Was Catelyn a Bastard?

Corvo the Crow

We all know of Hoster and Blackfish's quarrel over Blackfish not marrying. Some took it as him being gay, while others have dismissed it without giving a reason, yet some others, like me, have claimed that he loved someone other than the brides Hoster suggested, so let's take a look at the Tully's shall we?

Hoster Tully was a restless man in his prime, always travelling and taking Cat, who was his heir for many years, with him also.

There is an inn at the crossroads up ahead," Catelyn told him. She had slept many a night there in her youth, traveling with her father. Lord Hoster Tully had been a restless man in his prime, always riding somewhere

But apparently not his unwed brother since he isn't mentioned as a part of these travels. So the Blackfish must have stayed home then. Same also applies for Minisa Whent, who gave her cheekbones to Catelyn according to Blackfish, who remembers her very well.

A Clash of Kings - Catelyn I

"Yes . . . but there is less and less sense to the things he says. He talks of his regrets, of unfinished tasks, of people long dead and times long past. Sometimes he does not know what season it is, or who I am. Once he called me by Mother's name."

"He misses her still," Ser Brynden answered. "You have her face. I can see it in your cheekbones, and your jaw . . ."

"You remember more of her than I do. It has been a long time." She seated herself on the bed and brushed away a strand of fine white hair that had fallen across her father's face.

Curiosly, Hoster has brown hair

Hoster Tully had always been a big man; tall and broad in his youth, portly as he grew older. Now he seemed shrunken, the muscle and meat melted off his bones. Even his face sagged. The last time Catelyn had seen him, his hair and beard had been brown, well streaked with grey. Now they had gone white as snow.

Whereas Tullys are known for their Auburn, including Blackfish

The years have not improved it, I fear," Brynden Tully said, but when he lifted off the helm, Catelyn saw that he lied. His features were lined and weathered, and time had stolen the auburn from his hair and left him only grey, but the smile was the same, and the bushy eyebrows fat as caterpillars, and the laughter in his deep blue eyes

He has also been more of a father to the Tully children than Hoster was

Nonetheless, during all those years of Catelyn's girlhood, it had been Brynden the Blackfish to whom Lord Hoster's children had run with their tears and their tales, when Father was too busy and Mother too ill. 

Conclusion, Tullies are Blackfish's bastards with Minisa Whent. Blackfish didn't marry because the woman he loved was married with his brother.

8 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Sorry Corvo, but I doubt it.

Oh I doubt it as well. It is however an interesting thought to entertain that Hoster lacks the Tully Auburn and is constantly away while his children all have Auburn hair like Blackfish, who wouldn't marry and is constantly at home.

1 minute ago, astarkchoice said:

Nope but i like the effort man!

Next sell me on walder being celibate and daario being humble and shy

An old post of mine I ran into while searching for something, thought the subject deserves it's own thread with all sorts of threads opening.

9 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

We all know of Hoster and Blackfish's quarrel over Blackfish not marrying. Some took it as him being gay, while others have dismissed it without giving a reason, yet some others, like me, have claimed that he loved someone other than the brides Hoster suggested, so let's take a look at the Tully's shall we?

Hoster Tully was a restless man in his prime, always travelling and taking Cat, who was his heir for many years, with him also.

But apparently not his unwed brother since he isn't mentioned as a part of these travels. So the Blackfish must have stayed home then. Same also applies for Minisa Whent, who gave her cheekbones to Catelyn according to Blackfish, who remembers her very well.

Curiosly, Hoster has brown hair

Whereas Tullys are known for their Auburn, including Blackfish

He has also been more of a father to the Tully children than Hoster was

Conclusion, Tullies are Blackfish's bastards with Minisa Whent. Blackfish didn't marry because the woman he loved was married with his brother.

No.

10 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Oh I doubt it as well. It is however an interesting thought to entertain that Hoster lacks the Tully Auburn and is constantly away while his children all have Auburn hair like Blackfish, who wouldn't marry and is constantly at home.

that's just an author who kinda forgets one of his big twists includes three kids' hair color! 

but no, I'm still pretty sure that Blackfish is either gay or a rogue . both are rather common in asoiaf's second/third sons: Daemon Targaryen , Oberyn Martell , Renly Baratheon , Tyrion Lannister , Euron Greyjoy, 

19 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

that's just an author who kinda forgets one of his big twists includes three kids' hair color! 

Exactly. As theories go, this one really has solid footing. Mind you I don't believe it is the case, this was an old post (5 years) of mine I encountered and I remember while writing it I wasn't serious about it but as you say, a major plot point in the first book and the very reason most of the fighting going on in Westeros is 3 kids not having the same hair color as their father.

Archived