UK Politics - Asset stripping on a national scale

Which Tyler

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Save us, oh mighty dictators, from our democratically elected government from which we have no power over!

Weren't 4 of the last 5 Tory prime ministers not elected at the time they became PM?

Edited by BigFatCoward

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Weren't 3 of the last 5 Tory prime ministers not elected?

I might be wrong but the Tories were elected and almost certainly won’t be in power in a couple of years. 

( also worth noting how many of those prime ministers have been booted out because public opinion of them was rock bottom, hardly a dictatorship ) 

If Labour come into power and introduce a load of heavy handed safety regulations will we be begging to join the neo-liberal utopia of the EU? 

Edited by Heartofice

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

heavy handed safety regulations

I know "health and safety gone mad" is a favourite bogey man of the right, but when has this country really ever had heavy handed ones, or even looked liked it might? Building safety regulations? Wastewater regulations? Food standards? Financial regulations?

Surely any dispassionate look at the facts shows that any errors tend to be the other way. And I frankly can't see Starmer changing that.

Bit of a change of subject, but it has just been brought home to me that it is not just the police and the NHS that are having to cope with the fallout of the gradual disintegration of UK society. It is public librarians too.

For a while now I have been noticing that whenever I visit the library they are generally trying to support people who are obviously falling through the cracks, but on my last visit one really stood out.

While browsing I half noticed an educated sounding but oddly tentative woman go up to the desk pushing what I vaguely assumed to be a pram. She said "Hello again", and asked if they had a socket where she could charge her phone - no - and if she could leave her stuff there and use the toilet - yes. Wandering past the desk a couple of minutes later, I saw that she had left not a pram, but a shopping trolley full of a great pile of miscellaneous possessions. As Mrs W said when I told her about it "she can't have been homeless long, it had not all been stolen from her yet".

HeartofIce needs to get his arse into the Question Time audience. I mean, this shit is embarrassing. Will nobody defend our thicko Home Secretary's racist plans to out-cunt every other nation on earth?

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

I know "health and safety gone mad" is a favourite bogey man of the right, but when has this country really ever had heavy handed ones, or even looked liked it might? Building safety regulations? Wastewater regulations? Food standards? Financial regulations?

Surely any dispassionate look at the facts shows that any errors tend to be the other way. And I frankly can't see Starmer changing that.

Yeah. Since leaving the EU, the privatised water companiea are dumping raw sewage into England’s rivera and beaches. 

Not Scotland, because Scotttish Water is still publicly owned.

19 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Not Scotland, because Scotttish Water is still publicly owned.

And their pumps are monitored in the EU since last week :ph34r:

As for this new CPTPP deal that the UK has signed up to, it is basically similar to the discredited and eventually thankfully scrapped TTIP. It enshrines corporate sovereignty. The ultimate authority for our environmental, food standards, and related laws is now no longer the UK parliament, but an unelected offshore corporate friendly "arbitration" organisation.

I can't help but compare how quietly and unilaterally the government has just given away UK sovereignty with all the arguments about whether the UK should belong to the EU ...

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Here's another one... 

Tbf I can't remember anything I was told in 2018.

As FS she should know this info. But saying she can't remember something from 2018 is an issue seems a bit unfair. And i can't stand the cunt. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Tbf I can't remember anything I was told in 2018.

It happened in 2018: she was told about it, in the House of Commons, at a debate on the policy she's discussing in the Kuenssberg programme, as recently as June 2022.

The difference is, you can't remember things you were told in 2018. Braverman 'can't remember' being told about this case in June 2022 because she knows saying she 'doesn't care' if Rwanda is safe or not would lose votes.