Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

In nemesis she uses her powers to find the cloaked ship via the reman who'd messed with her head earlier and thus blow up the scimitar.

Oh yeah. Another way in that Nemesis had a ton of individually great ideas which didn't really gel together in a coherent whole (the Enterprise-E actually using its weapons in a way that made sense for the first time ever for a Federation starship was another).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 10:40 PM, Werthead said:

I reached The Royale earlier on today in my rewatch and there's an interesting thing there where Deanna's link with Riker allows her to determine his location and mood, so knows he's okay even when they can't communicate or lock on transporters (which happens fairly often!). It doesn't come up that often though, and is the only time I can think of it other than her finding him on the Borg cube.

They spoke telepathically in Encounter at Farpoint, which was a useful abikity they never used again

On 5/1/2023 at 6:35 PM, RumHam said:

Holy shit, Vadic is "Hunny Bunny" the diner robber from Pulp Fiction. The voice cued me in before I could even see her face well. 

Vadic is General Chang's daughter. Wrong us, shall we not revenge?

32 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Vadic is General Chang's daughter. Wrong us, shall we not revenge?

I made that connection, or assumption really. I'd just never seen her in anything else but Pulp Fiction and apparently an episode of Hannibal. I couldn't tell you which one or who she played though. 

Got up to the Xinidi attack in Enterprise. What a weird plan they had. They want to eradicate humanity so they fire a big laser at ...the tip of florida and cuba? like half of it just hits water, and now they've now revealed themselves and their intentions. Like why not test the thing on some closer planet and wait until you have a proper death star ready to go after Earth?

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

Got up to the Xinidi attack in Enterprise. What a weird plan they had. They want to eradicate humanity so they fire a big laser at ...the tip of florida and cuba? like half of it just hits water, and now they've now revealed themselves and their intentions. Like why not test the thing on some closer planet and wait until you have a proper death star ready to go after Earth?

I mean, to be fair, it is Florida. Maybe the Xindi considered it worth the risk to eliminate that wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I kid, I kid.

Well, you're not wrong, it is a bit of a weird plan. Maybe they should've had the weapon fail and explode mid-attack instead of just being a 'test'. Would still effectively show off the capabilities of the weapon while giving them some time to prepare for it.

Edited by Durckad

I guess the real reason they attacked Florida was because it had been established Trip was from there and they wanted him to have lost someone in the attack. Doesn't make sense in universe, but whatever.

I have a probably pointless question. I remember reading that in TOS (which I've only watched all of once, don't really care for it) they would go to like "warp 13" and then starting with TNG they recalibrated the scale so 10 was the "existing everyone at once/turn into a salamander" limit. Is that an in-universe change or a real world retcon?

My question, which again really doesn't matter, is is the NX-01 Enterprise's "warp 5 engine" the same as when Picard would order them to go to warp 5. or is it more like what TNG would call warp 2?

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I guess the real reason they attacked Florida was because it had been established Trip was from there and they wanted him to have lost someone in the attack. Doesn't make sense in universe, but whatever.

I have a probably pointless question. I remember reading that in TOS (which I've only watched all of once, don't really care for it) they would go to like "warp 13" and then starting with TNG they recalibrated the scale so 10 was the "existing everyone at once/turn into a salamander" limit. Is that an in-universe change or a real world retcon?

My question, which again really doesn't matter, is is the NX-01 Enterprise's "warp 5 engine" the same as when Picard would order them to go to warp 5. or is it more like what TNG would call warp 2?

Picard S3 referenced the NX-01 as being a "warp 5 engine", so I guess the answer is "it doesn't matter, stop thinking about it too much"

23 hours ago, RumHam said:

They recalibrated the warp scale and stardates before TNG began. I think David Gerrold actually spearheaded that, as he was irked by the stardates not making sense in the original show and, as a relatively accessible writer, fans kept asking him about them. Revising the warp drive also made sense at the time (now, when ships can go Warp 9.95 as a cruising speed, maybe not so much).

On 5/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, Denvek said:

Picard S3 referenced the NX-01 as being a "warp 5 engine", so I guess the answer is "it doesn't matter, stop thinking about it too much"

Alright, so it was an "out of universe" thing. Again I can't imagine why it would matter, but I was curious.