brothers and his parents are better looking than him, and all he's got to show for it is the bad parts of Westworld.

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't believe I've seen her in anything else.

She was in The Meg and the third XXX, which I think rather highlights the point: complaints that she can't act are like complaints that Jason Statham or Vin Diesel can't act. Not that she's on the level of the actual stars of those movies yet, but I'd enjoy someone at least seeing if she can be.

She was also in Orange in the New Black, but I haven't seen that so :dunno:

39 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

She was in The Meg and the third XXX, which I think rather highlights the point: complaints that she can't act are like complaints that Jason Statham or Vin Diesel can't act. Not that she's on the level of the actual stars of those movies yet, but I'd enjoy someone at least seeing if she can be.

She was also in Orange in the New Black, but I haven't seen that so :dunno:

Both of those actors have charisma and screen presence though, they might not be Laurence Olivier but they do what they do well. She she looks nice in action scenes, she can’t even deliver a line.

20 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

BrBa

So it's a wrap on S2

Fuck I don't think I'm going to last past this weekend, with three days off and no chores and exams far away (a week is far enough)

Man somebody shuda warned me

Breaking Bad is a bit too flabby in S1/S2 and also a bit completely weird and relying on luck. S3 is where it really gains its legs and goes a whole lot harder, especially with more emphasis on Gus and Mike. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

She was in The Meg

Never would have guessed it, though I'm sure at the time I would have made the same comment that she looked like Biebs. 

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Mrs bfc would tell me to shove it up my arse. 

Mrs BFC seems to be implied to suggest a lot of tawdry things. And all you complain about is how she likes giant sunglasses and tiny purses. 

I am once again grateful that my wife not only tolerates action movies she actively loves them, and is currently constantly hounding me to figure out when she can see Sisu

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Never would have guessed it, though I'm sure at the time I would have made the same comment that she looked like Biebs. 

Mrs BFC seems to be implied to suggest a lot of tawdry things. And all you complain about is how she likes giant sunglasses and tiny purses. 

Mrs BFC has not lived until she has heard Lance Reddick say, “Mr Wick…”

And it has Lovejoy in it.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:25 AM, dbunting said:

Part 2 was I think the worst. 4 is my favorite of the sequels. The action is so far over the top it's becomes fun again.

I agree the second was my least favourite, I think it does have an issue that for most of the film it's hard to care whether John Wick succeeds in doing something even he doesn't want to do and is being coerced into doing. On the other hand, the first film is more about revenge and the third and fourth about survival.

I saw the fourth film at the weekend, and I think I would also agree it's the best of the sequels (the first film is difficult to compare to the others). It is very long, but didn't necessarily feel like it, I think if they were going to cut something perhaps the Ruska Roma and the card game. I thought it had some great action scenes it, and I thought Caine and Mr Nobody were good new characters. The conclusion to the duel was also well done.

Spoiler

It's a pity we didn't get more Lance Reddick in this one. Winston's tribute to him did have some extra resonance.

I also watched Dungeons and Dragons : Honor Amongst Thieves, which was also a lot of fun. It did have a lot of CGI action in it, but at least tried to have more variety in the monsters they were fighting than the hordes of identical CGI monsters that so many recent films seem to have. The characters were likeable and it had some funny scenes (although I think the trailer showed a bit too much). I did also like the inventive plan B to get into the vault.

9 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Breaking Bad is a bit too flabby in S1/S2 and also a bit completely weird and relying on luck. S3 is where it really gains its legs and goes a whole lot harder, especially with more emphasis on Gus and Mike. 

I can see the pacing issues but it has me hooked nevertheless 

Huh. I just finished reading Little Women and retrospectively realized that the film Little Women (2019) was pure fanfiction. I’m not saying it wasn’t a pleasant enough film, but… I mean… yeah. Why even use the same title and character names? You aren’t really adapting a novel, are you? You’re being inspired by one. And that’s okay. As long as you say Titletitletitle *inspired by Louisa May Alcott’s Little women*. If you say this story is little women… well you’re kinda lying into my face aren’t you now?