Who do you see going to the Isle of Faces ?

4 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I think the number 200 is arbitrary and kinda confusing, but everything else you said I completely agree with! Lol

(Like the 13th emperor of Rome was Trajan, who is really important and stuff but far removed (75 years or so in time) from the days of the Republic. 13 American presidents ago (also about 75 years) was Truman, who was wwii times, so extremely different from current events in terms of geopolitics)

Or you can think back to 1823, 2 years after Napoleon Bonaparte died at his prison island. And a 100 years ago the war that would end all wars was 5 years finished. In that timespan our way of governing has changed, empires have fallen, and social issues as well... and yet there's also always some of the same-old.

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

Or you can think back to 1823, 2 years after Napoleon Bonaparte died at his prison island. And a 100 years ago the war that would end all wars was 5 years finished.

Omg, my grandma who passed like 2-3 years ago once told me that only a hundred years ago was Napoleon. I was like, "no" lol. And she said oh yea, Napoleon was roughly 100 years ago from when she was born. 

Time and history, so far and yet surprisingly close 

19 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Omg, my grandma who passed like 2-3 years ago once told me that only a hundred years ago was Napoleon. I was like, "no" lol. And she said oh yea, Napoleon was roughly 100 years ago from when she was born. 

Time and history, so far and yet surprisingly close 

Lifespan, experience and history are just very weird. In my mind the 90s or early 2000s is so close by, and then I realize that in a few years I've lived just as long in the 20th century as the 21st, or that I've lived longer than the time between WW2 and when I was born, and the 40s already were such a huge difference to the 70s. 

15 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Lifespan, experience and history are just very weird. In my mind the 90s or early 2000s is so close by, and then I realize that in a few years I've lived just as long in the 20th century as the 21st, or that I've lived longer than the time between WW2 and when I was born, and the 40s already were such a huge difference to the 70s. 

I can't even comprehend the 40s, I think after that it starts to make a little more sense to me. However I'm a bit younger and only associate the 90s and early 00s with like Dexter's Laboratory 

11 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I can't even comprehend the 40s, I think after that it starts to make a little more sense to me. However I'm a bit younger and only associate the 90s and early 00s with like Dexter's Laboratory 

A few years ago during covid my best friend and I went for a hike and in the car they played Like a Virgin of Madonna and I was saying "oh, i was in this and thus elementary grade level/  I was 7 or 8 at the time." And then the radio DJ said, "This song was published 40 years ago". We both held our breath and then wanted to smash that DJ for saying it like that. :rofl:

17 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

A few years ago during covid my best friend and I went for a hike and in the car they played Like a Virgin of Madonna and I was saying "oh, i was in this and thus elementary grade level/  I was 7 or 8 at the time." And then the radio DJ said, "This song was published 40 years ago". We both held our breath and then wanted to smash that DJ for saying it like that. :rofl:

They play fucking red hot chill peppers on classic rock! 

Like, no!

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

They play fucking red hot chill peppers on classic rock! 

Like, no!

Until 2 years I kept on listening to the alternative rock radio station that I've listened to for the past 35 years. I finally switched to the national radio 1 station: at least that's the alternative music that I consider alternative and they have good talking sections about "cooking with music" where they dissect classics. (It was Donna Summer's "I feel love" yesterday) :rofl:

On 3/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Who do you see travelling by or going to the Isle of Faces, even by hazard or for a precise reason, to see what is really here or to seek advice and guidance from the Green Men, in future novels ? 

Apart from Howland Reed, the other person said to have visited the Isle of Faces is Addam Velaryon (Addam of Hull). This was during the Dance of the Dragons. It is said he flew to the Isle on his dragon Seasmoke and took counsel with the Green Men. Addam might be a clue to who will next visit the place.
He's interesting because he shares a number of parallels with Jon Snow - see Wiki - bastard born, dragonseed, unlclear parentage, legitimized, became heir to Dirftmark, determined to prove his worth, prove that a bastard born need not be a turncloak. 

