ASOIAF Confessions

Possible "unpopular" opinion / confession here, but I think the Green supporters are attention seekers. I'm not saying that Rhaenerya or Daemon are saints by any means, but Alicent and Otto are so in the wrong for seizing the throne and causing the Dance of the Dragons. Albeit there were many things prior to the Dance that could have been done to present it, my point stands. Those that support the Greens support them solely to be outspokenly different

3 minutes ago, KingStoneheart said:

Possible "unpopular" opinion / confession here, but I think the Green supporters are attention seekers. I'm not saying that Rhaenerya or Daemon are saints by any means, but Alicent and Otto are so in the wrong for seizing the throne and causing the Dance of the Dragons. Albeit there were many things prior to the Dance that could have been done to present it, my point stands. Those that support the Greens support them solely to be outspokenly different

That's a major generalization, and an odd accusation tbh.

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

I support the Greens because I like the colour green and I don't like Rhaenyra or Daemon...

Green is a lovely color and the Hightowers give it a powerful look. Red and black is just :ack: 

I'm team smallfolk first and foremost

Spoiler

(love the part where they storm the dragonpit)

but a special shoutout to my girl Alicent who is a total girlfail and I'm here for it.

I confess that I don't like, that people don't like Sir Barristan Selmy. The man is an OG Legend, show some respect. :) 

Also, I confess that both Lannister brothers are some of the best chapters to read, which is tough to admit with my Northern sensibilities. 

Just now, Northern Sword said:

I confess that I don't like, that people don't like Sir Barristan Selmy. The man is an OG Legend, show some respect. :) 

Also, I confess that both Lannister brothers are some of the best chapters to read, which is tough to admit with my Northern sensibilities. 

Well excuuuuuse me!

I confess that I don't like people that don't like the people that don't like Ser Barristan Selmy. :whip:

4 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Green is a lovely color and the Hightowers give it a powerful look. Red and black is just :ack: 

I'm team smallfolk first and foremost

Reveal hidden contents

(love the part where they storm the dragonpit)

but a special shoutout to my girl Alicent who is a total girlfail and I'm here for it.

Yes, I found it weirdly inspiring when they stormed the Dragonpit. I know a lot of people died but it did send a clear message to the Targaryens that the Smallfolk won't put up with their nonsense forever.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I actually don't mind red and black in combo with white or yellow but as it stands now Targaryen sigil breaches rules of heraldry and I just can't have that. Green alone is better.

Just wait until King's Landing goes up in green flame, you'll like that. ;) I always thought House Vance of Atranta had cool sigil/colors.

Sometimes I decide which house I'd like to be born into based off their colors, because I love fashion. I have a pale complexion with blue undertones, I would die if I had to wear red and black at every special occasion. I'd prefer Dayne colors or even Tarth and Sunderly. And...Bolton :bawl: (I look good in pink.) House Tully is a maybe.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Yes, I found it weirdly inspiring when they stormed the Dragonpit. I know a lot of people died but it did send a clear message to the Targaryens that the Smallfolk won't put up with their nonsense forever.

Yes humans overcomming dragons was awesome

In fact give  the targs domminace im suprised its not a bigger deal! I mean if im a high lord during their peak id say thinking and planning ways to end dragons seems like a high priority !!! Esp if like a lannister i have basicaly infinite gold to fund my plots

1 hour ago, astarkchoice said:

Yes humans overcomming dragons was awesome

In fact give  the targs domminace im suprised its not a bigger deal! I mean if im a high lord during their peak id say thinking and planning ways to end dragons seems like a high priority !!! Esp if like a lannister i have basicaly infinite gold to fund my plots

I think the influence of money is somewhat overestimated by the fans at times. It can give you a great deal of political power, but resources are still much more limited in general. You can't just magic up food or troops by throwing money at the problem, and the state of science is such that the return on a R&D budget is likely to be relatively small, almost certainly not enough to come up with something capable of reliably downing dragons.

At the peak of the Targ dynasty under Jaehaerys and Viserys the number of dragons at the ruling house's disposal was so large, and folk memories of the Conquest sufficiently recent, that rebelling "for the sake of it" would surely seem much less attractive than it does later on - the risk/reward ratio is just too unfavourable. A family like the Lannisters are better off working with the Targs than against them.

But I think we may also underestimate the inherent respect people had towards the Targs under Jaehaerys and Viserys (and continuing in diminishing form probably right the way down to the end of the dynasty). The doctrine of exceptionalism is pretty much a kind of divine right theory: the Targs are endorsed by the Seven as the kingdom's rightful rulers, they're impossibly beautiful, and they have exclusive access to superweapons, which they ride for fun. The idea of a rebellion to overthrow them might well have seemed not just dangerous but sacrilegious.

1 hour ago, Alester Florent said:

I think the influence of money is somewhat overestimated by the fans at times. It can give you a great deal of political power, but resources are still much more limited in general. You can't just magic up food or troops by throwing money at the problem, and the state of science is such that the return on a R&D budget is likely to be relatively small, almost certainly not enough to come up with something capable of reliably downing dragons.

At the peak of the Targ dynasty under Jaehaerys and Viserys the number of dragons at the ruling house's disposal was so large, and folk memories of the Conquest sufficiently recent, that rebelling "for the sake of it" would surely seem much less attractive than it does later on - the risk/reward ratio is just too unfavourable. A family like the Lannisters are better off working with the Targs than against them.

But I think we may also underestimate the inherent respect people had towards the Targs under Jaehaerys and Viserys (and continuing in diminishing form probably right the way down to the end of the dynasty). The doctrine of exceptionalism is pretty much a kind of divine right theory: the Targs are endorsed by the Seven as the kingdom's rightful rulers, they're impossibly beautiful, and they have exclusive access to superweapons, which they ride for fun. The idea of a rebellion to overthrow them might well have seemed not just dangerous but sacrilegious.

Dunno man the maesters might disagree there...we dont know how culpable they are in dragons extinction

I agree about the food descriptions. I enjoy them very much. Once, reading Sansa got me so hungry for lemon cakes I looked up a recipe and attempted to bake one. I am not much of a baker, but it turned out decent enough. :D

This is a very small and insignificant thing, but I never warmed up to the continent names except for Westeros and Essos.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:07 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I sometimes think he's a bit full of himself.

Barristan is much too much focused on his precious honor and chivalry code. Losing sight of what is the right, humanity loving things to do.

I like Rhaegar. But I'm tired of the Targaryens endless bloodshed reign.

I'd rather be reading a story about Baratheons fucking up and leading everyone into a mess because they are just too damn prideful than a story centered about the Targaryens or Starks.

Baratheons are way cooler.

Cersei is easily the best Lannister sibling.  Jaime's story from good to bad and from bad to good is meh.

10 hours ago, frenin said:

I'd rather be reading a story about Baratheons fucking up and leading everyone into a mess because they are just too damn prideful than a story centered about the Targaryens or Starks.

Baratheons are way cooler.

Cersei is easily the best Lannister sibling.  Jaime's story from good to bad and from bad to good is meh.

Wow, are you and I different people. I disagree with everything you just said. lol

Cersei, the best Lannister sibling... Sounds weird saying it. Doesn't make sense thinking it. Troubles me as I type it. 

Jamie, I started out hating, as he threw a kid from a window(not sure how that is a good starting point), now to the point where I'm cheering for him(at least to survive)

As for the story, you ARE reading a story about the Baratheon's fucking up. You don't get to a war of 5 kings because things were going great. And them being better then the Targ's, Come on. Stop it.

Archived