UK Politics - Asset stripping on a national scale

Which Tyler

37 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah. Here. I used a racial term in a sarcastic way that other people found disagreeable, and they told me so, and I accepted it and changed my behavior. I didn't try to inflame it into an attack on my character or claim victimhood.

I've also been on the other side. I politely informed a fellow poster on the NFL thread that we had stopped using gendered insults, and everybody went on with their lives.

Just the fact that you're asking, and in that way, tells me you are actively assuming the worst intent of others, which i have called out before, or you are looking for chances to claim persecution. 

Same here. I remember using the D word in what I thought was a non-racist fashion. Nobody suggested I was actually racist, but after the schooling I received on this messageboard, I will never do that again.

Edited by Spockydog

38 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah. Here. I used a racial term in a sarcastic way that other people found disagreeable, and they told me so, and I accepted it and changed my behavior. I didn't try to inflame it into an attack on my character or claim victimhood.

Ok sure, I concede I can see that scenario. That’s fair.

However I was thinking more about the public strata, where a public personality says something ‘a racist might say’. I can’t think of many times that has occurred and they have been called out with there not being a corresponding implication that they are racist.

I mean, and going back to a well trodden road, it’s not like you ever said ‘Rosanne Barr said something a racist would say, but there is no implication that she is racist’. 

Same thing with Fox here, you can’t just say ‘oh that’s something a groomer would say’ without implicitly implying he’s not therefore a groomer, even if it’s with a wink. 

The difference with a forum or between people you know is that there is the opportunity to clarify or apologise for a mistake. Varys hasn’t really done that, he dodged it. 

Edited by Heartofice

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I mean, and going back to a well trodden road, it’s not like you ever said ‘Rosanne Barr said something a racist would say, but there is no implication that she is racist’. 

To be clear, when I said something about Roseanne Barr's racist tweets, I needed to specify that I was characterizing her tweets and not reducing her personhood to "racist"?

I didn't think that discussion was about whether or not she was actually racist, but about whether she had been "cancelled" just because someone called her racist.

If you recall, I believed that her tweeting deranged (not just racist) things for two months after her network bosses told her to stop was more to blame for her firing, but I understand how hard you have been trying to sell this idea that the woke mob has beaten everyone into submission with accusations of racism.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Same thing with Fox here, you can’t just say ‘oh that’s something a groomer would say’ without implicitly implying he’s not therefore a groomer, even if it’s with a wink. 

I think it is possible to say that without inferring larger things, and I believe that is what other people here were trying to say, before you projected bad faith onto them and again made this a forum on the rhetorical excesses of the left.

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Same here. I remember using the D word in what I thought was a non-racist fashion. Nobody suggested I was actually racist, but after the schooling I received on this messageboard, I will never do that again.

I am certainly glad you were not cancelled for mere accusations of racism, because I hear that's been happening a lot.

Edited by DanteGabriel

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

To be clear, when I said something about Roseanne Barr's racist tweets, I needed to specify that I was characterizing her tweets and not reducing her personhood to "racist"?

….

wait…

So you are now saying that you have never implied that Rosanne Barr is a racist.. you’ve never even suggested it?? Is this your position now is it?

Well this is news to me.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

….

wait…

So you are now saying that you have never implied that Rosanne Barr is a racist.. you’ve never even suggested it?? Is this your position now is it?

Well this is news to me.

I am perfectly willing to say I think Roseanne Barr is a racist because there is quite a lot of evidence to that effect, but you were trying to pretend that flimsy accusations of racism were enough to get her cancelled.

Whether or not I think or thought she was racist is immaterial to the argument about how often people are cancelled for accusations. She was fired because she couldn't stop being an asshole on Twitter, and yes, that assholery was often expressed racially.

But I am tired of rehashing this shit with you because you never seem to accept the nuance of such distinctions, just like you can't see the difference between "You said or did a racist thing" and "You are racist."

Edited by DanteGabriel

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

But I am tired of rehashing this shit with you because you never seem to accept the nuance of such distinctions, just like you can't see the difference between "You said or did a racist thing" and "You are racist."

I can, because I think its perfectly possible to do and say something that others consider racist without actually being a racist.

I just don't think happens in the public sphere. Why would there be outrage about Rosanne Barr's 'Planet of the Apes' comment if there wasn't an implicit accusation of her being a racist to go with it. It's not like anyone went 'oooh that sounds like something a racist would say, oh well'. I also don't think you are being honest if you are suddenly pretending you never joined in with that rhetoric.

20 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am certainly glad you were not cancelled for mere accusations of racism, because I hear that's been happening a lot.

I think we're still waiting for that list of unfairly cancelled people. The canaries in the coal mine that should have us all shaking in our jack boots, I mean, shoes.

9 minutes ago, Week said:

I think we're still waiting for that list of unfairly cancelled people. The canaries in the coal mine that should have us all shaking in our jack boots, I mean, shoes.

But don't you see? Roseanne Barr's losing her TV show is all the evidence you need of the dominance of the judgmental, tyrannical left.

Roseanne is the canary in the coal mine! Due to her terrifying example, I have myself avoided two months of shit-tweeting.

Edited by DanteGabriel

20 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

But don't you see? Roseanne Barr's losing her TV show is all the evidence you need of the dominance of the judgmental, tyrannical left.

Roseanne is the canary in the coal mine! Due to her terrifying example, I have myself avoided two months of shit-tweeting.

*Gasp* SELF-CENSORSHIP. It's all gone too far. Thank goodness there are some thoughtful level-headed people screeching about this pernicious danger. Also, about the danger of allowing people to not hate Meghan Markle. She should be shunned and pilloried for anything that she says or does and same for anyone that doesn't agree.

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You know when I read racism doesn’t exist in the public from HOI my mind immediately went over to Ye. Guy had repeatedly made hard racist commentary against black people for years(black people chose to be slaves!) and kept getting chance after chance until he started explicitly screaming about he’d go Death con on Jewish people and daring Adias to drop him for being anti-Semitic.

And even then most of the right framed him as a free speech martyr. He literally had to say “I’m a nazi, I like Hitler” for them to say that yeah the Nazi guy is a nazi and thus bad(maybe).

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You know when I read racism doesn’t exist in the public from HOI my mind immediately went over to Ye. Guy had repeatedly made hard racist commentary against black people for years(black people chose to be slaves!) and kept getting chance after chance until he started explicitly screaming about he’d go Death con on Jewish people and daring Adias to drop him for being anti-Semitic.

And even then most of the right framed him as a free speech martyr. He literally had to say “I’m a nazi, I like Hitler” for them to say that yeah the Nazi guy is a nazi and thus bad(maybe).

May I introduce you to Richard Spencer?

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

May I introduce you to Richard Spencer?

Ah the gentleman’s white nationalist. I’ve found him to be one of the most honest people on the far right about his moral praxis(awknowleding the rights appeals to culture and free speech are even if unknowingly cynical to

I’d still he’s just barely fringe though.

Orban is popular with the right globally and h literally said Hungary wouldn’t become a mixed race society.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321