Seasmoke is also  a thinly veiled Azor-Ahai hint - Sea Smoke / salt and smoke. If he's a clue, it may point to Daenerys but the hints point towards Jon Snow, who "knows nothing" and might well need some tipps from the Green Men on the isle, if they still exist.  

1 hour ago, Evolett said:

but the hints point towards Jon Snow

Bran's ASOS chapter has the most mentions of the Isle of Faces, but it's all packed into the story about the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

Jon is the only POV who has two separate mentions of the Isle, which are across two books. Perhaps that's significant.

And Arya has been at its shores

When she glimpsed the lake ahead between houses and trees, Arya put her knees into her horse, galloping past Woth and Gendry. She burst out onto the grassy sward beside the pebbled shore. The setting sun made the tranquil surface of the water shimmer like a sheet of beaten copper. It was the biggest lake she had ever seen, with no hint of a far shore. She saw a rambling inn to her left, built out over the water on heavy wooden pilings. To her right, a long pier jutted into the lake, and there were other docks farther east, wooden fingers reaching out from the town. But the only boat in view was an upside-down rowboat abandoned on the rocks beneath the inn, its bottom thoroughly rotted out. "They're gone," Arya said, dejected. What would they do now? [...]

"They took the boats." Somehow Arya knew it was true; they could search the whole town, and they'd find no more than the upside-down rowboat. Despondent, she climbed off her horse and knelt by the lake. The water lapped softly around her legs. A few lantern bugs were coming out, their little lights blinking on and off. The green water was warm as tears, but there was no salt in it. It tasted of summer and mud and growing things. Arya plunged her face down into it to wash off the dust and dirt and sweat of the day. When she leaned back the trickles ran down the back of her neck and under her collar. They felt good. She wished she could take off her clothes and swim, gliding through the warm water like an skinny pink otter. Maybe she could swim all the way to Winterfell.

Woth was shouting at her to help search, so she did, peering into boathouses and sheds while her horse grazed along the shore. They found some sails, some nails, buckets of tar gone hard, and a mother cat with a litter of new-born kittens. But no boats. (aCoK, Arya IV)

To the east, Gods Eye was a sheet of sun-hammered blue that filled half the world. Some days, as they made their slow way up the muddy shore (Gendry wanted no part of any roads, and even Hot Pie and Lommy saw the sense in that), Arya felt as though the lake were calling her. She wanted to leap into those placid blue waters, to feel clean again, to swim and splash and bask in the sun. [...] At the end of the day she would often sit on a rock and dangle her feet in the cool water. She had finally thrown away her cracked and rotted shoes. Walking barefoot was hard at first, but the blisters had finally broken, the cuts had healed, and her soles had turned to leather. The mud was nice between her toes, and she liked to feel the earth underfoot when she walked. From up here, she could see a small wooded island off to the northeast. Thirty yards from shore, three black swans were gliding over the water, so serene . . . no one had told them that war had come, and they cared nothing for burning towns and butchered men. She stared at them with yearning. Part of her wanted to be a swan. The other part wanted to eat one. [...] The guards shoved Gendry inside with the boy and barred the doors behind them. Just then, a breath of wind came sighing off the lake, and the banners stirred and lifted. The one on the tall staff bore the golden lion, as she'd feared. On the other, three sleek black shapes ran across a field as yellow as butter. Dogs, she thought. (aCoK, Arya V)

8 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Yah, as I read things it seemed to me no one could survive TLN for longer than 8 years.  Hardly a generation.  :shocked:

Same, the 20 years w/o daylight is just impossible. Many times she doesn’t even believe herself in what she’s saying. She is a storyteller, an entertainer, and she’s excellent at it. She’s not a history teacher. 

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

@sweetsunray, quick observation that is really just an opinion: I don’t buy the Joramun and his horn story as it is told. I like the maths you did there, especially w/ the Targ kings. 

I also think Joramun's horn is a red herring. But I can see how the NK and corpse queen may have given rise to the first king beyond the Wall uniting the first of the free folk and turning against the Night's Watch

Archived