Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

That's a relief, because if they just left Tuvok's fate as "he was tortured and then who knows" that would have sucked. 

I wish they'd made the effort to de-age him and Worf though. Not even necessarily CGI I think makeup and hair dye could have gone a long way. 

Spoiler

Well, won't comment on Worf, but Tuvok is pretty advanced at this point for a Vulcan...at least 160 or so...

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Hide contents

Well, won't comment on Worf, but Tuvok is pretty advanced at this point for a Vulcan...at least 160 or so...

Spoiler

Is it not odd that he's aged at human rates only since Voyager ended? So like he went 130-140 years not looking over 40 and then in the last 20-30 years aged a bunch? that seems odd and not like what we saw with Spock. But yeah, I guess it's less of an issue than I thought. I forgot he was that old. 

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is it strange to anyone else that we’ve had the resurrection of a DS9 villian and only one appearance by a DS9 character?  Voyager seems to be getting a lot more love than DS9…

Well the most relevant DS9 character's actor died. As did the guy who played Nog. Brooks is apparently a little nutty and Sisko is gone anyway. Quark isn't exactly the person you'd want for more than a cameo in this. Bringing Kira back for a changling story without the ability to bring Odo back would be a bit narratively weird. I think you'd almost have to re-cast odo and give them some closure. Jake, like Quark could have popped up for a cameo but doesn't really fit as someone who would board the ship for the adventure. I don't think anyone ever really warmed up to Ezri, though a new Dax could work I'd rather see that on another show where they have more time. Bashir I could see as the head of Section 31, maybe a hologram Cameo on the Daystrum/31 (how did those two get intertwined, anyway?) station. 

O'Brien absolutely should/should have shown up though. And Garak could show up in an episode of Star Wars and I'd still be thrilled. 

31 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is it strange to anyone else that we’ve had the resurrection of a DS9 villian and only one appearance by a DS9 character?  Voyager seems to be getting a lot more love than DS9…

The cheeky answer is that TNG and Votager didn't really get to participate in the Dominion War, so this is their chance...why muck it up with other DS9 peeps? 

But really, RumHam has most of the right of it...though it seems like there could have been a way to get O'Brien involved...

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It feels like this has been talked about for 20 years, and I still remain a bit confused as to why … what’s actually gonna happen week to week?  

Probably it becomes a USS Valiant situation where they're on a training ship and shit hits the fan?

Or maybe it's just the cadets from this season of Picard and each week they annoy another fan favorite character with questions while he's trying to eat lunch. 

I'm continuing my DS9/Voyager re-watch and 

Spoiler

I forgot about that episode where 8472 has a whole "stay in character" fake starfleet academy training place for an invasion of the federation. They were from fluidic space and also managed to take human form. Sure, Janeway made peace with them back then. But now the federation has made peace with the borg or whatever that was. Could they be the other party? 

The "demon planet" metal race also comes to mind. 

It's mildly frustrating because hand-goo-demon-head could be their new re-design of the conspiracy aliens for all we know.

Otherwise I'd guess Demon head is just whats left of the female changling? rescued by these terrorists. 

On another note I saw on DS9 Odo meets that other changling who has fun by "being fog" so maybe that's why Vadic smokes? I semi-retract that complaint. I'd have preferred if her host body / visual inspiration / torturer took smoke breaks that Vadic could see from her tube. Something about her copying the undesirable parts of her host could be interesting. 

Also, Picard should have taken the two or three sentences to establish that at least most of the nine changeling space-gitmo prisoners were part of the hundred changling babies sent out to explore space. It's the only thing that makes sense. If you put odo in a test tube against his will, he's just going to break out. 

Also like, how do you define nine changlings? It's not clear that they can't reproduce, but it is established that knives can't hurt them. So if Odo turns into bread and I cut it in half and toss half through the wormhole before he can react...are there then two (half) odos? Are they both functionally identical copies of odo's mind? 

Obviously none of this really makes sense and I've eaten far too much weed butter.

But It's not hard to imagine an intro where Admiral [Insert Cameo] gains access to the lab and is horrified to see what's been done to the nine changling babies. Oh also she's a changling* infiltrator and kills almost everyone there before linking with the nine chanlging kids, instantly teaching them tons of shit while at the same time beeing infected. Or sacrificing herself so they can escape. Not on a shuttle but in a person.

*It's not said she's the female changling, but she is a female changling.  

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm continuing my DS9/Voyager re-watch and 

Hide contents

I forgot about that episode where 8472 has a whole "stay in character" fake starfleet academy training place for an invasion of the federation. They were from fluidic space and also managed to take human form. Sure, Janeway made peace with them back then. But now the federation has made peace with the borg or whatever that was. Could they be the other party? 

The "demon planet" metal race also comes to mind. 

It's mildly frustrating because hand-goo-demon-head could be their new re-design of the conspiracy aliens for all we know.

Otherwise I'd guess Demon head is just whats left of the female changling? rescued by these terrorists. 

On another note I saw on DS9 Odo meets that other changling who has fun by "being fog" so maybe that's why Vadic smokes? I semi-retract that complaint. I'd have preferred if her host body / visual inspiration / torturer took smoke breaks that Vadic could see from her tube. Something about her copying the undesirable parts of her host could be interesting. 

Also, Picard should have taken the two or three sentences to establish that at least most of the nine changeling space-gitmo prisoners were part of the hundred changling babies sent out to explore space. It's the only thing that makes sense. If you put odo in a test tube against his will, he's just going to break out. 

Also like, how do you define nine changlings? It's not clear that they can't reproduce, but it is established that knives can't hurt them. So if Odo turns into bread and I cut it in half and toss half through the wormhole before he can react...are there then two (half) odos? Are they both functionally identical copies of odo's mind? 

