95th Academy Awards (OSCAR NIGHT): You're all feckin' boring!

Mladen

1 hour ago, IFR said:

It's interesting to see the near-unanimous praise for EEAO here. I was deeply underwhelmed by the movie. I found it to be pretty silly nonsense, with some occasional moments that were legitimately funny. Kind of something on par with Airplane. There was nothing about it that struck me as profound, and I absolutely hated the prodigious heaping of sentimentality and weepiness the movie kept lathing out.

Hide contents

I desperately wanted everyone to enter the bagel.

My son agrees with you.  He hated the film.  My daughter and I loved it.  What I don’t understand is those I know who dislike EEAAO tend to be… angry… that people really like it.  What’s up with that?

57 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wanna tallk about injustice at the Oscars? Fucking Dancing with Wolves over Goodfellas. Rocky over Taxi Driver. Altho, Rocky is a classic in his own right. Oh and Forrest fucking Gump over Pulp Fiction.

Not even close.

Ordinary People over Raging Bull.

How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane

The utter lack of nominations for The Shining

Th Oscars capture a mood and a moment (most of the time), but are very hit-and-miss when it comes to films that really endure. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wanna tallk about injustice at the Oscars? Fucking Dancing with Wolves over Goodfellas. Rocky over Taxi Driver. Altho, Rocky is a classic in his own right. Oh and Forrest fucking Gump over Pulp Fiction.

Rocky might be the second weakest film in the franchise. Where’s the justice for Rocky IV?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rocky might be the second weakest film in the franchise. Where’s the justice for Rocky IV?

:stunned:

Your takes on cinema are truly spectacular!

Wanna tallk about injustice at the Oscars? Fucking Dancing with Wolves over Goodfellas

That is something that gets my goat everytime I hear it. 

Rocky over Taxi Driver. Altho, Rocky is a classic in his own right.

Irishman...never mind, Scorsese has been snubbed one too many times. Still Uncle Marty's bagged a few.

Oh and Forrest fucking Gump over Pulp Fiction.

IIRC Shawshank was that year right...

Speaking of the old man, cinema is a dying art form.

40 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My son agrees with you.  He hated the film.  My daughter and I loved it.  What I don’t understand is those I know who dislike EEAAO tend to be… angry… that people really like it.  What’s up with that?

I follow a critic who is definitely in that camp and who has decried its rise to popularity as all that's wrong in cinema and disasterous for film-making. Even I thought he was hyperbolic.

But I do think there's something about the film that does trigger people, and it's the fact that it's basically an indie superhero film that's just another example of the Marvelization of Hollywood. You've got people decrying superhero films as an example of the infantilization of the art, and here people plunge head over heels into a love affair with this superhero film. It even has a supervillain in Jobu Tupaki.

I'm rewatching it now and had to pause a little under half way in because it's just a bit exhausting. There's some things I really like about it up to this point (Quan, Yeoh, the thematic heart of it), but the frantic tossing out of "quirky" nonsense like the Everything Bagel Blackhole and the world of cheese-filled sausage fingers is jut tiresome. I still think the film is too long and too undisciplined.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

I still think the film is too long and too undisciplined.

My son said something similar.  That he feels like the film just threw shit at the wall and said it was funny.  The dildo beatdown is one of his big complaints.  He thinks it is stupid and over the top.  I found it funny.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My son said something similar.  That he feels like the film just threw shit at the wall and said it was funny.  The dildo beatdown is one of his big complaints.  He thinks it is stupid and over the top.  I found it funny.

Having used a dildo to beat people into unconsciousness in my time (in Cyberpunk 2077 , I mean), it's both funny and stupid and over the top, and in the film it's just quite crass -- especially when paired with the butt plugs and their role in the film.

But these are the guys who made a film about a farting corpse, so crassness is to be expected, I guess?

Personally it’s the ‘ I don’t give a shit’ nature of the movie that really appealed to me, it’s a movie that just delighted in creating ideas and scenes that were just intended to instil joy in the viewer. The whole movie is telling you to just fucking enjoy yourself and stop over thinking everything. It’s ironic that the people who seem to viscerally hate it are big over thinkers 

37 minutes ago, Ran said:

:stunned:

Your takes on cinema are truly spectacular!

Why? I don’t think many people would rank the original as the best in the series and several others are more rewatchable. The first one is kind of boring.

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This goes both ways to be fair. To the point one of the Daniels (Kwan) posted a thread at the start of awards season aimed specifically at the film's fans asking them to stop being so aggressive if they saw someone preferring something else over it. For whatever reason it has provoked very visceral feelings in a lot of people.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why? I don’t think many people would rank the original as the best in the series and several others are more rewatchable. The first one is kind of boring.

Rocky has by far the strongest critical consensus behind it. Just look up the lists ranking the Rocky films -- Rocky always ranks above all the other Rocky films.

I don't doubt that you find parts of it boring, but to me those sections are actually the thing that elevate it into one of the greatest sports films (where it's pretty much always in the rankings, whereas its sequels aren't).

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

This goes both ways to be fair. To the point one of the Daniels (Kwan) posted a thread at the start of awards season aimed specifically at the film's fans asking them to stop being so aggressive if they saw someone preferring something else over it. For whatever reason it has provoked very visceral feelings in a lot of people.

I love Kwan for doing this, and more than once.

52 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Personally it’s the ‘ I don’t give a shit’ nature of the movie that really appealed to me, it’s a movie that just delighted in creating ideas and scenes that were just intended to instil joy in the viewer. The whole movie is telling you to just fucking enjoy yourself and stop over thinking everything. It’s ironic that the people who seem to viscerally hate it are big over thinkers 

I’m and “overthinker” so is my Daughter.  We loved EEAAO.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:lol:

I couldn't answer you there, because I don't hate when other people enjoy something, I just tend to be very open about not liking something. I suppose I do not like when enough people enjoy something I don't like that it becomes the dominant form of entertainment (superhero franchises, for instance). But generally I support other people liking things, even if I don't myself like them. Particularly a movie like this, which I will admit is a distinct effort in moviemaking. I support the idea of EEAO, even though I dislike the execution and am baffled by the extent others like it.

59 minutes ago, Ran said:

Rocky has by far the strongest critical consensus behind it. Just look up the lists ranking the Rocky films -- Rocky always ranks above all the other Rocky films.

I don't doubt that you find parts of it boring, but to me those sections are actually the thing that elevate it into one of the greatest sports films (where it's pretty much always in the rankings, whereas its sequels aren't).

Of course it has the highest critical backing, it won BP, but that wasn't my point. I don't think many fans of the franchise would tell you it's their favorite.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Of course it has the highest critical backing, it won BP, but that wasn't my point. I don't think many fans of the franchise would tell you it's their favorite.

A cursory look on Reddit for a few "Best Rocky Movie?" threads tends to show Rocky as having a plurality of random Reddit users calling it the best film in the franchise, anyways.

It's #1 on Ranker's list which is voted by the public. At 8.1, it's the highest rated film in the franchise on IMDB as well.

Archived