How did Brynden get Dark Sister in the first place?

Canon Claude

I can see why Daemon Blackfyre got hold of his sword. It was Aegon who gifted it to him, and Daeron didn't want to rock the boat by demanding it back, especially given that Aegon legitimized him.

But Brynden, as far as we know, was never gifted Dark Sister by Aegon. So what reason did Daeron have gifting that sword to Brynden rather than Baelor or even Maekar? It's not like Baelor wouldn't have found Dark Sister useful in time of war, especially against the rebel leader wielding Blackfyre. 

Did GRRM just really want Bloodraven and Bittersteel to have their bastardbowl? 

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

But Brynden, as far as we know, was never gifted Dark Sister by Aegon. So what reason did Daeron have gifting that sword to Brynden rather than Baelor or even Maekar? It's not like Baelor wouldn't have found Dark Sister useful in time of war, especially against the rebel leader wielding Blackfyre. 

It depends on what king deemed him worthy of Dark Sister. Aemon got it from Aegon III or Daeron I probably; I don't think Aegon IV would have turned around fast enough to give his other son Dark Sister. So Daeron gave the sword to his brother instead of his Whereas Bloodraven was leading the battle against the Blackfyres, and was pretty skilled with a sword even if he preferred magic arrows. The princes didn't join the rebellion until after Bloodraven began commanding, and Brynden was probably bestowed the sword before any of that, probably even before Baelor beat Daemon at the wedding tourney. Also there is definitely some "setting up the pieces" with Bloodraven having Dark Sister.

5 hours ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

The princes didn't join the rebellion until after Bloodraven began commanding, and Brynden was probably bestowed the sword before any of that, probably even before Baelor beat Daemon at the wedding tourney.

Bloodraven is five years younger than Baelor. He would have been 13 when Baelor beat Daemon in that tourney. 

Adding to the badassery of the man's legend. But honestly there was no one more suited to this particular feminine VS blade. After all the author wanted to kill off any other worthy potential bearers in the near future. 

And so it could reach the Wall...

And we don't know Aegon didn't give Darksister to Bloodraven, though I am inclined to think Daeron did the giving for no particular reason.  Darksister is traditionally the non heir or "spare" Targaryen sword.  Given Visenya's connection, it may also be a sorcerer's sword.  Beyond that, these swords are awarded for prowess in sword fighting, I assumed, in the training yard.  We hear time and time again that Brynden Rivers was a killer shot with the bow and that he was utterly fearless.  

It is known somewhere by someone of note that Bryden was awarded Darksister.  Otherwise, he would not have been permitted to take the priceless family heirloom to the Wall.  Aegon V, in allowing all this relocation, proclaims Darksister belongs to Bloodraven perhaps more than it belongs to any other Targaryen in existence at the time.  Could be Aegon saw a higher purpose at the Wall or deemed none of his own sons' skill worthy of holding the famed sword.  It's also likely that because Darksister was such a symbol of the Targaryen dynasty and the Nightswatch itself had become something of a cadet branch of House Targaryen in housing a prince, Bloodraven and the Raven's Teeth, Aegon V may have well expected the sword be returned upon Bloodraven's death.  Perhaps that was the old way.  

Perhaps Daeron was wary of the "optics" of giving Dark Sister, the "spare"'s blade, to Baelor, at a time when people were touting Daemon's candidacy for the throne. His intention may have been, in the long term, that when Daemon died he would recover Blackfyre and give that to Baelor. Especially once the rebellion broke out, the recovery of Blackfyre and its being wielded by Baelor would send a strong message.

In this context it might therefore make sense to give Dark Sister to Bloodraven, firstly to signify his status as "left hand of the king" but also to help cement BR's loyalty, to the extent that was even necessary, or even just as a gesture of affection for the one brother who didn't betray him.

The beef between Maekar and BR might have originated with BR's being given Dark Sister when Maekar thought that he ought to have it.

35 minutes ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

So when do you think Brynden received Dark Sister? I would guess around 14 or 15. 

I suspect it wasn’t until the Blackfyre Rebellion. He must have had to prove his worth and talents to King Daeron in a major way, and given the vagueness behind the start of the Blackfyre Rebellion, I suspect he was the one who alerted Daeron of the rebellion before it could really kick off. Hence why they were ready to arrest Daemon so quickly and nearly ended the rebellion at a stroke. 

5 hours ago, James Steller said:

I suspect it wasn’t until the Blackfyre Rebellion. He must have had to prove his worth and talents to King Daeron in a major way, and given the vagueness behind the start of the Blackfyre Rebellion, I suspect he was the one who alerted Daeron of the rebellion before it could really kick off. Hence why they were ready to arrest Daemon so quickly and nearly ended the rebellion at a stroke. 

:agree:

Archived