Will Daenerys abandon Slaver’s Bay?

I think it depends on, character-wise, how George wants to play Dany in the last books. Does he do mad queen route? If so, Meereen should reflect that: she kills all the slavers and leaves while dysentery kills everyone (maybe Barristan, though I do want to see him go out in a more impressive way). Or does he go naive colonizer route, where she tries ruling a little more, realizes she is not equipped to deal with a plague, and then leaves. In any case, there is no way that she both realistically stabilizes Meereen and gets to Westeros in the, say, three years of the next two books, so she's basically destined to abandon the city.

I don't know, looking at her last chapter in Dance it almost seems like she's already left Mereen in her mind and I think she's ready to let them all go to hell, slaves and slavers alike.  The manner of her return to Mereen will be important, but I think the biggest factor in her decision once returning will be the disposition of Rhaegal and Viserion.  She is not going to dick around with Wise Masters and Green Graces if Tyrion and Ben or Vic and Moqorro have ditched with a dragon or both. Her focus will change in a heartbeat and she will raze Mereen herself if it helps her get them back. 

If the dragons are still circling the city unclaimed then maybe she'll tarry a while, but I think either way the Mereen portion of this story is approaching a close. As she says to herself "Drogon killed the girl". Time to go be who she is.

Archived