Is Lyanna truly dead?

Tradecraft

“Lyanna was beautiful,” Arya said, startled. Everybody said so. It was not a thing that was ever said of Arya. “She was,” Eddard

Stark agreed, “beautiful, and willful, and dead before her time.” Arya, GOT

Our author says people are dead when they are not. They "change" or transform and live a different life. 

Look at Sansa. She says she is "dead" but that's not what she truly means 

Sansa wondered. Vainly, she searched for friendly faces. Not one of them would meet her eyes. It was as if she had become a ghost, dead before her time. -Sansa, GOT

She means her life is different now. 

She's not the only one. 

They were all in their graves now, the Sword of the Morning and the Smiling Knight, the White Bull and Prince Lewyn, Ser Oswell Whent with his black humor, earnest Jon Darry, Simon Toyne and his Kingswood Brotherhood, bluff old Sumner Crakehall. And me, that boy I was . . . when did he die, I wonder? - Jaime, ASOS

Jaime says he "died". It's a curious metaphor. If he is "dead" could the others he listed be alive as well? 

Were constantly shown people who died reappear in the books;

-Davos (fake executed by the manderlys)

-Arya (commonly presumed dead without evidence, "taken in the back of the head" with an axe... Last line of her pov chapter!)

-Possibly: Sandor Clegane as the gravedigger

-Theon (presumed dead, returns as reek)

Seven hells, the very first lines of the Game of Thrones Prologue asks us to question if someone is truly dead and asks for tangible proof to confirm deaths. 

48 minutes ago, Tradecraft said:

Were constantly shown people who died reappear in the books;

Usually there is some kind of cost to ‘resurrection’ in the books. And it really is one of the central symbolic themes - to such an extent that I expect many examples of true body horror to feature in future characters ‘reappearances’. Catelyn’s transformation is more likely to the be way things go. Dark, macabre, Lovecraftian. Yum yum.

27 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think it is vital to the tragic backstory of the books that she is biologically dead. But I like to imagine that the spirits of Rickard, Brandon, Lyanna and now Ned are all at peace now and can rest.

If we go by Theon's dream in aCoK, when sleeping in Ned's bed... they're not really at peace... but they are having a feast

41 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think it is vital to the tragic backstory of the books that she is biologically dead. But I like to imagine that the spirits of Rickard, Brandon, Lyanna and now Ned are all at peace now and can rest.

They are feasting at Theon dreams.

2 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

They are feasting at Theon dreams.

16 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

If we go by Theon's dream in aCoK, when sleeping in Ned's bed... they're not really at peace... but they are having a feast

True...Oh well. No peace even in Death...:crying:

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

True...Oh well. No peace even in Death...:crying:

Alas, but serves as excellent evidence for readers that someone we didn't see die on page nor resurrected is indeed dead.

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Explain please.

"Yes," said Jon, "but . . . what if . . ."

". . . he's dead?" Mormont asked, not unkindly.

Jon nodded, reluctantly.

"Dead," the raven said. "Dead. Dead."

"He may come to us anyway," the Old Bear said. "As Othor did, and Jafer Flowers. I dread that as much as you, Jon, but we must admit the possibility."

"Dead," his raven cawed, ruffling its wings. Its voice grew louder and more shrill. "Dead." (aCoK, Jon IV)

3 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think there is a chance their spirits are in the crypts of Winterfell. Theory I’ve heard is the reason so many of the statues have swords is so when magic returns with the others, the statues of the Kings of Winter will come to life to defend the realm.

Just now, King Benedict Justman I said:

I think there is a chance their spirits are in the crypts of Winterfell. Theory I’ve heard is the reason so many of the statues have swords is so when magic returns with the others, the statues of the Kings of Winter will come to life to defend the realm.

That's interesting. A lot of people seemed to think the swords were there to keep the Kings in their tombs...

Archived