DC Cinematic Universe: Let the Blames Begin

Will be interesting to see what the effect on studios behaviour and output will be after all these huge flops. You’d hope they would take a look at their own processes and improve them, but more likely they will just make less and spend less money. 

What conclusions will they make from audiences not wanting to watch shit movies? Hmmm

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

By all accounts, Flash is a really good movie. Perhaps people just aren't comfortable paying money to see a film whose star should probably be in jail. 

I don’t think it’s all accounts, at best I’d say reaction has been mixed

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

By all accounts, Flash is a really good movie. Perhaps people just aren't comfortable paying money to see a film whose star should probably be in jail. 

Also doesn’t help that everyone knows it’s part of a ‘dead’ universe that’s been uneven in tone and quality for years. Even the claim that it would usher in the new DC universe was oretty muxh BS

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Do most people really know anything about Miller?  If I asked my wife who he is, she'd have no clue.  I feel like the viewing public for these movies fall into two categories:  The Hardcore Fans (who would see it if Hitler were the star) or The General Public (who I don't think could pick Miller out of a line-up).  So my assumption is just that the movie didn't make any attachment to that second group at all.  :dunno: 

5 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I know I wouldn't pay to watch a DC movie until it was universally raved about. Too much history of blah.

Pretty much this. The Miller 'news' just makes this a much, much, much easier decision to make.

20 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The Flash has become the biggest superhero flop in US box office history with an expected loss of $200 mil.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/flash-now-worst-box-office-050739648.html

It's also saying something that the previous record holder came out this year, too.

I mean the movie stars a crazy cult leader who should probably be in jail for kidnapping children. I'm pretty sure the WB knew it would fail, it was more a game of trying to lose as less money as possible from the mess Miller created for them. I honestly wish they would sue Miller, for basically ruining the film.

17 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm not a hardcore fan. Not at all. Never bought a DC Comic. But I follow the news, and I know who this twat is and what he is alleged to have done.

To be honest, if I wasn't on this message board, at no time would he have come across my circle of knowledge.  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I don't know where you get your news media from, but there have been stories about Miller's escapades all over the place. Even here in the UK. 

NewsMax and Fox News.  ;) 

(Totally kidding.)

Getting entirely off topic here for a sec.  Honestly, I've been doing my best to unplug from the news cycle.  I heard a speaker answer a question earlier this year that made me really think.  Someone asked him how he managed to stay so positive when the world seems so full of negativity.  He responded that he just doesn't follow a lot of current events.  Relayed a story of a friend who expressed shock that he didn't know about some story or another.  A year later he ran into that friend again and asked him "So that story you were so surprised I didn't know about... did the fact that you did know it affect your life in any appreciable way?"  His friend said it hadn't.  That really made me think.

Now that was after the Miller news cycle, so it doesn't explain how I missed his fifteen minutes.  But I tell you truthfully, whatever our AI overlords have decreed with my algorithm, I don't recall it showing up anywhere other than when I saw links from posters here at Westeros.

Yeah I think it’s easy to forget online nerds who read up about all this shit are not really representative of the general public. Are there really 12 year old boys out there who have decided they won’t go and watch a flash movie because they are disgusted by Millers behaviour? I doubt it.

As you say, it wasn't the twelve-year-old-boys' boycott that caused the movie to bomb.

So if it wasn't Miller that caused it, why did it do so badly? Wasn't this movie being touted in some quarters as the Best Superhero Movie Evah?

Think Gunn pretty much had to say that, but so few are taking social media word of mouth into account, and Miller was a hot topic thereon for more than a few minutes.

I just think there’s zero hype for DC movies at all.  Their last “hit” was Wonder Woman… the first  one.

The new head of all things DC declares the universe dead a couple months before release.

Marvel has been struggling to reach relevancy with most of their movies.

I don’t think there’s any real secret as to why the movie performed exactly as most expected.

Did anyone expect it to be one of if not the biggest flop in box office history? Not this guy... and I've been hyper critical of WB considering these properties.

There may be other factors as many [including yourself] have said, but Miller's bullshit played a part in it, no doubt whatsoever.

