UK Politics - Asset stripping on a national scale

Which Tyler

The number one story on the BBC News homepage is currently, and has been for a number of hours, the death of Paul Cattermole from S Club 7. 

While any untimely death is very sad, and I'm sorry for his family, somewhere in the world there must be a more important story happening. 

The UK media is so insular. And often, it seems, determined to distract the populace from paying attention to anything of significance beyond safe topics like nineties pop culture. Spiegel has a story about Macron; Deutsche Welle leads with the Ukraine war; Le Monde...okay, the French are rebelling about something, so far, so stereotypical; El Pais has stories about internal migration in Spain at Easter and about the violence in Israel...

6 minutes ago, dog-days said:

The number one story on the BBC News homepage is currently, and has been for a number of hours, the death of Paul Cattermole from S Club 7. 

While any untimely death is very sad, and I'm sorry for his family, somewhere in the world there must be a more important story happening. 

The UK media is so insular. And often, it seems, determined to distract the populace from paying attention to anything of significance beyond safe topics like nineties pop culture. Spiegel has a story about Macron; Deutsche Welle leads with the Ukraine war; Le Monde...okay, the French are rebelling about something, so far, so stereotypical; El Pais has stories about internal migration in Spain at Easter and about the violence in Israel...

S Club were pretty massive for a lot of people when they were younger , and I guess his death is pretty shocking given his age.

Worth pointing out that internet news sites move fast and that probably won’t be the top story in a few hours 

Plus in terms of sheer clicks, this is going to be the story people are talking about and clicking on. Sorry if that makes you sad 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

S Club were pretty massive for a lot of people when they were younger , and I guess his death is pretty shocking given his age.

Worth pointing out that internet news sites move fast and that probably won’t be the top story in a few hours 

Plus in terms of sheer clicks, this is going to be the story people are talking about and clicking on. Sorry if that makes you sad 

That was a particularly mean little jab, even for you. Have a prize from Wannabe Trolls Monthly, I guess. 

32 minutes ago, dog-days said:

That was a particularly mean little jab, even for you. Have a prize from Wannabe Trolls Monthly, I guess. 

It’s nowhere near as mean as coming on here and moaning that the BBC is highlighting someone’s death. Think that makes you look pretty bad to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s nowhere near as mean as coming on here and moaning that the BBC is highlighting someone’s death. Think that makes you look pretty bad to be honest.

I'm happy to look bad to you. It means I'm doing something right. 

5 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I'm happy to look bad to you. It means I'm doing something right. 

If you think moaning that some people people might be interested that someone has died is ‘doing something right’ then I’d hate to know what doing something wrong is!

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If you think moaning that some people people might be interested that someone has died is ‘doing something right’ then I’d hate to know what doing something wrong is!

Buy a mirror. 

Poor Kate!

And I thought people losing their homes or having to choose between food and heating, and black mould-riddled homes or the street had it bad

How wrong I was. This is true suffering.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

This is the second time he has done this. So how did it happen again? Is he really that stupid? I don't think he is. 

There are countless churches in the country that do not promote conversion therapy and homophobic hate. How difficult would it have been to choose one of those instead of these bigoted nutters? 

Edited by Spockydog

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

There are countless churches in the country that do not promote conversion therapy and homophobic hate. How difficult would it have been to choose one of those instead of these bigoted nutters? 

This church is openly full of bigoted nutters, all the others just hide it. 

Starmer is sticking with the Sunak attack add, what a dick (I know I said I didn't care), but as I only care about winning, and its losing the PR battle - walk it back. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

The thing about all this is that there's a really solid, important point here. The Tories talk a lot about being tough on crime, but all that consists of is passing laws to make things into crimes, often things that were already crimes. They don't adequately fund the courts, the police, support services, prisons, probation services, etc. They don't follow the evidence on crime. They don't take the issue seriously at all, they just play a pantomime of doing so by passing laws they know can't be properly enforced because of their cuts.

If the ad even had some better text articulating that point, it would be fine, but instead it's trying to make a more obscure, weaker point with less relevance to voters and less connection to Sunak.