Ted Lasso (new seasons… new reasons)(spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Just finished the first episode.  He’s still Ted.  I can see why it’s likely a three season show.  Ted wants to go home.  I wonder when Ted will dig into Nate or if he will keep trying to kill Nate with kindness.  I also want to know when Roy started dating his neice’s teacher.  I suspect that’s the real reason for the breakup.

I also wonder how much control Keelie really has at her PR firm.  If someone else controls the money… is she really “in charge”.  Will Nate be redeemed?  Or will he find redemption by doing well at West Ham?

Discuss…

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

15 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I also want to know when Roy started dating his neice’s teacher.  I suspect that’s the real reason for the breakup.

Unless I missed something in the episode, I can't possibly see that being the reason, because (1) it'd make Roy an arsehole and (2) they're definitely getting back together. 

I've rarely hated a character as much as I hate Nate. I'm fairly sure he'll be redeemed in some ways, but I'm gonna find it hard to forgive him.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I've rarely hated a character as much as I hate Nate. I'm fairly sure he'll be redeemed in some ways, but I'm gonna find it hard to forgive him.

Ted refuses to hate or run down Nate. I think Ted is struggling with this but he is desperately trying to think of Nate as someone he cares about despite Nate’s overt betrayal.

Look at Nate’s face when he sees Twitter turn on him and show love for Ted for being Ted.  That was a subtle and interesting moment.  Nate sees how his lashing out hurt him… then gets a car.  

I’m really curious to see Rupert fleshed out.  Will he be more than a mustache twirling villian?  I sincerely hope so.

I think I already like season 3 more than season 2, but I'm keeping an open mind. Season 2 really fell into the schmaltz trap and was far too often just a lazy rom com show that barely felt like it was trying. I get the sense that this season might just be a bit tighter and maybe actually try and tell a story outside of a number of worn out cliches. 

I am interested to see where they go with Nate. In reality a former kitman would be given about 3 games before being sacked if he didn't win every single game. The narrative there is just too clear. The fans would turn on him immediately, he's not even a West Ham hero, or Lampard! 

But he is one of the more interesting characters on the show so I want him to go full villain! 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

But he is one of the more interesting characters on the show so I want him to go full villain! 

Nate will need self contained self confidence to do that.  Everything Nate does seems, to me, to be in search of external short term validation.  He’s got to be able to see the long game and have a long term goal to really become the “villian” of the piece.

Rupert is the one who is interesting to me.  Everything we have is from Rebecca’s perspective.  We don’t really know who Rupert is and why he is at least as desperate to hurt Rebecca as she was to hurt him.

15 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A very Football focused episode for the second episode of the season…

Which was an odd experience as a football fan coz this show is never realistic but the way Zava's signing worked was pushing the boundaries even for Ted Lasso. 

Still, very entertaining episode. Zlatan Zava should be fun, and they're clearly going to have an arc with him and Jamie. 

ps I wonder if Trent x Rebecca is one of the romance plays on the table here. Their interaction in her office suggested it to me. And he's actually an appropriate age. 

49 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Which was an odd experience as a football fan coz this show is never realistic but the way Zava's signing worked was pushing the boundaries even for Ted Lasso. 

Still, very entertaining episode. Zlatan Zava should be fun, and they're clearly going to have an arc with him and Jamie. 

ps I wonder if Trent x Rebecca is one of the romance plays on the table here. Their interaction in her office suggested it to me. And he's actually an appropriate age. 

Daaaaamn… Roy Kent carries a grudge 3 generations… doesn’t he?

On 3/22/2023 at 7:45 PM, polishgenius said:

Yeah this episode smashed me over the face repeatedly with the realisation that this show has zero interest in depicting how a football club runs at all. The scouting department for Richmond literally doesn't exist. No idea what they would do with analytics. 

I suspect this show was ghost written by Harry Redknapp, as an advert for how you can succeed in football by having a few boozy lunches and getting players to just run around a bit.

Zlatan / Zaha was pretty on the nose, should be a fun character, but almost certainly can't be as outlandish as the real thing. 

