95th Academy Awards (OSCAR NIGHT): You're all feckin' boring!

Mladen

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Why? Granted I've not seen the movie, but I'm happy for his success and career comeback.

He's fantastic in The Whale and completely deserves the award. (I've seen all the nominated performances other than Butler.)

The Internet has just decided that it's problematic (TM) because he's not actually incredibly overweight to the point of not being able to walk unlike his character. 

I also think Hong Chau deserved to win Supporting Actress, but I knew she wouldn't.

Edited by Annara Snow

10 minutes ago, Mladen said:

A famous nepo baby that made entire Hollywood watch this movie is certainly not a random white lady. Yes, it is atrocious winner, but overall, it is part of EEAAO sweep. 

Congrats to winners, they wouldn't be my choice, but I am glad for them. Unfortunately, some superior movies are going home tonight without recognition. They deserved much better, but it is Academy.

I hope you have enjoyed this season with me... I will write more in-detail tomorrow. 

I don't agree. I thought Jamie Lee Curtis was brilliant in her role and elevated the whole movie. Brilliant piece of casting. Stephanie Hsu missed out on the same award for her role in EEAAO, but honestly on pure performance quality I agree with the Academy voters that Jamie Lee edged her out. And for the other nominees, quality performances from the movies that I've seen to be sure (I haven't seen the Whale), but Curtis was the best of that group, in my opinion. I'll Probably see the Whale at some point so might end up agreeing with @Annara Snow but it's a pretty high bar IMO.

#Brendan_Fraser_not_fat_enough seems like a pretty weak point of criticism for his casting. It's not like they fatted up Brad Pitt or Henry Caville. Though I bet Christian Bale would have packed on the pounds for the role, he's so method.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Yes,Yes! Finally 

Hold my Hand shuda

To be clear, I have zero issues with the win! I know little of the song or movie, but it seemed like fun during the show!  I am asking if it's one of the bigger upsets of the night, as I expected Rhianna to win there...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

21 minutes ago, Mladen said:

Best Picture

• All Quiet on the Western Front
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Elvis
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tar
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Triangle of Sadness
  • Women Talking

EEAAO is a very original and entertaining movie and I'm fine with it winning, although I still think Triangle of Sadness is better. But I never thought it had a chance.

Especially not if there was more than one Academy member who decided not to watch it because "it's probably a sad movie, with that title" (actuall thing that an Academy member reportedly said). Or maybe Hollywood doesn't like movies about class differences as much anymore.

35 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Given there have traditionally been 4 nominations, and in more recent years 10, a 50% connection between best director and best picture is a trend. I imagine the only comparable predictor would be screenplay, but since there are two of those awards it's a bit trickier to make the link.

Apparently, editing used to be the best predictor until round about the new millennium. 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

#Brendan_Fraser_not_fat_enough seems like a pretty weak point of criticism for his casting. It's not like they fatted up Brad Pitt or Henry Caville. Though I bet Christian Bale would have packed on the pounds for the role, he's so method.

Jesus, is that a thing?  People are fucking pathetic. 

I'm very happy for EEOAO sweeping the board, I absolutely loved the movie and think it thoroughly deserves pretty much every award it got (ok maybe Jamie Lee is a bit of an odd pick but whatever)

I'm seeing a narrative going around that this is a movie that people will be scratching their heads about how it won awards in a few years time. I have to totally disagree, this might be one of the few movies that might in fact be seen as a deserved winner.  Who even remembers Green Book?! The Kings Speech?! Argo? 

It's interesting to see the near-unanimous praise for EEAO here. I was deeply underwhelmed by the movie. I found it to be pretty silly nonsense, with some occasional moments that were legitimately funny. Kind of something on par with Airplane. There was nothing about it that struck me as profound, and I absolutely hated the prodigious heaping of sentimentality and weepiness the movie kept lathing out.

Spoiler

I desperately wanted everyone to enter the bagel.

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ya I got that, just can't believe the sheer injustice that year

Wanna tallk about injustice at the Oscars? Fucking Dancing with Wolves over Goodfellas. Rocky over Taxi Driver. Altho, Rocky is a classic in his own right. Oh and Forrest fucking Gump over Pulp Fiction.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Jesus, is that a thing?  People are fucking pathetic. 

In fairness, at least some of the criticism I've seen has been more along the lines of casting Fraser in a fatsuit is less the problem than a symptom of the problem they had with it, which is more that it's a film about a very fat person, and purporting to be a sympathetic portrayal of fat people, that doesn't have any idea of what life is like as a fat person and to at least some of them felt distinctly unsympathetic. 
I can't speak to if that's fair because I've not seen it and have no interest in it, and also I'm not particulary fat so I don't have that perspective anyway, but there's a lot more to it than just #notfatenough.

Edited by polishgenius

The film has an overweight executive producer, and the creators consulted with the Obesity Action Commission whose goals include disspelling myths and harmful stereotypes, fighting against bias an discrimination, etc. 

Being fat is not an identity, it's a condition, and I think people who believe the former are the only people going after the film on that basis.

This is not dissimilar to the autistic people who don't want autism to be cured, or deaf or blind people who don't want solutions for those issues.