UK Politics - Asset stripping on a national scale

Which Tyler

I don't even know where to start with this, what the actual fuck? 

23 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Tory councillor thinks white men should have a black man or woman as slave…

Also Liz the lettuce is going to try and blame high taxes on 'wokeness'.  Does she have 2 brain cells to rub together?  Does she even know what 'woke' means?

We've had the 'what does woke mean?' discussion before. It has a meaning, but no right-winger ever uses it in that context. To them, it means the same as 'PC' or 'leftist' or whatever: it means everything and nothing all at once. It's a sinister but absolutely undefinable bogeyman you can blame things on without ever having to provide proof or even make a coherent argument. It's an appeal to emotions your audience feels but can't properly define: resentment, anxiety, fear of the Other, and nostalgia for a time that never existed. And since it can't be defined, people never have to acknowledge that they even have those feelings. It's a dog whistle and a get-out-of-jail-free card. It's bullshit, in other words.

This is just fucking heartbreaking.

And while I have zero evidence, I am willing to bet that the bastard who did this is either a Tory inspired by the likes of 30p Lee, or one of Farage/Robinson's cretinous followers.

I'm skint, but I still donated a little to her gofundme.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

We've had the 'what does woke mean?' discussion before. It has a meaning, but no right-winger ever uses it in that context. To them, it means the same as 'PC' or 'leftist' or whatever: it means everything and nothing all at once. It's a sinister but absolutely undefinable bogeyman you can blame things on without ever having to provide proof or even make a coherent argument. It's an appeal to emotions your audience feels but can't properly define: resentment, anxiety, fear of the Other, and nostalgia for a time that never existed. And since it can't be defined, people never have to acknowledge that they even have those feelings. It's a dog whistle and a get-out-of-jail-free card. It's bullshit, in other words.

Yeah, and they should be challenged to define exactly what they mean. And then we get gold dust like this.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, and they should be challenged to define exactly what they mean. And then we get gold dust like this.

If we ask enough right wing fucks the question, maybe they will all drop dead of an aneurism like she nearly did. What a fucking stupid twat. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Someone should ask the dopy cunt, and every other cunt who uses the word, what, exactly, she means by 'woke'.

I know you think this is some sort of clever gotcha, but most people who use the word tend to have a pretty good idea what it means to them, even if that definition is going to vary a bit. Think there was even a Twitter trend recently where a lot of people were very easily able to give decent definitions of it. 

I’d say say woke is:

‘A pseudo religious illiberal authoritarian set of beliefs that look like progressivism but aren’t really. A belief that the world is organised around a series of oppressions and that people should be primarily defined by their differential characteristics such as race or gender.

Really though, it’s just a status seeking methodology used by middle class college educated people to elevate their own position through virtue signalling and championing or identifying with a number of different victimhoods. 

It doesn’t tolerate dissent or opposing views and is mainly concerned with demonising non believers and identifying blasphemers as a way of increasing their own status. ‘

See it’s not hard.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

A belief that ... people should be primarily defined by their differential characteristics such as race or gender.

That is really what "woke" means? Surely it is much more about treating people equally whatever their race or gender?

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I know you think this is some sort of clever gotcha, but most people who use the word tend to have a pretty good idea what it means to them, even if that definition is going to vary a bit. Think there was even a Twitter trend recently where a lot of people were very easily able to give decent definitions of it. 

I’d say say woke is:

‘A pseudo religious illiberal authoritarian set of beliefs that look like progressivism but aren’t really. A belief that the world is organised around a series of oppressions and that people should be primarily defined by their differential characteristics such as race or gender.

Really though, it’s just a status seeking methodology used by middle class college educated people to elevate their own position through virtue signalling and championing or identifying with a number of different victimhoods. 

It doesn’t tolerate dissent or opposing views and is mainly concerned with demonising non believers and identifying blasphemers as a way of increasing their own status. ‘

See it’s not hard.

erm, you kind of just totally proved his point. 

4 minutes ago, A wilding said:

That is really what "woke" means? Surely it is much more about treating people equally whatever their race or gender?

If you think that the only way to treat people equally is the view everyone through the lens of race or gender then.. hate to tell you.. you’re woke.

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

erm, you kind of just totally proved his point. 

How so? By pointing out people have been able to come up with a definition when asked?

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

How so? By pointing out people have been able to come up with a definition when asked?

You didnt link the twitter thread you are referring to, so i cant tell if they got the definition correct or not.

But what you posted is not the definition. People don't get to decide what words mean. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You didnt link the twitter thread you are referring to, so i cant tell if they got the definition correct or not.

But what you posted is not the definition. People don't get to decide what words mean. 

There is no thread it was a trend.

My point is there is no one definition, but a lot of people know what it is when they see it. I gave a definition that I think sums it up, others might have a slightly different take but the basic concept would be similar 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

There is no thread it was a trend.

My point is there is no one definition, but a lot of people know what it is when they see it. I gave a definition that I think sums it up, others might have a slightly different take but the basic concept would be similar 

Lots of dictionaries have the definition, they are broadly similar, and nothing like the gobbledegook you wrote. 

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Lots of dictionaries have the definition, they are broadly similar, and nothing like the gobbledegook you wrote. 

So when people criticise woke ideology they are just using the Oxford Dictionary definition? You just said Truss was saying tax rises were because of ‘wokeness’, what do you think she was referring to?

I’ve no idea what your point is here actually. Understanding the term Woke might have changed from its original meaning and is now used in a very different way seems quite easy to comprehend. 

You might not agree with my definition but it sums up why people might be critical of those who are ‘woke’. I think you understand that even if you pretend not to.

39 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

People don't get to decide what words mean. 

On mass, they absolutely do. In fact it’s the only way words ever get definitions at all, we collectively decide upon them. The dictionary doesn’t come up with definitions, they just document them as and when they change.

I don’t ever use the word for precisely this reason; there is no agreed upon definition. So in as much as words are intended to communicate effectively, it’s a bad one to use. But there absolutely is a significant amount of people (though I wouldn’t say a majority) who would agree with HoI’s definition, so it can’t be wrong per se. If it reads like gobbledegook to anyone, I would encourage them to evaluate their social media diet because outside of left-leaning circles, that’s exactly how it’s used in its negative connotation. 

Is there an ‘Everyone I hate is Woke’ book too? 

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

On mass, they absolutely do. In fact it’s the only way words ever get definitions at all, we collectively decide upon them. The dictionary doesn’t come up with definitions, they just document them as and when they change.

Exactly, words are constantly changing and being added, language is always in flux. 

Archived