UK Politics - Asset stripping on a national scale

Which Tyler

What was that dreadful thud? The sound of Keir Starmer falling off his high horse

‘Civility in politics’? Starmer may have to stable that faithful nag after Labour’s awful ‘paedo protector’ attack ad on Rishi Sunak

Encouraging news for anyone who fears the next election might be some fight for the moral high ground, as Labour releases a new attack ad. Have you seen this one? If not, do try to catch it before they take it down and tacitly blame someone nameless. It depicts a smiling Rishi Sunak next to the inquiry: “Do you think adults convicted of sexually assaulting children should go to prison? Rishi Sunak doesn’t.” Oh dear. In case that grim message was too opaque for you, Sunak’s famous signature is added, above the explainer: “Under the Tories, 4,500 adults convicted of assaulting children under 16 served no prison time. Labour will lock up dangerous child abusers.”

One of the big impressions you keep hearing about Keir Starmer from the focus groups is that he doesn’t say what he really thinks. So perhaps this ad was an attempt to address this, a really confident and clear way of saying “Rishi Sunak is the paedo’s friend”. And yet, the irony of this particular ad is that Starmer doesn’t really think that Rishi Sunak thinks this – and consequently hasn’t even said what he thinks here.

The one thing you would hope the career lawyer would be across is that Sunak – who wasn’t even an MP for five years of the period gestured towards in the ad – was not responsible for sentencing or sentencing guidelines. The fact that Starmer was himself a member of the sentencing council for some of that period is another factor that places the ad firmly in the “audacious” category.

Who gives a shit? Stupid people that we need to vote for us, that we lost, hate paedos. Why do we have to play by different rules? The attacks on Corbyn were mostly baseless and completely relentless. 

No tories canceled their membership over the Corbyn looking like the worst type of Marxist pictures. Stop being so precious (not you particularly, the left in general). 

44 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Who gives a shit? Stupid people that we need to vote for us, that we lost, hate paedos. Why do we have to play by different rules? The attacks on Corbyn were mostly baseless and completely relentless. 

No tories canceled their membership over the Corbyn looking like the worst type of Marxist pictures. Stop being so precious (not you particularly, the left in general). 

We already have one main party that seems to have collectively shrugged and said 'evil, be thou my good' – we don't need the other one joining in as well. 

Apart from any finer considerations about UK political culture, the muck throwing won't work. The message about the importance of fighting a positive campaign, a message you'd have thought got broadcast loud and clear in the EU referendum disaster, was apparently missed by Labour's rustbucket PR machine. 

32 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Given how stretched UK police forces are, the sheer number of resources tied up at the Sturgeon/Murrel residence is pretty disgraceful. You’d think they were hunting for bodies.

It's not like the evidence is going anywhere or is likely to degrade. 

37 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Captain Tom's family just looking like bigger and bigger arseholes. It wasn't even his idea? 

6 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

"Let's all celebrate the anniversary of when we decided to grift grandpa to death!"

What the flying f?!?! Have you never been seriously ill or had a family member seriously ill and part of the recovery program is getting off the bed, the couch, the wheelchair or whatever, and walking? I’ve been in hospital visiting someone and watched people who looked like they were barely past a death experience being led around the the floor, with 1, 2, 3 or even 4 nurses and physio people supporting and following with a wheelchair in case the patient couldn’t take one more step.

The space he walked in was small, laps were less than a turn around a hospital ward, I’m sure. 100 was a number to challenge an old soldier. Don’t cheapen what he decided to do by such remarks. Do you think he didn’t know what he was doing? I saw the interviews with him, the guy was all there, thank-you very much. You dishonor him, you really do. You dishonor people recovering from illness.

Got to be honest, I think the dishonor comes from the family whose charity in his name is currently under investigation for suspect practices, after the charity commission had already previously stepped in to prevent his daughter from paying herself three figures a year as its chief. Like I'm sure she did genuinely love her dad, but she's also come off for ages as exploiting his image to the max, and it being the family's idea sure doesn't help that image. 

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Do you think he didn’t know what he was doing?

I'm sure he knew what he was doing. None of the criticism anyone is making is of Captain Tom. 

The 100 laps bet bit. I can see a world where this actually happened. As in, it's important for Captain Tom to be active to regain as much mobility as possible. So the kids betting him to do 100 laps as some sorta motivation doesn't really strike me as implausible. Generally speaking.

I don't know enough about the Moores otherwise, it's possible they are mere grifters. Not a horse problem.

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What the flying f?!?! Have you never been seriously ill or had a family member seriously ill and part of the recovery program is getting off the bed, the couch, the wheelchair or whatever, and walking? I’ve been in hospital visiting someone and watched people who looked like they were barely past a death experience being led around the the floor, with 1, 2, 3 or even 4 nurses and physio people supporting and following with a wheelchair in case the patient couldn’t take one more step.

The space he walked in was small, laps were less than a turn around a hospital ward, I’m sure. 100 was a number to challenge an old soldier. Don’t cheapen what he decided to do by such remarks. Do you think he didn’t know what he was doing? I saw the interviews with him, the guy was all there, thank-you very much. You dishonor him, you really do. You dishonor people recovering from illness.

The family come across as pretty dodgy. The son-in-law suggested he do 100 laps and offered him £1 for each lap, apparently.

When that didn’t kill him, once he had his knighthood they took him (aged 100, during peak fucking covid!) to the Carribean. Either there, or on the planes, or in the airports, he caught covid. And died.

The family got involved in a charity with his name, with the daughter almost getting a six-figure salary to administer it, until the Charity Commission stepped in, saying WTF! That is still under investigation.

The more cynical might suspect the laps round the garden was an attempt to finish him off so the family would inherit his house, the charity grift being an unexpected bonus. And when the laps failed, the holiday succeeded.

Archived