Football: Boehly has a little Lamp

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Wow, so Boehly sacked Tuchel for reasons and went hard after Potter as his favorite replacement. A week after Tuchel found a new job at a European heavyweight to replace Nagelsmann for (somewhat more/betterish) reasons, Potter gets sacked.

Has somebody convinced Boehly, that Nagelsmann is an upgrade on Potter, because Chelsea seemed determined to see out the storms and give Potter this season to at least to establish himself at the club.

Altho, what would be funny is, if Chelsea hijacked Nagelsmann from Spurs, because reportedly Tuchel was very close to signing with Spurs for the next season(s), before Bayern (surprisingly) called him about that upcoming vacancy.

So that wold be Spurs missing out on the former Chelsea manager, who went to Bayern and the former Bayern manager, who'd go to Chelsea. C'mon now, I can't be the only one who finds that funny.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

before Bayern (surprisingly) called him about that upcoming vacancy.

I don't think there's anything surprising about it to be fair, they tried to get him before he went to PSG.

Well, that they sacked Nagelsmann was surprising.

Their season had not been awful, Nagelsmann has lost 3 games in the league, Bayern won their CL group and eliminated PSG qutie convincingly. There was a dip in form post World Cup, but they still had their fate in their own hand in the league.

So Bayern pulling the trigger on a manager, they paid heavy money for was surprising. If they had been 10 points adrift, and/or were in risk of missing out on CL qualification, then yeah.

I mean Hoeness himself explained earlier today, that Nagelsmann undoing was probably going on a skiing vacation on Monday after they lost to Leverkusen. Had he stayed and discussed with Kahn and Salihamidzic the situation, then there's a fair chance they wouldn't have called Tuchel on Tuesday. Tuchel himself was not expecting that job to become available at short notice. When he received that call, he assumed they wanted to ask about his availability in the summer. Reportedly the phone call went like this:

Tuchel: Yeah, what do you want from me?

Salihamidzic: If you are not interested just hang up.

In the end Tuchel asked for 24 hours to consider the job offer. 

I don't think there was any other manager, that Bayern would have considered as a Nagelsmann replacement. Well, maybe Klopp if he had been available. Anyway, point is, Naglesmann's sacking/the Bayern job becoming available was a huge surprise.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

because Chelsea seemed determined to see out the storms and give Potter this season to at least to establish himself at the club.

There's some suggestion that they were waiting for them to drop into the bottom half, for payoff-reduction reasons. It makes sense, it's the first time they've been outside the top 10 since he took over and they fired him the day after? 

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

There's some suggestion that they were waiting for them to drop into the bottom half, for payoff-reduction reasons. It makes sense, it's the first time they've been outside the top 10 since he took over and they fired him the day after? 

:dunno:  I just assumed that Boehly was overly excited to hire Brendan Rodgers after his Leicester City exit.

Barney Ronay ripping the absolute piss out of Boehly. Glorious stuff.

The end of an error for Chelsea: Graham Potter put out of his misery

A few years ago Todd Boehly did a TV interview where he defined his approach to business as “creating value where there are value gaps”, or in other words seeing the picture more clearly, doing it better, being, at every moment, the smartest guy in the room. Although, watching Boehly and his co-controlling owner Behdad Eghbali’s activities at Chelsea over the last year, it is tempting to wonder exactly which room we’re talking about here, exactly how un-smart that room would have to be to make this dynamic work.

Certainly that room isn’t, to date, European club football, which is proving, once again, to be razor sharp in identifying the mark at the table, out there slapping down those chips, top hat askew, loose rolls of cash fluttering gaily from his trouser turn-ups. And least of all on the day Chelsea have finally decided to sack Graham Potter, thus taking the total cost of hiring Graham Potter for seven months to at least £50m.

This total is made up of a £21m release fee to Brighton, a £13m payoff for Champions League winner Thomas Tuchel and something similar for Potter now (this is rarely the full value of a contract, but hey, we’re on Todd time now! Value gaps!). To this must be added the cost of missing out on the Champions League and the procurement of another manager. Add in £550m spent on a laughably random assortment of players, almost all of whom have already depreciated because everyone looks bad in this light. And right now it is hard to think of a more concertedly idiotic spell in charge of an elite football club than the last 12 months of mercurial disruption, a business model so disruptive it seeks, above all, to aggressively disrupt its own product, because, hey, nobody expects that.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:24 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Nobody cares about this match, the big game is tomorrow.

My nephew is flying over from Norway for his first game in person, i bet he's a little curse.

went as i expected. the better side showed up and took care of business.

Totally silly from Doucoure to put his hand there. 

Seemed like Kane was going blind for a minute or two, but I find it more likely he's attended the Ashley Young school of football.

As such, delightful to see Keane hit home. Well, that goal would have been a delight anytime.

We didnt even deserve a point from that game. Sitting back and defending a lead against 10 men. I guess what do you expect from Conte's no.2? It's gonna be a long rest of the season.

I really don't understand the Spurs idea of "well, we're ahead and they're down to 10. Let's ... let's let them have the ball! That'll totally work!"

But can't fault the effort our players showed there. They pressed hard and well, for long stretches, and kept it up even into overtime. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65028657

Gammon meltdown on social media coming in 3,2,1!

I remember about 15 years ago I was playing in the Met Cup final, one of our players was fasting and his mate had a full chocolate cake at the side of the pitch.  He was fucking rubbish for the first 30 minutes, but once he ate that cake he was a totally different player.  

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65028657

Gammon meltdown on social media coming in 3,2,1!

I remember about 15 years ago I was playing in the Met Cup final, one of our players was fasting and his mate had a full chocolate cake at the side of the pitch.  He was fucking rubbish for the first 30 minutes, but once he ate that cake he was a totally different player.  

Seems like a very reasonable and worthy accommodation for player health, and I’m generally dismissive of religious genuflecting.

I’m not surprised the French are being adamant and militant in their refusal to make space for any religiosity.  That appears to be the hill they’re willing to die on.

Just to comment on the Wrexham situation again: how it must suck to be Notts County atm.

They have lost two and drawn 10 from 41 so far, and they have 97 points. Woking in third and Chesterfield in fourth have 72 points, and can get max 18 from their last 6 games. Any other season, they'd be nailed on for promotion. Instead, they're three points behind Wrexham, having played one game more.

There'll be playoffs, I guess, but Wrexham came in 2nd a year ago...

26 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Just to comment on the Wrexham situation again: how it must suck to be Notts County atm.

They have lost two and drawn 10 from 41 so far, and they have 97 points. Woking in third and Chesterfield in fourth have 72 points, and can get max 18 from their last 6 games. Any other season, they'd be nailed on for promotion. Instead, they're three points behind Wrexham, having played one game more.

There'll be playoffs, I guess, but Wrexham came in 2nd a year ago...

The bank holiday Monday game between them is at Wrexham aswell. If they don't win that it's probably over for them. 

Archived