ASOIAF Confessions

14 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I know that GRRM was trying show Sam being shy, uncomfortable and all that about his first time having sex, but the fans! Good grief, for so many that's all they remember and it's too bad. 

I don't like "fat pink mast" at all, but for me the worst part of the scene was not that but Sam sucking milk from her breasts. That's just weird.

32 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t like the Blackfish, I think he’s an arsehole. There, I said it. :leaving:

Hes a prick 

Shitting on edmure for messing up a plan he wasnt in  on 

The cheek to suggest edmure has been the fuck up tully when HE was the famous knight abandoning the riverlands to ' protect'  lysa in arguably the most secure fortress.on earth  and refused a series of marriages that could have won them the  wot5k or at least kept him in the riverlands to advise edmure not to divide his forces!!!

3 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I don't like "fat pink mast" at all, but for me the worst part of the scene was not that but Sam sucking milk from her breasts. That's just weird.

I thought the milk scene was weird too.  GRRM doesn't write the greatest sex scenes, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, astarkchoice said:

Hes a prick 

Shitting on edmure for messing up a plan he wasnt in  on 

The cheek to suggest edmure has been the fuck up tully when HE was the famous knight abandoning the riverlands to protect lysa in arguably the most secure fortress.on earth  and refused a series of marriages that could have won them the  wot5k or at least kept him in the riverlands to advise edmure not to divide his forces!!!

He is, a prick and an arsehole. I never understood all the love he gets from the fandom. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I thought the milk scene was weird too.  GRRM doesn't write the greatest sex scenes, that's for sure.

He definitely doesn't. He defends hissex scenes by saying "nobody has a problem with the violence but they lose their minds over the sex" or equivalent... but the problem isn't, as far as I'm concerned, that he's writing about sex in detail; rather, it's that the way he writes them is often horrible. When they're supposed to be sexy, they're not, and when they're not supposed to be sexy, they're just kind of gross.

I confess Sighorn and Alys dancing at their wedding and Jamie not honoring, but not letting anyone give Pia any more shit are probably my 2 most favorite scenes in the series.  Sam and Gilly, yep, way up there.  Oddly, the big ones did not move me Jon and Ygritte, Dany and Drogo or Dario, Sansa and Sandor, no one.  

I confess there is a part of me who secretly adores 75% of the A and B players in this tale.  Not the Gregors and Vargos and raping bards, but most of the rest of them. 

55 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I can agree that Tryion is a jaded, violent, little misogynist prick, but I still like reading about him.  

Yeah, people go way overboard with hating Tyrion. I think this stuff is probably cyclical though, and will die down eventually.

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Agreed! I love the food descriptions. I mean, I really do love food. But also, I find that the food writing almost always serves narrative purposes. Sometime it merely provides a snapshot of the characters' surroundings (like the poor fare at the Wall), but often it sheds light onto the larger culture, for both good (Winterfell's harvest feast) and ill (The Red Wedding, The Purple Wedding, Tyrion and Illyrio's nauseating time together). So many people cite the food writing as pointless indulgence, but I'm much more inclined to think that about random lists of house heraldry than I am about the food.

Am I the only person who owns A Feast of Ice and Fire? There's a lot of stuff I still haven't made, but I really liked the lemoncakes!

:bawl:

Actually, my confession to make is that I mostly find the Targaryen history writing to be thoroughly uninteresting. Partially this is because it's not as thoroughly conceived and fleshed out as the story proper, and it reads rather dry. But also because I find decadent royalty to be incredibly tedious stuff.

I still haven't finished Fire and Blood. It's painful to me, but I am going through it, if only for possible clues and symbolic parallels.

If you want to try a strange sensory experience, read one of the feast scenes while eating food you like. It makes me enjoy my meal even more.

24 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Yeah, people go way overboard with hating Tyrion. I think this stuff is probably cyclical though, and will die down eventually.

He was always generally hated on, but now it's just ridiculous 

25 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If you want to try a strange sensory experience, read one of the feast scenes while eating food you like. It makes me enjoy my meal even more.

Lol that's great!

Confession, if it wasn't for Fire&Blood, twoiaf would be the most boring thing I've ever looked at

1 hour ago, Alester Florent said:

I do like Stannis, but only from his arrival at the Wall. Prior to that, I think he's essentially a villain.

I like Oberyn, but I understand why people wouldn't.

My own confession: I have found almost all the Ironborn POV chapters, especially Aeron's, and including Theon-as-Reek's, to be really quite dull.

I have a weird fascination with Aeron. And I wanna see this infamous look he gives that supposedly makes children cry :rofl:

8 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

I own A Feast of Ice and Fire but have never cooked anything from it, mainly out of laziness.

Try the sisters' stew; it's awesome, and pretty easy to cook. You can do it in one big pot; you just need to add the cream slowly, a bit at a time, instead of warming it up in a separate pot. On a related note, I'll confess that I've had the book for several years, and still haven't tried any of the other recipes.

Just now, Aebram said:

I sometimes feel slightly guilty when I realize that I know more about the history and geography of Westeros then I do about real-life medieval Europe.

Play CKII/III. Politics and backstabbing and dynastic struggles like Westeros/real life, learn European geography and history.

9 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

I have a weird fascination with Aeron. And I wanna see this infamous look he gives that supposedly makes children cry :rofl:

See I hated Aeron and only tolerated his chapters for Euron. But that Forsaken chapter may be the best written chapter in the whole series

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

He is, a prick and an arsehole. I never understood all the love he gets from the fandom. :dunno:

Just imagine if hed dine his duty for his house ans  said yes to that rewyne girl! Or lord walders offer or even the brackens

Hed be there in the riverlands, jamie and tywin would have been ambushed by the full non spread out  riverlands forces and sent packing....one short wot5k! 

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t understand why his argument with Jaime in AFFC is so hyped. It may make sense for the character, but to me he just comes across as such a douche.

Yes, same here. And by the way, douchy is a great adjective for the Blackfish, love it! 

Archived