Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

I haven't actually seen the latest Picard episode yet, but it does sound like the single most utterly insane dollop of fanservice of anything ever. Not that's necessarily a bad thing.

Having been enjoying a lot of the starship pr0n being posted after the visit to the Fleet Museum. I don't think they have a full readout of all the ships but what they do have is impressive:

• Original Spacedock from Earth (how you fly that to another star system I don't know, but still), last seen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered County
  • USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A (Constitution-class refit), last seen in Star Trek VI
  • USS Excelsior NCC-2000 (Excelsior-class), also last seen in Star Trek VI
  • Kronos One (K'Tinga-class battlecruiser), last seen etc
  • HMS Bounty (Klingon Bird of Prey), last seen in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  • Enterprise NX-01 (NX-class, refit), last seen in EnterpriseThese Are the Voyages... (notably, this is the NX-01 refit that adds a mini secondary hull)
  • USS Stargazer NCC-2893 (Constellation-class), last seen in TNG: The Battle
  • USS Voyager NCC-74656 (Intrepid-class), last seen in Voyager: Endgame
  • USS New Jersey NCC-1975 (Constitution class, OG), an original ship created for this episode because all the other named OG Constitutions' fates are accounted for
  • USS Pioneer NCC-1500 (Pioneer-class), from Star Trek Online
  • Unidentified Nebula-class ship (possibly the LexingtonPhoenix or Sutherland)
  • USS Leondegrance NCC-2176 (Lancelot-class), original design from Season 2 of Picard
  • USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (Galaxy-class), saucer section only, recovered from Veridian III and stored at the museum as per a Season 2 data file
  • unconfirmed: USS Bozeman NCC-1941 (Soyuz-class), last seen in TNG: Cause and Effect (aka Frasier's ship)
  • unconfirmed: USS Thunderchild NCC-63549 (Akira-class), last seen in Prodigy: Supernova, Part 2
  • unconfirmed: USS Yeager NCC-61947 (Saber-class), last seen in Star Trek: First Contact (its CG model appeared in DS9 but unclear if it was the same ship)

The unconfirmed ships I think are pretty likely, since there's definitely an Akira and a Saber present, and what looks like a Miranda without the rollbar.

Edited by Werthead

I didn't know there was a refit of the NX-01, but I see that's for the unproduced 5th season. Cool.

I like the Leondegrance, nice nod to Stewart in Excalibur.

And as always, the Excelsior is the best design they ever made. Gorgeous.

Are all the ships seen in the episode or is it just a data listing for some/most of them?

Just now, Ran said:

I didn't know there was a refit of the NX-01, but I see that's for the unproduced 5th season. Cool.

I like the Leondegrance, nice nod to Stewart in Excalibur.

And as always, the Excelsior is the best design they ever made. Gorgeous.

Are all the ships seen in the episode or is it just a data listing for some/most of them?

The DefiantVoyagerEnterprise-A, New Jersey and Bounty get a special mention. 

Most of the others appear in long-shots, the concluding credits of every episode, or were mentioned on a screen back in Season 2.

Spoiler

What're the odds that when the fleet is all gathered in one place and destroyed or whatever they'll have to use all these old famous ships in some space battle. 

Probably my favorite episode of the season. The Data stuff though... They killed him off, suggesting how he might return. Then they said that didn't work, brought him back another way and he wanted to die so they killed him again. Now they bring him back again, via the method that season one established wouldn't work. 

Whatever, I'd rather have him than not have him. It just would have been a lot cleaner if they'd just revived him in season one. 

Also when he said "I am Lore" that was just hilariously unnecessary. Like the evil Joker face he was making was enough. 

I don't get Vadic killing those security guys. I thought the idea was that the ships chasing the titan were controlled by changelings. So I guess those security people were human, and fine with torturing this famous captain for information about where an even more famous captain went? And all the other humans on the ship were fine with turning Riker over to that incredibly evil looking ship? I guess I'm thinking about it too hard. 

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The most mind-boggling thing I saw:

Hide contents

Section 31 has Kirk's body! And it's still alive!?!

Spoiler

I didn't notice any clue that it was still alive. Though maybe they spilled some tribble blood on it. 

7 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:
  Hide contents

So the reason the Changlings want Picard's body and/or Jack Crusher is to weaponize the genes causing Irumodic Syndrome, insert into a virus and spread through the Federation, right?

Spoiler

I don't think there's any "or." as I understand it they've had the body for a while and still very badly want Jack. 

Spoiler

Well...having Picard's body for the illness it contained...but not being able to use it for some reason, thus needing Jack and his inherited illness?  Seems strange. They wouldn't be the only ones with this particular illness...something else has to be up...

And this whole episode was so many Easter eggs...who didn't love attack tribbles...?

