Does Anyone (Else) Feel Sorry for Selyse?

Craving Peaches

I don't think she has it easy being an unfortunate looking lady, and Stannis barely pays her any attention even when she tries her best. Robert kind of ruined her wedding, she's only had one child despite her efforts, and I think she might have turned to R'hlorrism as a sort of coping mechanism or to make herself feel less lonely...

However on the other hand she was all for sacrificing Edric which makes me feel less sorry for her. And she has little sympathy for the Wildlings.

Edit: Bolded as some people seem to think I'm not aware of this.

1 minute ago, Lord_Tywin_Lannister said:

A lot of people have a tragic life that you can feel sorry for. More often than not it doesn’t justify things they in their life. Her treatment of her daughter is horrific, her zealotry to burn people alive is awful. Her willingness to sacrifice Edric and probably Shireen is evil. 

Oh I don't think it justifies it, and I don't think we should let her off the hook because of it.

9 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I don't think she has it easy being an unfortunate looking lady, and Stannis barely pays her any attention even when she tries her best. Robert kind of ruined her wedding, she's only had one child despite her efforts, and I think she might have turned to R'hlorrism as a sort of coping mechanism or to make herself feel less lonely...

However on the other hand she was all for sacrificing Edric which makes me feel less sorry for her. And she has little sympathy for the Wildlings.

Yes, but only up to a point. Her backstory is unfortunate, but as you say it doesn't give her a free pass on being a jerk now. See also: Viserys, Lysa, Littlefinger(!!!), even Stannis himself if you buy into his woe-is-me Spare-writing self-pity.

28 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I only feel sorry for her because there are no proper mental asylums in Westeros, which is quite interesting because such things existed in the period of medieval times that Westeros represents. It gets even more interesting when you think of an university has existed for several thousand years.

I’ve given this a lot of thought, actually.

It’s obvious that Selyse didn’t have a choice when it came to her marriage partner, because Westeros. But at the same time, I don’t think Stannis chose her either. Because why would he? I refuse to believe that it was him who arranged that marriage. He’s awkward around women, but even he has an eye for attractive women like Melisandre. I’m convinced that Robert and/or Jon arranged the marriage as a strategy in the Reach (even though it was clearly a toothless one in the end).

So I feel sorry for both Stannis and Selyse in this situation, but moreso for Stannis because he is actually open to saving the wildlings from the Others and he isn’t a religious maniac like his wife.

8 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I’ve given this a lot of thought, actually.

It’s obvious that Selyse didn’t have a choice when it came to her marriage partner, because Westeros. But at the same time, I don’t think Stannis chose her either. Because why would he? I refuse to believe that it was him who arranged that marriage. He’s awkward around women, but even he has an eye for attractive women like Melisandre. I’m convinced that Robert and/or Jon arranged the marriage as a strategy in the Reach (even though it was clearly a toothless one in the end).

So I feel sorry for both Stannis and Selyse in this situation, but moreso for Stannis because he is actually open to saving the wildlings from the Others and he isn’t a religious maniac like his wife.

To be honest, they both strike me as people who would be unhappy whoever they were married to. Especially, but not exclusively, if it was an arranged marriage (which is really all that anyone can expect in Westeros anyway: even the king doesn't necessarily get to marry who he wants).

I feel sorry for the people who interact with her.  She's just plain unpleasant, obtuse and sure only she is right.  Bleh!  She has a loveless marriage, so what, even couples who married for love could end up the same. 

1 hour ago, Alester Florent said:

To be honest, they both strike me as people who would be unhappy whoever they were married to. Especially, but not exclusively, if it was an arranged marriage (which is really all that anyone can expect in Westeros anyway: even the king doesn't necessarily get to marry who he wants).

I don't think Stannis had to be unhappy in his marriage. But Selyse definitely didn't help the situation. Thing is that he sees marriage and procreation as duties, and he wouldn't assume that he could marry whoever he likes, so it wouldn't surprise me that Robert married him off to the ugliest woman he could find within House Florent (keep in mind, Selyse is not even the daughter of Lord Florent, her influence is tenable at best). He could have just as easily married Delena to Stannis instead, but he wanted her for himself, presumably.

