Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

On 4/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, Werthead said:

That said, I do think the praise given to S3 of Picard (and S1 of Strange New Worlds for that matter) is a bit overblown. A lot of the traditional nu-Trek problems are very much present and correct. It's the best season of Picard, by far, and it has several genuinely solid character arcs, but it's coming from a low bar.

This is probably true, but there are some metrics by which Picard S3 has done extremely well. Two of these include a nearly 98% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and breaking into the Top 10 Nielsen's rating for original streaming series. The latter I think is a bit more impressive since it goes by millions of minutes watched and has 25 episodes listed, so it must include S1 and S2 as well. However, to keep this in perspective, the Mandalorian has 3X the number of minutes with 19 episodes.

For me, I'm mainly watching for the nostalgia and am willing to overlook the plot point issues, but was hoping they could have come up with a better Bifg Bad than they did. Still, maybe the last episode will surprise us.

40 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Star Trek: Section 31 is greenlight, but as an event movie for Paramount+ rather than a full series.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/paramount-plus-star-trek-section-31-film-michelle-yeoh-1235586743/

Much like Star Wars at this point, I don’t think anyone is getting too excited about a Trek film until it’s filmed. I remain deeply ambivalent about ‘genocidal cannibal gets employed by Starfleet for some reason’, however good Yeoh may be.

34 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Much like Star Wars at this point, I don’t think anyone is getting too excited about a Trek film until it’s filmed. I remain deeply ambivalent about ‘genocidal cannibal gets employed by Starfleet for some reason’, however good Yeoh may be.

She's not a cannibal, is she? I remember when season one came out we were saying there needs to be a word for what she is. That was one of the great things about Discovery season one: at one point there were two or three people on the bridge who had eaten alternate versions of other people on the bridge. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

She's not a cannibal, is she? I remember when season one came out we were saying there needs to be a word for what she is. That was one of the great things about Discovery season one: at one point there were two or three people on the bridge who had eaten alternate versions of other people on the bridge. 

She was eating another clearly sentient species… I think she (and a reluctant Michael) ate the Terran version of Saru.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

She was eating another clearly sentient species… I think she (and a reluctant Michael) ate the Terran version of Saru.

right, and a couple of the Klingon characters ate her counterpart from the main universe. That doesn't make you a cannibal anymore than if I ate a dolphin though does it? Granted it doesn't come up a lot for obvious reasons, but my understand if cannibalism is you're eating one of your own species. 

Just now, RumHam said:

right, and a couple of the Klingon characters ate her counterpart from the main universe. That doesn't make you a cannibal anymore than if I ate a dolphin though does it? Granted it doesn't come up a lot for obvious reasons, but my understand if cannibalism is you're eating one of your own species. 

That’s a mighty fine line you are drawing in a story about a multi-species interplanetary political federation…

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s a mighty fine line you are drawing in a story about a multi-species interplanetary political federation…

To be clear I'm not saying "It's fine for star trek characters to eat other species" I'm objecting to the label, and again suggesting we need a word for it. We have words for stupider stuff. 

45 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Well whatever we’re calling it, I think it should rule you out of a career in Starfleet.

According to DS9 they're not part of Starfleet. Though that may have just been Bashir's opinion/wishful thinking because he thought they were too evil. Admiral Ross's cooperation with them suggests otherwise. Anyway I think she'll fit right in with those genocidal ends justify the means people. I'm just curious what the show will be about. The bit about "confronting the sins of her past" could be a hint about a mission to the mirror universe or just that there will be character stuff where she feels bad. 

The first thing that comes to my mind is time travel, because they know it's workable and it seems like they wouldn't hesitate to use it to try to create an advantage. 

4 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

sapiocarnivore

I like it! 

Edit: speaking of cannibalism, I'm five or six episodes into Prodigy and it took me a few of them to realize where I knew Gwyn's voice from. Great show so far, I'm glad you guys kept talking about it because I initially bounced off the first half of the pilot. 

Edited by RumHam

23 hours ago, RumHam said:

According to DS9 they're not part of Starfleet. Though that may have just been Bashir's opinion/wishful thinking because he thought they were too evil. Admiral Ross's cooperation with them suggests otherwise.

I believe that's technically correct, they're part of the Federation's intelligence apparatus whereas Starfleet's the military.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Thank God they’ve abandoned the “Disco” Klingon redesign.

Same, seeing the Klingons look their proper way made me smile. My favorite alien race in all of Trek.