Jump to content

DC Cinematic Universe: Let the Blames Begin


Recommended Posts

I started, but could not finish Black Adam. Almost every single element of it was just this low effort, mediocrity. It’s like a collection of lazy modern blockbuster tropes and scenes, like it was created by an AI.

I’m sure The Rock thought it was amazing when he watched it back but wow it’s not.

Also the ghost of Zach Snyder seems to haunt every action scene, he’s gone but not forgotten

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I started, but could not finish Black Adam. Almost every single element of it was just this low effort, mediocrity. It’s like a collection of lazy modern blockbuster tropes and scenes, like it was created by an AI.

I’m sure The Rock thought it was amazing when he watched it back but wow it’s not.

Also the ghost of Zach Snyder seems to haunt every action scene, he’s gone but not forgotten

Dr. Faith was the only character I liked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turns out the Blue Beetle was almost delayed due to the strikes. If this tanks, that'll be the fifth DC movie in recent memory to have failed to turn a profit? This leads me to wonder how it'll affect Gunn's rebooted universe, if at all, if it does end up joining Black Adam, The Flash, Shazam II, and Wonder Woman 1984 in the 'Failed to Succeed at the Box Office' bleacher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I watched it tonight. It's a Great Fucking Movie.

Miller is excellent. Really funny and engaging. Shame he's such an self-destructive arsehole.

Oh Bubba no

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Turns out the Blue Beetle was almost delayed due to the strikes. If this tanks, that'll be the fifth DC movie in recent memory to have failed to turn a profit? This leads me to wonder how it'll affect Gunn's rebooted universe, if at all, if it does end up joining Black Adam, The Flash, Shazam II, and Wonder Woman 1984 in the 'Failed to Succeed at the Box Office' bleacher. 

Gunn and Safran likely had some kind of grace period writ in, that the Studio probably claused the fuck out because Warner Bros dot Discovery made them, so... some obscene, borderline approximate between three films to turn the frowny margins upside down, with offsets from syndication or vis-a-vis... blah blah blah

Heat's on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JGP said:

[brow quirks] 

You think his head could be on the block after one film? 

It’s incredibly obvious that all this “Blue Beetle is the first character in the DCU” talk is just to salvage the box office of another film in a dead universe. If Superman Legacy flops then it’s a different question. 

I’d like to think Superman still carries a lot of weight and should bring people in. Especially if any of the shows before it are as good as Peacemaker and they can push the angle that this is all a new universe. But if it did flop? I dunno, maybe DC just admit defeat and give up trying to make a universe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s incredibly obvious that all this “Blue Beetle is the first character in the DCU” talk is just to salvage the box office of another film in a dead universe. If Superman Legacy flops then it’s a different question. 

I’d like to think Superman still carries a lot of weight and should bring people in. Especially if any of the shows before it are as good as Peacemaker and they can push the angle that this is all a new universe. But if it did flop? I dunno, maybe DC just admit defeat and give up trying to make a universe. 

I'm amazed they didn't do a Batgirl and just write off Blue Beetle as a tax loss. There is probably a reason they didn't do that, I heard simply releasing Batgirl would have cost WB far more than they could have ever have expected to have made in returns, so they canned it completely. Do they really not expect the same issue to happen with Blue Beetle? 

If Gunn can come back with a Superman movie that is clearly detached from what has come before and captures the imagination then I'm sure it could be a hit. I'm looking at the buzz around the Barbie movie right now and I can just see it making a shit ton of cash, because it's done the marketing right and seems to have that hook that gets people excited. I'm sure there would be room for a Superman movie that has that effect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm assuming that the internal tests on Batgirl were truly dire, while they see potential family-friendly upside for Blue Beetle.

I've heard it was that, but also a financial decision that the cost of releasing it would totally outstrip any money brought in. Possibly the costs were higher and could still be written off. I don't know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I've heard it was that, but also a financial decision that the cost of releasing it would totally outstrip any money brought in. Possibly the costs were higher and could still be written off. I don't know. 

Wouldn't the studio now (in hindsight, of course) saved more money by scuttling The Flash and releasing Batgirl instead? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I thought Batgirl being destined for digital release rather than theatrical was also a big part of it, but now I'm second guessing if I'm making that up lol.

Sadly, it's been relegated to the WB vaults of secrets and silence, never to be seen by mortal eye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

But if it did flop? I dunno, maybe DC just admit defeat and give up trying to make a universe. 

It's a really weird bind to be in.

Gunn showed in GG3 he can bring some heavy, but Superman: Legacy needs to be a different thing. There can be lightness there, has to be, but it can't be goofy [much]. I mean, if every other henchman or person at the Planet is a blithering idiot for the lulz, I just don't know.  

Insofar as dropping the collective IP, nah. There's gold in them there hills.

 

 

Edited by JGP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One problem with Batgir was that (apart from apparently being shit) it seems to have been made when the intention was for Keaton to return as Batman. When thet was changed (and then changed to a full reboot with Gunn), it was relegated essentially to a ‘what if’. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...