What will you do for betterment of your House, if you were House Tully after Aegon elevates your House?

Lord of Oldstones

So, you are  Lord Tully and Aegon elevates you to the status of ruler of the Riverlands. 

You are behind House Blackwood,Bracken,Vance, Mallister,Mooton and even upstart Freys in strength and wealth. Harrenhall is gifted to Valyrian House Qoherys and they hold much much grander castle with large fertile land and potential to summon more men. 

So what would you and your subsequent generation do to elevate your holdings and status, to keep famously quarrelsome Riverlords in line and in the same time be certain to protect Riverlands from neighbouring Kingdoms. 

Try to wangle my way into squiring alongside Aenys (or Maegor if nexessary). Afterwards, pick a fight with a house I reckon I can beat. Murderise them in an excessive way. Commission a song about it and get it put into the general rotation of travelling players.

Get appointed Hand of the King. Fall out with the king. Piggyback someone else's rebellion and kill the King's family. Marry my daughter to the King and lend him enough money to put him in my pocket. Enjoy my position as the most powerful man in Westeros until my least favourite child shoots me on the toilet.

The main goal for me is to concentrate power for the Tully's.

The Tully's, by not being the strongest house in the region puts them in a precarious position. Look to the lords adjacent to Riverrun. When the opportunity presents itself marry a daughter of a house with no son. Amalgamate the holdings of both houses under the Tully banner. Increased holdings, castles and lands will allow for more wealth and power to be concentrated.

Rinse and repeat until Tully power is dominants within the region. If required use lesser tracts of land to pacify the branches of the old families that were incorporated into Tully lands. 

Also, arrange a marriage to the house holding Harrenhal. Try and obtain the castle and lands, and make it the Dragon stone of the Riverlands. 

Marry a frey 

Increase tithes temporarily and put the cash into  increasing seaguards navy to help protect vs reavers/ironborn.

Arrange a few  frey-went marriages , the freys are packed into twins thus send them to the biggest castle in westeros. The extra cash and manpower there will help restore it.

4 hours ago, Lord of Oldstones said:

So, you are  Lord Tully and Aegon elevates you to the status of ruler of the Riverlands. 

You are behind House Blackwood,Bracken,Vance, Mallister,Mooton and even upstart Freys in strength and wealth. Harrenhall is gifted to Valyrian House Qoherys and they hold much much grander castle with large fertile land and potential to summon more men. 

So what would you and your subsequent generation do to elevate your holdings and status, to keep famously quarrelsome Riverlords in line and in the same time be certain to protect Riverlands from neighbouring Kingdoms. 

Getting a targling princess to marry into my house would be our sole priority until we could make it happen. I'd have angled to make a marriage a condition of the pact.

Edmyn had three daughters: one of them was the second wife of Quenton Qoherys, who ruled Harrenhal, but they didn't have kids. So remarry her to Jon Mooton, marry the other one to a Blackwood, and marry the other one to a Westerling, a Reyne, or, if the Westerlands aren't playing with you, a Bulwer or Dickon Flower's dad, a Beesbury. Obviously you need to have a son and have him marry a Frey. Put yourself in position to set up a minor Tully house at Harrenhal after the weird thing between Gargon and your daughter (unless you're already dead). Also, don't resign as hand wtf, I understand your kids mom died and they're sad and you have a newborn, but you gotta keep your head in the game and remarry, maybe a Celtigar or a Vance. 

Archived