DC Cinematic Universe: Let the Blames Begin

'Superman: Legacy' Casts 'Barry's Anthony Carrigan as DC Outsiders Hero
Carrigan joins David Corenswet, Rachel Brosnahan, and Nathan Fillion in James Gunn's upcoming DCU movie.

https://collider.com/superman-legacy-cast-anthony-carrigan-metamorpho/

Metropolis will be home to yet another hero in James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy. Joining the just-announced Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, and Mister Terrific, the shapeshifting Metamorpho will grace the big screen, where he’ll be portrayed by Barry’s Anthony Carrigan, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

*They. Miller identifies as non-binary and queer.

Well that tells you how utterly not famous they are, i know who they are, knew about the various allegations and didn't know that about them (or maybe i did and forgot). 

They are as far as the public is concerned, a relative nobody.  If nobody went to see it, its because they can't carry a movie, or DC make utter shite, not because of their behaviour.

Edited by BigFatCoward

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Well that tells you how utterl unfamous they are, i know who they are, knew about the various allegations and didn't know that about them (or maybe i did and forgot).  They are in the public eye a relative nobody, if nobody went to see it, its because  nobody cares, or DC make utter shite, not because of their behaviour.

*shrug* 

That's a job I'll leave to anthropologists and film historians.

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

I just think there’s zero hype for DC movies at all.  Their last “hit” was Wonder Woman… the first  one.

It was Aquaman, which did bafflingly well.

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

The new head of all things DC declares the universe dead a couple months before release.

This is still head and shoulders above all other reasons for me. DC is a confusing mess, and they helpfully flagged this one as one you definitely don’t need to see. (Paradoxically, this was the reason I did see it; I thought it would tee up the Gunn stuff far more than it did). 

9 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

'Superman: Legacy' Casts 'Barry's Anthony Carrigan as DC Outsiders Hero
Carrigan joins David Corenswet, Rachel Brosnahan, and Nathan Fillion in James Gunn's upcoming DCU movie.

It’s gonna be quite an adjustment for many people, that this is the first Superman movie to take place in any universe. Superman (78) was by itself, Returns was a sort-of sequel to that, Man of Steel was later turned into a universe but they never made a sequel once that was established. So we’ve never seen Superman rub shoulders with other superheroes in his own movie.

19 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It was Aquaman, which did bafflingly well.

does Joker not count?  They actually had decent few years at the box office, nothing to worry Endgame but billion dollar films that should have been successful franchises.  From Man of Steel to Joker (7 films) they averaged 855 million.

Edited by BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well that tells you how utterly not famous they are, i know who they are, knew about the various allegations and didn't know that about them (or maybe i did and forgot). 

They are as far as the public is concerned, a relative nobody.  If nobody went to see it, its because they can't carry a movie, or DC make utter shite, not because of their behaviour.

This convinced me that either way, Miller is still a problem with it lol. For those that know Miller, there's a good chance that they're a very significant negative. For those that don't... There's a reason movies pay ridiculous sums of money to big stars, and Miller as the headline for the movie isn't doing that job.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

does Joker not count?  They actually had decent few years at the box office, nothing to worry Endgame but billion dollar films that should have been successful franchises.  From Man of Steel to Joker (7 films) they averaged 855 million.

It's a movie based on a DC character, but I think they specifically meant "the DC cinematic universe" - The Batman also isn't in that category and was fantastic, and I think qualified as a hit.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

if 10% of the general population knows who Miller is i'll eat my hat.  He was not (him being a douche) the reason it failed. 

This sentiment is rather bizarre, frankly. I don't think anyone inthread has stated that Miller was the reason, but the denial their behavior contributed is perplexing.

Many derps against CaNcEl CuLtUrE absolutely vilify social media for its part in fostering the groupthink required to make it happen, but when someone is a legitimate piece of shit that made the trending rounds over and over on various socials, aka Miller, Flash's box office return sucking farts out of dead seagulls couldn't possibly have had anything to do with that.

Edited by JGP

I think it didn't do well because the number of people who care about the nostalgia of Michael Keaton Batman, Man of Steel Zod and Flash is...not high. 

But mostly it's that Flash isn't super popular anyway and it wasn't that special of a movie. Nostalgia only gets you so much, and for the most part individual super hero stories (instead of Avengers type things) aren't that huge anyway regardless of the property unless they're really special (like Black Panther).

Suicide Squad doing so well is something that really shook me to the core and just woke me up to the power of a good marketing campaign and the ability to hook people in with a simple gimmick. I’m pretty sure it did well because it looked really cool in trailers, had a edgy feel and mostly because Harley Quinn just connected with a lot of girls wanting Halloween costumes that year! 

Either way, the fact it’s one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen seems to matter not a jot as whether it made money or not.

Basically I think you need a hook to sell movies, something to capture peoples imaginations and get them excited for your product. I’m pretty sure SS did that on the power of Harley and a soundtrack in a trailer, and Aquaman managed it through the power of Momoa’s abs. That might essentially be all it takes.

What did Flash have to excite people? There was no hook. The character isn’t one people connect with, Miller is a basic unknown, any nostalgia is for stuff that most people don’t have nostalgia for, in a universe people don’t care about. There was no hook and so it’s not surprising it did badly. 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Either way, the fact it’s one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen seems to matter not a jot as whether it made money or not.

Is there much known about how different the release edition would have been from the purpoted Ayer Cut?

That initial Suicide Squad trailer was, honestly, very, very good. Deeply deceptive as the tone of the actual movie does not line up with it at all (along with it being an incredibly terrible movie), but whoever made that trailer deserves a fucking island for that accomplishment. 

4 minutes ago, Durckad said:

That initial Suicide Squad trailer was, honestly, very, very good. Deeply deceptive as the tone of the actual movie does not line up with it at all (along with it being an incredibly terrible movie), but whoever made that trailer deserves a fucking island for that accomplishment. 

Well the people who made the trailer ended up being given the job of recutting the whole movie didn’t they? 

51 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Did they? If so, then I rescind my island.

I didn't know that either, so I checked and it appears to be true.