And I really wanted Moriarty to be the AI defense system, not just a clue to Data's return...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

12 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I didn't notice any clue that it was still alive. Though maybe they spilled some tribble blood on it. 

Spoiler

Apparently the TOS biobed sound effects could be heard, complete with the heartbeat effect. I'll see when I get round to the episode later.

15 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

It's Kirk's body from Generations, on assumes...how could it be alive...

That whole station was kinda awesome and kinda frustrating.  But the Genesis torpedo was a nice touch.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's Kirk's body from Generations, on assumes...how could it be alive...

That whole station was kinda awesome and kinda frustrating.  But the Genesis torpedo was a nice touch.

They clearly read those very fine late 1990s pieces of literature written by William Shatner.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They clearly read those very fine late 1990s pieces of literature written by William Shatner.

Ha! Those are just... great (okay I own most of his Trek novels...). 

But the fact that even the non canon novels canon doesn't want to include them is hilarious...

31 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Is there a list somewhere of what all the artifacts inside Daystrom were?

I don't know that this was everything, but from memory alpha:

Spoiler

Daystrom Station housed Starfleet's "most off-the-books" technology, experimental weapons, and alien contraband. These included some of Section 31's "most nefarious table scraps", such as a Borg vinculum, the remains of the Borg Queen, a thalaron generator, the Genesis II Device, an "attack tribble", an Arretan android, Martus Mazur's probability device, the Kataan probe, "Pup", and James T. Kirk's body.

These last few episodes of Picard have been quite enjoyable.

It's still not good (I'm highly skeptical about the overall plot), but they've done a good enough job that it can be a kind of guilty pleasure. I hope the final space battle(s) are cool too :D.

Spoiler

Not too sure about the fact that Shaw ended up being "Lame captain" rather than "Asshole captain" to make the old generation look good by comparison. I still prefer Lower Decks' approach, that everyone in Starfleet is ridiculously idealistic and overcompetent.
Something's off about Frakes' acting imho, and boy do you need to suspend your disbelief to believe that old-Spiner is Data-Lore. Apart from Stewart/Picard himself, Dorn/Worf is by far the best actor/character - which is funny because I always found his Klingon-ess (Klingon-hood? :P) overplayed in TNG - now it's welcome.

Don't really like the fact that Picard himself has become central to the plot but, oh well, I guess if you're making an entire season based on TNG nostalgia, might as well go warp 10 on the cheesiness, uh?

Edit: I suppose now the question is whether the season ends/culminates with the entire old crew on the bridge of a starship (Titan? Or will they go warp 11 and steal an Enterprise?) to face their enemy (Vadik) in a space battle.

Edited by Rippounet

3 hours ago, Rippounet said:

These last few episodes of Picard have been quite enjoyable.

Hide contents

Edit: I suppose now the question is whether the season ends/culminates with the entire old crew on the bridge of a starship (Titan? Or will they go warp 11 and steal an Enterprise?) to face their enemy (Vadik) in a space battle.

Spoiler

I was half expecting them to solve the tracking problem by taking one of the old Enterprises from the museum since they wouldn't have whatever new technology means that the ships can track each other. However, it would have been a bit implausible that they would be sitting there stocked with fuel and weapons, even if Geordi has been keeping them well-maintained.

5 hours ago, williamjm said:
  Hide contents

I was half expecting them to solve the tracking problem by taking one of the old Enterprises from the museum since they wouldn't have whatever new technology means that the ships can track each other. However, it would have been a bit implausible that they would be sitting there stocked with fuel and weapons, even if Geordi has been keeping them well-maintained.

Spoiler

I would bet money that that's where they're going with it. At they very least they're going back to the museum to reveal what Geordi has in Hanger 12. The Enterprise-E maybe? But I don't know if that shit has enough nostalgia value. I mean didn't they get a crashed NX ship flying in the last movie? Lets not pretend implausibility is going to restrain the plot in any way. 

The more I think about it the more I dislike what they did with Ro. It should have been that lady admiral who appeared a bunch on TNG and DS9. Or she should have not been killed in the same episode she was brought back in. It all just happened to fast.

I’m still just baffled at all the praise this season is getting. This was an entire episode of nostalgia, I completely lost count of how many times the composer had to drop a theme tune just to really force the point. I mean they literally dropped some characters off at the Nostalgia Museum (Things Wing), then immediately headed for the Nostalgia Museum (Ship Wing). 

And how the fuck anyone swallowed that Data shit … why on earth would they jam all those personalities in one body? How did Moriaty make any sense at all? Has a show ever disowned it’s first two seasons so spectacularly? The culmination of the first season was the Death of Data. He was switched off. He was at peace. And that’s what he wanted! He was happy! But no, we’ve only heard the Next Gen theme 26 times already so we’re gonna need some more member berries.