16 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I don't think Stannis had to be unhappy in his marriage. But Selyse definitely didn't help the situation. Thing is that he sees marriage and procreation as duties, and he wouldn't assume that he could marry whoever he likes, so it wouldn't surprise me that Robert married him off to the ugliest woman he could find within House Florent (keep in mind, Selyse is not even the daughter of Lord Florent, her influence is tenable at best). He could have just as easily married Delena to Stannis instead, but he wanted her for himself, presumably.

He could've married him off to the what's her name Hightower turned courtesan, Pedobear Jorah's former wife. Really forgot her name of the creamy hands.

4 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I don't think she has it easy being an unfortunate looking lady, and Stannis barely pays her any attention

You may have married Stannis to Ashara Dayne and he would pay barely any attention. You may even have married Stannis to a guy, if the marriage would've resulted in children he wouldn't say no. He's pretty open minded it seems, knows his brother is gay and isn't bothered about it, only thing that bothers him is Renly taking his claim.

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

He could've married him off to the what's her name Hightower turned courtesan, Pedobear Jorah's former wife. Really forgot her name of the creamy hands.

That wouldn't be much better. Lynesse Hightower is a spoiled materialist, and Stannis is many things but he is not a hedonist at all. If anything, his self-denial, plain sense of fashion, and hatred for the elites would ensure that he is the worst person to marry Lynesse. Worse even than Jorah Mormont.

I think Stannis is constitutionally incapable of being satisfied or happy, not just with his marriage, but with anything. He won't even be satisfied with the Iron Throne: he'd resent the mess that the kingdom was left in, that he doesn't get enough respect from his lords, that the people don't appreciate that he's burning all their septs and godswoods and taverns and brothels for their own good, that the Iron Bank won't extend him unlimited free credit because he didn't approve of Robert/Joff/Cersei/Kevan/Mace/Hot Pie spending all that money so why should he be punished for it etc.

If you gave him a beautiful wife he'd resent that she wasn't rich enough. If you gave him a rich wife he'd resent that she wasn't clever enough. I don't think a woman exists who he couldn't find fault with, and since he holds almost everyone to an unattainable standard anyway, he would always find something for his resentment to latch onto and fester.

Or at least, that's Stannis before he made Davos Hand. He seems to have mellowed and grown a lot since then. But I don't think there was anything Robert could really have done to cheer Stannis up or even really improve their relationship prior to his death. He was a miserable bastard even before his parents died.

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

You may have married Stannis to Ashara Dayne and he would pay barely any attention. You may even have married Stannis to a guy, if the marriage would've resulted in children he wouldn't say no. He's pretty open minded it seems, knows his brother is gay and isn't bothered about it, only thing that bothers him is Renly taking his claim.

Renly didn’t take Stannis claim, he had one of his own. 

15 hours ago, Lord_Tywin_Lannister said:

A lot of people have a tragic life that you can feel sorry for. More often than not it doesn’t justify things they in their life. Her treatment of her daughter is horrific, her zealotry to burn people alive is awful. Her willingness to sacrifice Edric and probably Shireen is evil. 

I do not think how she is different than Stannis in any of this aspects to be sure.

She at least spends time with her daughter.

13 hours ago, James Steller said:

but moreso for Stannis because he is actually open to saving the wildlings from the Others and he isn’t a religious maniac like his wife.

Tell that to the wildlings he is forcing conversion onto.

15 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

No.

There's so much bad shit happening in Westeros for me to feel pity of her, she's in an unhappy marriage... Okay.

11 hours ago, James Steller said:

so it wouldn't surprise me that Robert married him off to the ugliest woman he could find within House Florent

We do not know how was Selyse 13 years ago.

Lysa and Robert were stunning when they were young but well... 13 years of being married to Stannis can dimeven the most radiant sun.

11 hours ago, James Steller said:

He could have just as easily married Delena to Stannis instead, but he wanted her for himself, presumably.

As if Robert could not marry her to Stannis and then keep on sleeping with her.

We do not know the rationale behind the decision, or even if it was Robert at all who made that choice, it screams Jon Arryn, so perhaps this is an overreaction.

8 hours ago, James Steller said:

and hatred for the elites

:rolleyes::rofl:

Archived