ASOIAF Confessions

I haven’t seen one of these threads in a while, so I thought I’d start up a new one. Here are two of my confessions:

1. I like the food descriptions and wish we knew what all of the 77 dishes served at Joffrey’s wedding feast were.

2. At this point, I’d rather George focused on finishing Dunk & Egg and Fire & Blood instead of Winds. Whatever the reason, whether he’s blocked or bored or anxious or something else, he can’t bring himself to finish this book. I have more hope that we’d get new material if he focused his energy on something else. Plus I happen to adore both projects.

36 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

1. I like the food descriptions and wish we knew what all of the 77 dishes served at Joffrey’s wedding feast were.

Agreed! I love the food descriptions. I mean, I really do love food. But also, I find that the food writing almost always serves narrative purposes. Sometime it merely provides a snapshot of the characters' surroundings (like the poor fare at the Wall), but often it sheds light onto the larger culture, for both good (Winterfell's harvest feast) and ill (The Red Wedding, The Purple Wedding, Tyrion and Illyrio's nauseating time together). So many people cite the food writing as pointless indulgence, but I'm much more inclined to think that about random lists of house heraldry than I am about the food.

Am I the only person who owns A Feast of Ice and Fire? There's a lot of stuff I still haven't made, but I really liked the lemoncakes!

36 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

2. At this point, I’d rather George focused on finishing Dunk & Egg and Fire & Blood instead of Winds. Whatever the reason, whether he’s blocked or bored or anxious or something else, he can’t bring himself to finish this book. I have more hope that we’d get new material if he focused his energy on something else. Plus I happen to adore both projects.

:bawl:

Actually, my confession to make is that I mostly find the Targaryen history writing to be thoroughly uninteresting. Partially this is because it's not as thoroughly conceived and fleshed out as the story proper, and it reads rather dry. But also because I find decadent royalty to be incredibly tedious stuff.

I still haven't finished Fire and Blood. It's painful to me, but I am going through it, if only for possible clues and symbolic parallels.

I have enjoyed Sam's arc, he started out as timid bullied fat kid who is growing into his manhood.  Gilly and Sam make a cute couple and I hope Sam has a big role to play in the upcoming books.

14 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Actually, my confession to make is that I mostly find the Targaryen history writing to be thoroughly uninteresting. Partially this is because it's not as thoroughly conceived and fleshed out as the story proper, and it reads rather dry. But also because I find decadent royalty to be incredibly tedious stuff.

I still haven't finished Fire and Blood. It's painful to me, but I am going through it, if only for possible clues and symbolic parallels.

Same here. I like some Targs very much, especially more recent ones. But their whole “history” and the insane incest and constant backstabbing and how horrible they were with each other (for the most part)… then also the names that I keep confusing. Meh. 
I read F&B as it came out and I can’t remember a single detail from it. 

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

It does annoy me when him and his high and mighty Aerys-loving friends get so snobby and look down on Jaime. At least Jaime bothered to make a fuss about poor Rhaella.

Exactly. High and mighty and oh so dutiful. I have to say, I started liking him a little better in Dance precisely because he has regrets about being so bloody dutiful back in the day. 

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

It does annoy me when him and his high and mighty Aerys-loving friends get so snobby and look down on Jaime. At least Jaime bothered to make a fuss about poor Rhaella.

I get so frustrated reading about him taking charge in Meereen in Dany's absence. Sir, I know you're trying to help but maybe stop.

16 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I have enjoyed Sam's arc, he started out as timid bullied fat kid who is growing into his manhood.  Gilly and Sam make a cute couple and I hope Sam has a big role to play in the upcoming books.

To that effect, and I've said this before, but I don't hate the "fat pink mast" scene, or "Myrish swamp." The first one was sad and endearing, the latter appropriately disturbing.

But "her cunt became the world" is where I draw the line. Cease and desist!

3 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I've said this before, but I don't hate the "fat pink mast" scene

I know that GRRM was trying show Sam being shy, uncomfortable and all that about his first time having sex, but the fans! Good grief, for so many that's all they remember and it's too bad. 

9 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I sometimes think he's a bit full of himself.

Yeah mr honour who let aerys brutaly abuse his wife and the 2 starks and didnt say shit.

Mr toughguy whos had an issue with jamie for like a decade but aint said shit , i wonder why he wouldnt speak his mind to the younger ,faster,  stronger knight whos also probably  just a skilled a swordsman.

And worse of all for all his b.s he cleary reads his kings last words and fails to do the right thing and stand by ned to save his own skin

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I know that GRRM was trying show Sam being shy, uncomfortable and all that about his first time having sex, but the fans! Good grief, for so many that's all they remember and it's too bad. 

Exactly. That scene is not meant to be sexy or hot or whatever, but awkward and uncomfortable to a degree. Imo. 

36 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I have to confess...I don't like Stannis.

And I don't think Oberyn is cool at all.

And I think the Faith of the Seven is the best religion.

I do like Stannis, but only from his arrival at the Wall. Prior to that, I think he's essentially a villain.

I like Oberyn, but I understand why people wouldn't.

My own confession: I have found almost all the Ironborn POV chapters, especially Aeron's, and including Theon-as-Reek's, to be really quite dull.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Exactly. That scene is not meant to be sexy or hot or whatever, but awkward and uncomfortable to a degree. Imo. 

Except for Gilly, that fat pink mast wasn't attached to Craster and she enjoyed the hell out of it.  Sam got lucky, in more ways than one with dear Gilly.

Archived