Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

I've always enjoyed Broken Lizard's content even if a lot of it isn't the best. They dropped a new movie today, Quasi, on Hulu and I expected it to be a stoner medieval film kind of like Your Highness. It's actually not that at all, and while it's not exactly the best movie, I laughed enough. If you like their sense of humor you'll enjoy it, even if you're not Jon Stewart....on weed.

Oh, that's out today? Of course it is, I had forgotten the release date when I saw the trailer. I adore Super Troopers, Club Dread and Beerfest, but hated Slammin Salmon. This trailer looked pretty terrible, I thought. I have a Hulu account in theory, perhaps I'll give it a look tonight after this kickass thunderstorm passes through.

16 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Oh, that's out today? Of course it is, I had forgotten the release date when I saw the trailer. I adore Super Troopers, Club Dread and Beerfest, but hated Slammin Salmon. This trailer looked pretty terrible, I thought. I have a Hulu account in theory, perhaps I'll give it a look tonight after this kickass thunderstorm passes through.

Criminally underrated. It's terrible, but in the so bad it's good kind of way. Bill Paxton as Coconut Pete is fucking hilarious. 

Yep even though the other two are much more popular films, I think Club Dread is perfect as someone who spent his teens ridiculing 80s slasher flicks. Great commentary track back in the DVD days - in fact every film of theirs, on repeat, is even better with the commentary track. Rabbit being legitimately tanked in Beerfest for the yodelling password was a great story.

12 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Yep even though the other two are much more popular films, I think Club Dread is perfect as someone who spent his teens ridiculing 80s slasher flicks. Great commentary track back in the DVD days - in fact every film of theirs, on repeat, is even better with the commentary track. Rabbit being legitimately tanked in Beerfest for the yodelling password was a great story.

You'll probably get a kick out of this long form interview from today:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/420-spectacular-with-broken-lizard/id1451137834?i=1000609776345

In Beerfest Lemme does a scene where he takes a bong rib, holds, takes a shot then chugs a beer and blows it out. They made him do it five times in a short period using the real deal because they said it kept looking wrong on camera. Then they told him they got it perfectly on the first shot. 

I mean it's silly, but they're going for a goofball 80s parody vibe of 80s slasher flicks, so it's an odd concept for people that expect just a Super Troopers stoner horror movie. I just like the corniness throughout, and like I said I spent a ton of time in my teens watching crappy horror movies hoping for a shower scene, so it struck a cord.

Exactly, they try and make it as absurd as possible. The plot isn't very good, but the jokes are if you like their style. The Broken Lizard stuff is like a lot of what the Wayans Brothers did. Either it's for you or it isn't. Not everything hits, but when it does it's very enjoyable. 

I disagree. What usually makes Broken Lizard projects work is that they make true parodies. Their films are genuine genre films, but are absurd.  They might follow tropes, they usually do, but they are actual films that follow whatever “rules” there are for the genre. Club Dread is genius. 

13 hours ago, IFR said:

If I were to cite my top five movies of all time, fixed titles are 12 Angry Men, 2001, and Kurosawa's Ran. The next two often change, but sometimes this movie finds itself on that list.

That and City of God are my 2 favourite films by far. Neither get anywhere near enough praise. 

If I were the boss of all police I'd make every new officer watch 12 angry men once a year.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Um, 12 Angry Men is a very highly regarded film. It's on the AFI top 100.

Do appreciate the City of God suggestion during the pandemic though. 

from the man in the street (hardly anyone i know has seen it), not critics etc.  Though it is very high on the IMDB list. 

Archived