Edited by JGP

I had high hopes the movie would be good, regardless of Miller.

My wife took our nephew to see it while out of town and was not impressed. She's a casual comic book movie fan who enjoyed MoS and WW and most Marvel movies. She's aware of Gunn rebooting DC mostly because of me. Her review of the Flash: meh. Don't bother.

THAT's the word of mouth the movie generated, in spite of everyone in Hollywood seeing it all Spring and touting it as the best movie since Dark Knight. That factored in with Miller boycott, DCEU "legacy" and DCEU lame duck sentiments, it's no wonder it's a impressive flop.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Getting entirely off topic here for a sec.  Honestly, I've been doing my best to unplug from the news cycle.  I heard a speaker answer a question earlier this year that made me really think.  Someone asked him how he managed to stay so positive when the world seems so full of negativity.  He responded that he just doesn't follow a lot of current events.  Relayed a story of a friend who expressed shock that he didn't know about some story or another.  A year later he ran into that friend again and asked him "So that story you were so surprised I didn't know about... did the fact that you did know it affect your life in any appreciable way?"  His friend said it hadn't.  That really made me think.

Now that was after the Miller news cycle, so it doesn't explain how I missed his fifteen minutes.  But I tell you truthfully, whatever our AI overlords have decreed with my algorithm, I don't recall it showing up anywhere other than when I saw links from posters here at Westeros.

Do you have a camera peeking over my shoulder? What you've just described is a good summation of my attitude towards life. For example, I run a weekly trivia show on the side, and it's through the current event questions that I actually learn about what's happening outside, because so much of it is just sturn und drag and forgotten 24 hours after it's happened. In fact, we had a question where players had to tell me if they thought I knew how the names of the kids of Kris Jenner. Yet I didn't even know who Kris Jenner was, which endeared me to several teams. (I legit had no idea.)

So like you, I just don't follow current events. So in the context of the Ezra Miller story, whilst I had a vague awareness of there being some weird legal shit due to an article or two on io9 (man, remember when that site was good? Those were the days), that's all I knew. @Heartofice while I think you're being too hard on yourself and fellow "nerds", I think it's also just a case in your life and mine of what we prioritise as important in our day to day life. Me? I like reading books and doing the occasional bit of creative writing and maybe straying into a videogame from time to time for a few hours on the weekend. I otherwise try to stay offline as much as I can, because the world outside has puppies and coffee and hiking trails and movies and so on. 

In fact, just recently, friends and I were discussing online forums and how people go to the Book of Face, the Tweetbird, and Insta's Gram to discuss things and I pointed out "I go to an old-fashioned forum, where people know my real name, and where, if I do something stupid, @Ran can yell at me and slap my wrist and say "Don't do that again, Ilya!" with a big silly grin on their face while I cry salty slavic-American tears. 

6 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I had high hopes the movie would be good, regardless of Miller.

My wife took our nephew to see it while out of town and was not impressed. She's a casual comic book movie fan who enjoyed MoS and WW and most Marvel movies. She's aware of Gunn rebooting DC mostly because of me. Her review of the Flash: meh. Don't bother.

THAT's the word of mouth the movie generated, in spite of everyone in Hollywood seeing it all Spring and touting it as the best movie since Dark Knight. That factored in with Miller boycott, DCEU "legacy" and DCEU lame duck sentiments, it's no wonder it's a impressive flop.

It also has a very bland soundtrack, if I can add this in. I'm waiting till it come out on streaming, as I decided I didn't want to spend money on it at the local cinema, and I knew it would confuse my wife, who's not a comic book movie fan. But the score! After nine years of masterful compositions from Blake Neely on the Arrowverse show, what Benjamin Wallfisch gave audiences just did not work at all, due to being a constant Remote Control Studio-styled wall of noise (courtesy of the Hans Zimmer school of post Crimson Tide) and lacking any of the themes, interesting ideas, or playfulness of Neely's scores, who never lost an edge despite scoring hundreds of episodes and numerous Arrowverse shows. 

(I....may have had high hopes for the score, 'cause I dig me The Flash.)