Crack Theory: The Dragon Egg Clutch in Winterfell

Personally I don’t think an actual clutch was left by Jace and Vermax in Winterfell. I think Jace fathered a bastard on Sara Snow. He didn’t marry Sara in Winterfell but instead, when he went south asked his mother to break off the engagement and to ask Rhaenyra if he could marry Sara.

He grew up his whole life with his paternity in question, and he didn’t want that for his child. Jon’s greatest fear, that Jace realized.

It would make him a way more compelling character then he comes off as in the books.

I think there was either a clutch or a bastard. I think it's a hint to Brandon the Builder having proto-dragonblood. Mushroom's tale claims the clutch was laid in the deepest levels of the crypts. The deepest levels implies the oldest ancestors, the foundation of House Stark.

18 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I think there was either a clutch or a bastard. I think it's a hint to Brandon the Builder having proto-dragonblood. Mushroom's tale claims the clutch was laid in the deepest levels of the crypts. The deepest levels implies the oldest ancestors, the foundation of House Stark.

Wasn’t it also said to be by Hotsprings. Mayhaps Jace and Sara went for a dip

4 minutes ago, King Maegor the Cool said:

Wasn’t it also said to be by Hotsprings. Mayhaps Jace and Sara went for a dip

This is the quote

We can dismiss Mushroom's claim in his Testimony that the dragon Vermax left a clutch of eggs somewhere in the depths of Winterfell's crypts, where the waters of the hot springs run close to the walls

It's not near the hot springs necessarily. The waters of the hot spring run in piping across Walls. That hot water heating system through the piping of the castle is like the castle's blood. Which is on the one hand very handy for those living in it, but also a hint to Stark blood being founded on "hot blood" (Syrio: people are made of water and if you prick them...)

Brandon the Builder likely chose to build his home at WF because of those hot springs: only place north of the Neck livable for a dragonblooded person.

3 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

This is the quote

It's not near the hot springs necessarily. The waters of the hot spring run in piping across Walls. That hot water heating system through the piping of the castle is like the castle's blood. Which is on the one hand very handy for those living in it, but also a hint to Stark blood being founded on "hot blood" (Syrio: people are made of water and if you prick them...)

Brandon the Builder likely chose to build his home at WF because of those hot springs: only place north of the Neck livable for a dragonblooded person.

100% that is why he built it there

I both love and hate the idea of bastards for Jace and Aemond.  Honor and mystery hang in the balance.  What I can get behind 100% is hidden dragon eggs in Winterfell.  Can't imagine what anyone can do with them, but the legend alone is very cool.  

Back to bastards.  Seems to me we might have actually heard of one of these children in light of how few Targaryens remained at the end of the Dance.  Sara Snow sounded more like a ghost, made up from whole imagination or fancy where Alys Rivers was someone you could bite right into.  We got to see her and her belly.  Alys isn't hard to believe.  

Jace may have been close as brothers with Cregan Stark and that's great for a very young envoy.  Mushroom has a lot of fun painting the young prince as quite a Casanova though there is none of that talk at court or on Dragonstone.  All we get is a dutiful son.  I am dubious as to Jace's willingness to toss his betrothal to his cousin out the window.  His mom and step dad not to mention grandparents aren't known for their keen patience and understanding after all.  

Ace showing with Alys Rivers and Aemond, discarding the whole Jace/Sara Snow thing but I'm holding those dragons eggs as I think it's got possibility, lots of possibility.  

Archived