Football: Boehly has a little Lamp

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nope. Its not chatting shit about Rashford to say one swallow doesn't make a summer.

One swallow doesn't make a summer isn't chatting shit. Saying Rashford has only one bird is. Sure, he went through a dreadful extended run of form, at a time when the whole team was falling apart. Before that, he was inconsistent, but still had a lot about him. 

Like, the argument was whether Rashford was worth 60mil or whatever it was. The current form Rashford is showing isn't long-term tested, but if it holds it puts him in a way more expensive ballpark than 60mil. 

On a side note, last game made me even more confident that it will hold. He missed a couple of near-sitters earlier in that game, and in the past that would have caused him to fold, mentally. Instead this time he went 'fuck it' and blasted it in from 30 yards. It's still not certain, but it's pretty clear something's clicked for him at the moment, moreso than his previous runs of form. 

13 hours ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

not sure if it was intended but you put the favorite for each QF in first position IMO

It was unintentionally lol. But imo City -Bayern and Inter - Benfica are even matchings on paper and Benfica is having a strong CL run and are comfortably first in their league so they might be favourites to progress. I agree that Napoli and Real are clear favourites though.

That's the order in which the draw was made. City vs. Bayern and Real vs. Chelsea means that City and Real will be at home in the first leg. Where you got it wrong is the other two fixtures. Both Inter and Milan were drawn at home in the first leg, however due to local regulations they are not allowed to both play home games within 24 hours of each other. So, as domestic champions, Milan's draw takes precedence. Therefore, Milan will be at home to Napoli and Inter away to Benfica in the first leg.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

.Like, the argument was whether Rashford was worth 60mil or whatever it was. The current form Rashford is showing isn't long-term tested, but if it holds it puts him in a way more expensive ballpark than 60mil. 

On a side note, last game made me even more confident that it will hold. He missed a couple of near-sitters earlier in that game, and in the past that would have caused him to fold, mentally. Instead this time he went 'fuck it' and blasted it in from 30 yards. It's still not certain, but it's pretty clear something's clicked for him at the moment, moreso than his previous runs of form. 

Apart from him playing for man utd I hope you are right. He makes the starting 11 of the world 'not a dick team'.

But for someone who has been very very good for 10% of his career and not utterly shit for about 1/3. I'm not spending any meaningful money. You don't/shouldn't pay for erratic inconsistency.

As a fan of assymetrical formations to make best use of players' strengths, I really like the way Bournemouth are setting up with Ouattara in the team. Of the fullbacks, Lloyd Kelly is sitting deep, almost in a back 3, so Jaidon Anthony is playing as a pretty regular winger, whereas Adam Smith on the other side is pushing up very high, holding the line wide so Ouattara is, while still definitely a wide forward, is playing almost the role of a line-running no9 and hold-up striker. 

On the other side, Ollie Watkins' form since the WC has been brilliant. Speaking of strikers who have been coached back into form. 

lmao Wolves have been absolutely gaffled by the officials there. Leeds scored the fourth goal after a blatant shirt pull on Traore, which VAR flagged up but the ref decided to stand by his original call (wrongly). Their bench kicked off, Mateus Nunes who was on it got a red, then went absolutely mental and tried to attack the fourth official it looks like, so he could be sitting out for a while. 

I didn't see it but apparently VAR missed a blatant penalty for Wolves earlier too.

Edited by polishgenius

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

But for someone who has been very very good for 10% of his career and not utterly shit for about 1/3. I'm not spending any meaningful money. You don't/shouldn't pay for erratic inconsistency.

And here is where I keep trying to point out the inconsistency of your criticism. The criticism you level at Rashford applies to Isak as well. You also keep saying that I'm judging him based on a handful of games, as though Isak did not play more than 100 games in Spain (surely that's a big enough sample size). And his record in Spain is what prompted Newcastle to pay €70m for him.

Isak, like Rashford, has also been an inconsistent player. There is no meaningful difference between his and Rashford's goal-to-game ratio (they both average around a goal every three games). Rashford offers more in terms of creative play - Isak provided a total of 8 assists in 132 games in Spain. Yet you appear to believe that €70m for Isak was a good piece of business, but Rashford is not worth even €50m.

I'm glad Spurs dropped points because that benefits us, but that Southampton penalty at the end there was a complete joke. Yet another one to be added to the ever-growing pile of inexplicable VAR decisions. And another decision I'm going to add to the 'it's malicious and not just mere incompetence' pile.

@Consigliere every forward in the history of the game improves their goals per game ratio as they get older. How many goals was Ronaldo scoring at 22/23 compared to 25/26? The conparison is absurd. 

You can say you think Rashford is good and I think he is shit for the majority of his career, they are opinions, but comparing goals per game at different points in their career is stupid. And bearing in mind even though utd are shite recently they are still a perennial top4/6 team and hence of course he is going to have significant goal contributions. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Personally, I think Rashford suffered from a poor team around him, and by the decissions of a few former United managers.

He was looking really good and promising, when LvG introduced him into the first team (say what you will about him, but he can develop talent). Then came Mourinho, who overused him and was close to playing him into the ground. This was partly down to a lack of alternatives. Then came Solskjaer, the attacking options didn't improve much, and Solskjaer was simply not a particularly great manager. Then there was also a lot of outside pressure/stuff going on, with him fighting the good fight against the Tories to feed kids, and the right wing media and some fans turning on him and telling him to focus on football.

Tbf, I didn't think a Rashford renaissance was on either, and I had written him off, too.

But with a better manager and team, he looks much better again.