I saw recently this show is not doing very well in the UK, the subtext being that it's depiction of football is so unrealistic that its just putting people off. Not sure that ever stopped Footballers Wives. More likely its because Apple TV+ is not popular over here.

I hope not. 

I mean, in real life terms he can't, but since they don't care, there's a good chance of it. But I hope there's more of an arc of Ted (and Jamie) getting through to him than, you know, that. 

But I saw someone suggest that Zava will hurt or step on Danny Rojas in some way and Jamie will come to the fore and take leadership then. That does make sense. Jamie's on the anti-Nate arc and something that'd make him step up to a real leader is almost definitely on the cards. And he probably is too overwhelming a character to be a permanent fixture tbh.

Edited by polishgenius

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I hope not. 

I mean, in real life terms he can't, but since they don't care, there's a good chance of it. But I hope there's more of an arc of Ted (and Jamie) getting through to him than, you know, that. 

But I saw someone suggest that Zava will hurt or step on Danny Rojas in some way and Jamie will come to the fore and take leadership then. That does make sense. Jamie's on the anti-Nate arc and something that'd make him step up to a real leader is almost definitely on the cards.

I’m a little surprised at the new Colin arc.  I would have thought Colin being gay would have been no big deal.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I would have thought Colin being gay would have been no big deal.

In the history of English football there have only been two out (male) players: one currently, who plays in the Championship (second division), and Justin Fashanu in the 90s who was so abused he committed suicide. 

Like, I'd hazard a guess that there are some players out privately to their friends/their team, but yeah, it is (shamefully) a big deal. 

I liked this episode, feels like the show is back on its feet a bit.. but wow it annoys me when characters sound like they are being possessed by the writers and say weird shit they would never say.

The idea that Jamie Tartt knows who Stevie Nicks is just doesn’t add up. It’s such a fall back tactic for the writers to rinse laughter out of dead moments.

20 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The idea that Jamie Tartt knows who Stevie Nicks is just doesn’t add up.

I don't see why not. She's hardly obscure. And he named his little toy soldier after Ted Danson. But also Jamie's writing this season is seemingly about showing there's a bit more to him than all that Jack Grealish stuff. Like 'I weren't being ironic, I was being hypocritical'. So it's a deliberate character turn, not a random line.

On the other hands, I don't like what they're doing to Danny. He was always goofy and a one-note character, but he was never presented as an imbecile, and he is now. A weird, creepy imbecile, in Zava's presence. 

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't see why not. She's hardly obscure. And he named his little toy soldier after Ted Danson

Him knowing who Ted Danson is another example of unrealistic writing. 

Sure they can make it that he’s a bit deeper than he makes on, but this is a trend where characters name check shows, music or movies that they probably wouldn’t be aware of if they were football players, but are common knowledge to the writers. 

It’s also a constant nod to the US audience, which really takes me out of the show. If Jamie was talking about Steps or S Club 7 references I’d get it, but the writers don’t know who that is.

59 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Him knowing who Ted Danson is another example of unrealistic writing. 

Sure they can make it that he’s a bit deeper than he makes on, but this is a trend where characters name check shows, music or movies that they probably wouldn’t be aware of if they were football players, but are common knowledge to the writers. 

It’s also a constant nod to the US audience, which really takes me out of the show. If Jamie was talking about Steps or S Club 7 references I’d get it, but the writers don’t know who that is.

I see what you are getting at.  It is the prevalence of discussions of American pop culture that is the problem… from UK based characters. 

Americans will not catch it because we operate with the mistaken view that we are the center of the English speaking world…

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I see what you are getting at.  It is the prevalence of discussions of American pop culture that is the problem… from UK based characters. 

Americans will not catch it because we operate with the mistaken view that we are the center of the English speaking world…

Yeah exactly. It’s the US centric nature of discussions, which makes sense when Ted says it, but seems fucking weird when anyone English says it. 

Plus the age thing. I’m twice Jamie Tartts age and even I would struggle to tell you who Stevie Nicks is. Ted Danson is someone I remember having to explain to British friends who he was, because it’s not like they watched Cheers, and Good Life is pretty niche. 

So much of the writing just feels like a lazy brain fart from the writers who are either not bothered to understand anything about the UK or are terrified of scaring off American audiences