Football: Boehly has a little Lamp

A Horse Named Stranger

Hmm, yeah, not sure about that. Di Canio got 11 games for pushing a ref. I really don’t think they should be handing out lighter penalties from that benchmark. If anything they should probably be going the other way.

41 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Hmm, yeah, not sure about that. Di Canio got 11 games for pushing a ref. I really don’t think they should be handing out lighter penalties from that benchmark. If anything they should probably be going the other way.

To be fair Di Canio didn't get 11 games for pushing a ref. He got 11 games for kicking Martin Keown, trying to scratch his eyes out, and then pushing a ref. And he pushed the ref a fair bit harder than Mitrovic did. 

When you consider that Ben Thatcher once got 8 games for forearm smashing Pedro Mendes, while Chris Morgan didn't get anything at all for nearly murdering Ian Hume, you could say Mitrovic could feel hard done by.

But all things considered I think it's about right. A little for the push, a little extra for refusing to go off and continuing to scream at him. 

I know I'm mostly kicking myself here, but it was strange watching Chelsea - Liverpool last night. It felt very much like what I've been watching most of my life. 

Two clubs who tried to keep a tempo way above their skill level. 

The result? A disjointed effort where easy passes go astray, finishing is rushed, movement is out of sync and both teams look ordinary. Given the players on the field, that's quite the achievement.

NVM i found it.  Unsurprisingly it was Leicester following the title season, and Chelsea following 2014/15 season.  Both had 37 point drop, Liverpool are on target for 3rd biggest with 33 points if they maintain current PPG. 

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

But all things considered I think it's about right. A little for the push, a little extra for refusing to go off and continuing to scream at him.

I know 'won't somebody think of the children watching' is the standard line trotted out for everything that happens in the Premier League but I actually do kind of think this is something that's important for the wider game and the FA needs to come down really hard on. Getting people to referee football matches is a serious problem for the game and a middling punishment for someone getting physical with a referee (even if it wasn't that bad) at the top level doesn't cut it for me.

Apparently the FA agree and are going to appeal.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I know 'won't somebody think of the children watching' is the standard line trotted out for everything that happens in the Premier League but I actually do kind of think this is something that's important for the wider game and the FA needs to come down really hard on. Getting people to referee football matches is a serious problem for the game and a middling punishment for someone getting physical with a referee (even if it wasn't that bad) at the top level doesn't cut it for me.

Apparently the FA agree and are going to appeal.

I tend to agree with this, since I feel respect for the ref is being slowly eroded in football. Constant complaining, teams surronding the ref etc at top level translates downward, and means it's harder to get someone to ref at low levels. 

Anecdotally, I remember clearly when a young boy (16, I think) was surronded by the opposing team (all of them!) in a match I played .... 20 odd years ago. He seemed scared out of his wits at that point. That's the kind of behaviour that is sort of encouraged with all the focus on the referee these days. Combined with top level players showing less respect, we're heading for trouble.

Football needs an overhaul of rules regarding communication between referees and players/managers/staff.

I'd really like to see rules more like the ones in ice hockey or rugby. Only the captain (or alternate captain in ice hockey) can speak to the referee unless spoken to. In my opinion, players crowding the ref should earn them bans and getting physical with the ref is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Of course, that doesn't mean that refs shouldn't be held accountable for their behaviour, too.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Football needs an overhaul of rules regarding communication between referees and players/managers/staff.

I'd really like to see rules more like the ones in ice hockey or rugby. Only the captain (or alternate captain in ice hockey) can speak to the referee unless spoken to. In my opinion, players crowding the ref should earn them bans and getting physical with the ref is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Of course, that doesn't mean that refs shouldn't be held accountable for their behaviour, too.

This is the thing, it doesn't seem like a remotely difficult problem to solve.  See how others sports deal with the problem and learn from it. 

I would like a rule where a referee has to plant their feet when making a decision, as soon as someone barges into them get them sent off.  I remember referees running backwards away from Man Utd in the Keane era repeatedly and it set an absurd precedent. 

Archived