Obviously none of this really makes sense and I've eaten far too much weed butter.

But It's not hard to imagine an intro where Admiral [Insert Cameo] gains access to the lab and is horrified to see what's been done to the nine changling babies. Oh also she's a changling* infiltrator and kills almost everyone there before linking with the nine chanlging kids, instantly teaching them tons of shit while at the same time beeing infected. Or sacrificing herself so they can escape. Not on a shuttle but in a person.

*It's not said she's the female changling, but she is a female changling.  

Weed… butter… eeeeewwww… who wants skunky flavored… butter???

22 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

Is it not odd that he's aged at human rates only since Voyager ended? So like he went 130-140 years not looking over 40 and then in the last 20-30 years aged a bunch? that seems odd and not like what we saw with Spock. But yeah, I guess it's less of an issue than I thought. I forgot he was that old. 

Spoiler

That's pretty consistent with Endgame Part I, which is set at about this time in the alternate timeline. Although Tuvok is suffering from a degenerative disease in that timeline.

So wait, who are the cronies that are working with Vadic? One of them called Jack a ‘solid’ … are they changelings too? Why do they wear masks and speak a completely different language?

My detachment from the fandom continues. I was mostly just bored here. All of these plots are very familiar, just dragged out much more slowly across the season. We’ve seen Changelings infiltrate Starfleet before, we’ve seen someone clone Picard before, we’ve seen split-personality “I know you’re in there, you have to fight it!” a LOT before, we’ve seen ‘savvy detainee preempts good cop / bad cop’ before. The plot is pretty wafer thin when you look at it, just a nostalgia sandwich. I really couldn’t give a shit what’s up with Jack.

Did we find out what the deal is with her hand? Is it a separate changeling? If so why do they need to talk, they’d be bonded and experience everything together? Or is it some weird means of communicating where someone far away takes control of part of your goo?

On 3/30/2023 at 7:44 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I'm a bit worried about Prodigy now. They didn't get a renewal announcement, unlike SNW and LD, only an air date for a season that had been confirmed long ago. P+ needs to cut costs, like all streaming services. And now, they announce another live action series that will need budget (even though it will of course be less expensive than DISCO S6 would have been) and that is likely to have some similarities in the premise with Prodigy. Given that there are also potential Section31 and post-Picard series that are attempting to get funded, I'm afraid Prodigy might be given the axe. This new show could take its place in the P+ lineup (though not on Nickelodeon presumably, but there is no date how Prodigy is doing there).

Prodigy's writer Aaron Waltke indicated that it will depend on the number of people watching, but given the lead time needed to produce the animation and the very early order for season 2, I'm wondering if the decision has already been made or if they are not happy with Prodigy's numbers and want to see improvement before any extra funding goes their way.

This weeks episode was a lot of fun. Not the strongest to be sure, but it gave us some much needed exposition. Rumor has it that the 9th episode of the show is suppose to be very emotional, so I look forward to the episode we get in two weeks. 

6 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Does anyone think any of the TNG crew are changelings?

I'm suspicious of Beverly.  

Nope. While it would make sense, it isn't going to work with the Fandom. There's some plot armor there, essentially.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Nope. While it would make sense, it isn't going to work with the Fandom. There's some plot armor there, essentially.

:D  I'm not overly familiar with Trekdom!

I don't think Beverly is working with Vadic, but I wouldn't be surprised if the real Beverly had been replaced by a changeling just over 20 years before the story started and then gone rogue.

12 hours ago, Wouter said:

I'm a bit worried about Prodigy now. They didn't get a renewal announcement, unlike SNW and LD, only an air date for a season that had been confirmed long ago. P+ needs to cut costs, like all streaming services. And now, they announce another live action series that will need budget (even though it will of course be less expensive than DISCO S6 would have been) and that is likely to have some similarities in the premise with Prodigy. Given that there are also potential Section31 and post-Picard series that are attempting to get funded, I'm afraid Prodigy might be given the axe. This new show could take its place in the P+ lineup (though not on Nickelodeon presumably, but there is no date how Prodigy is doing there).

Prodigy's writer Aaron Waltke indicated that it will depend on the number of people watching, but given the lead time needed to produce the animation and the very early order for season 2, I'm wondering if the decision has already been made or if they are not happy with Prodigy's numbers and want to see improvement before any extra funding goes their way.

I wouldn't worry at the moment.

Prodigy was envisaged, I believe, as a story with 4 seasons of 10 episodes, but Nickelodeon wanted 2 seasons of 20 episodes, so they agreed but with the caveat of splitting each season in half. That will effectively give us 40 half-hours of television by the midpoint of next year. That's no small feat, or an unreasonable number of episodes (they'll have almost matched Lower Decks in roughly half the time). The question then is whether the show has been successful enough to justify going forwards. It might be that it's not done the numbers of Nick, and Paramount+ renew it for more, shorter seasons going forwards, or they drop it altogether. A 40-episode run is not too unreasonable, especially as I'm not sure the show has the legs to run and run and run.

It does mean we might not hear about a Season 3 until Season 2.0 has completed airing, so around the end of the year or early next.

Edited by Werthead

On 3/31/2023 at 8:21 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Weed… butter… eeeeewwww… who wants skunky flavored… butter???

People who want to get high! It did not taste great. But I was making brownies and had extra. 

15 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

So wait, who are the cronies that are working with Vadic? One of them called Jack a ‘solid’ … are they changelings too? Why do they wear masks and speak a completely different language?

I wondered this too. Maybe they cant hold their form well and are sloshing around in sealed suits? I'm also pretty sure we've seen more than nine total changlings, plus they need more to...control all of starfleet. So did they get help from the main founders? Or just spend years reproducing? So much of this has been glossed over. And you can never tell when something being different is important to the plot or just them changing stuff for the fuck of it.