Does Anyone (Else) Feel Sorry for Selyse?

Craving Peaches

On 3/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, Craving Peaches said:

However on the other hand she was all for sacrificing Edric which makes me feel less sorry for her. And she has little sympathy for the Wildlings.

I don't much sympathy for her and I'll have even less when Shireen is burned.  I can understand her behaviour but I don't excuse it.

I actually quite enjoy Selyse as a character. I feel sorry for her to a certain extent, like most readers do. But, as everyone else in this thread has pointed out, her actions cannot be excused (which I certainly don't think you were doing @Craving Peaches) We all disdain her willingness to sacrifice human lives and her desire to eradicate all other Westerosi religions. But I do enjoy the moments where she stands up to Stannis, even if I disagree with her reasoning, and I admire her "take no shit" attitude. And contrary to the abomination, she actually protects Shireen and we don't see a negative relationship between them. We don't necessarily see a positive one either, but Selyse has made it clear more than once that she views Shireen as Stannis' sole heir and places great importance on it. Is she politically savvy? No lol, but she does care about politics and inserts herself when she feels it's important. I personally find her to be an entertaining character hehe.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:26 AM, Minsc said:

Stannis complains about everything, so he likely would in conjuction to how Robert didn't show enough graditude.

Stannis doesn't complain about everything, just about what he perceives (rightly or wrongly) an injustice or unfairness. He didn't think that his marriage to Selyse was such. It wasn't a bad match for the Lord of Dragonstone, and wouldn't even be a particularly bad match for a Lord of Storm's End (that's what Stannis wanted to be), just for a King, and Stannis never thought he would be a King.

Obviously, Stannis overstates his own grievances (not getting Storm's End, not becoming Hand) and underplays others (Robert's appalling treatment of Cersei), but that doesn't mean that they do not exist.  

• 3 weeks later...

Melisandre is going to burn Shireen with Selyse’s blessing, since they will both be desperate having seen Jon Snow betrayed and wounded or dead, and having come to believe that Ramsay has defeated and killed Stannis.

And the old fish will eat the young fish. Poor Shireen.

Stannis is gonna be pissed. 

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Melisandre is going to burn Shireen with Selyse’s blessing, since they will both be desperate having seen Jon Snow betrayed and wounded or dead, and having come to believe that Ramsay has defeated and killed Stannis.

Why would they think that Stannis is dead though? Just over-concern? Shireen dying could completely cripple Stannis mentally and fuck up all their strategy, but maybe Selyse and Mel are that blinded by their faith.

For the OP question: I have always felt bad for Selyse in the same way I have a general sympathy for most people that live in Westeros, but she seemed to, quite quickly, adopt a religion built around burning people alive and blame Robert and her cousin for their lack of sons, unable to take responsibility or understand the implications of her power (and kind of futily trying to integrate the Wildlings into her supporter's families). But she does seem to command a certain amount of loyalty despite her...cold personality. She also wanted to kill her nephew/cousin, and killed her uncle/Sam's grandpa, so I'm not super sympathetic, but I understand why she ended up the way she did. 

6 minutes ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

Why would they think that Stannis is dead though? Just over-concern? Shireen dying could completely cripple Stannis mentally and fuck up all their strategy, but maybe Selyse and Mel are that blinded by their faith.

Because Ramsey told them so...

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king's friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king's queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.

Ramsay Bolton,

Trueborn Lord of Winterfell.

On 3/12/2023 at 5:06 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

I only feel sorry for her because there are no proper mental asylums in Westeros, which is quite interesting because such things existed in the period of medieval times that Westeros represents. It gets even more interesting when you think of an university has existed for several thousand years.

Lol you want to send her to a mental asylum?

20 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Because Ramsey told them so...

I see, so if they read the letter they'll think Stannis is dead and then burn Shireen, and then he'll come back and be like "why'd you burn my daughter, you sick fucks" I understand. And then he'll lose cuz his wife just burned his daughter alive and that's not good for the mentals.

Archived