How will karma catch up with Randyll Tarly ?

Randyll Tarly, the lord of Horn Hill and father to Sam and his siblings Dickon and Talla, is clearly not a sympathetic person in the earnest, having been a horrible father to Sam for being a fat and book-loving and in his father's eyes cowardly, womanly and weak, instead of the strong and martial loving boy he wanted, to the point that he forced Sam to dress in his mother's clothes, chained him to a wall for three days for wanting to be a maester and even forced him to join the Night's Watch under the threat of death to make Dickon his heir.

He also isn't nice at all to Brienne during their meeting, having a sexist if not mysoginist attitude toward her, telling her that she was basically asking others to try to rape her by dressing like a knight and refusing to acknowledge her already proven martial prowess.

Knowing that, and the various theories about him betraying the Tyrells and siding with Aegon and the Golden Company, how do you think that karma will catch up with Randyll Tarly in the coming books ?

What kind of punishment do you think that he will get for his abuse of his son and his other actions ? What would be the most fitting fate for him ?

I do think that he may truly betray House Tyrell and side with Aegon, only for it to backfire on him when the revengeful Tyrells led by Willas or Garlan outsmart and get back at him, similar to how the Reynes and Tarbecks paid the price for their rebellion against House Lannister and how the Boltons and Freys are going to pay dearly for their betrayal of House Stark and Tully, and when Daenerys arrives and overthrow Aegon with her dragons.

It would also be poetic if Sam end up getting released of his vows and become Lord of Horn Hill anyway.

I believe Varys will soon poison Tommen. Cersei is likely to have Margaery killed too. Therefore, the Tyrell will have no purpose sticking to the Lannisters. They will go to fAegon, being Targaryens loyalists. Randyll will join too. No betrayal needed.

Then will come Dany. Randyll is likely to burn. Unless he lives to face the Others, and become a Wight. Maybe, to finally be burned by Sam himself.

Sadly none of the of these quick deaths fulfill Randyll Tarly's karma.  His treatment of others he considers unworthy is cruel even by the standards of his day.  This is a guy who needs to contract a ghastly disease, lose his standing in the community and have himself a good public comeuppance and slow death full of suffering.  Karma would have Lord Tarly locked in some cell turning to stone stripped of all he holds dear on the brink of death to have Sam save him, possibly restore him to health.  Then the bastard could be beheaded for his many acts of treason.  He could die knowing he did this to himself and he was so wrong about his eldest son.  

I still don't get why he wouldn't just let Sam be a maester. It gives him what he wants, Dickon as heir and Samwell out. I know he thought it was weak or something but sending Samwell to the Watch where his cowardice is on fully display isn't great for the House's prestige either. Does he not realise it would be useful to have a relative at the citadel?

25 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I still don't get why he wouldn't just let Sam be a maester. It gives him what he wants, Dickon as heir and Samwell out. I know he thought it was weak or something but sending Samwell to the Watch where his cowardice is on fully display isn't great for the House's prestige either. Does he not realise it would be useful to have a relative at the citadel?

Randyll is an anti-intellectual, and much like Tywin he's too prideful to see a Tarly becoming a servant.

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

But he's a servant at the Watch too. He's more likely to embarrass the House at the Watch than the Citadel.

Not really since the watch is cut from the rest of the world, and that Sam is unlikely to come or to be heard off from south. And at least he serves in a martial order rather than servants with womanly skills and hobbies in Randyll's views.

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

But he's a servant at the Watch too. He's more likely to embarrass the House at the Watch than the Citadel.

Maybe

Hes joined a martial order there while unglorious still has some respect...besides all theyd likely get back is 'he died doing his duty ' etc

Id say it all  speaks volumes about how the maester at hornhill is treated vs the respect given to luwin at winterfell.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

He does not.  The old man feels the Citadel is beneath his name.  Sam is an utter and complete disappointment to him.  The ability to read and reason is nothing compared to marshal prowess.  I would go so far as to say Tarly is embarrassed his son can read so well yet is unable to hunt.

3 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Agree. I suppose he thought Sam would get himself killed pretty quickly in the NW, whereas that is unlikely to happen at the Citadel? There’s also the fact the former is so far away and the latter is near. :dunno:

6 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I still don't get why he wouldn't just let Sam be a maester.

It can takes years for someone to become a maester and it is fully possible for someone to leave anytime during their training.  All during that time Sam would still be Randyll's lawful heir.  Furthermore, the Citadel is in Randyll's own backyard so all of his peers would be aware of Randyll's shame and could plot to use that against him.

2 hours ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

Burst belly I reckon. However it happens, I don't want Sam involved; one of the few good scenes in Season 8 was Sam's reaction to his father's death, and if he is too involved, we won't get that scene in text.

La la la I can't hear you.

Please can we try to keep show spoilers of any kind out of this forum? It's why I left back in the 2010s.

2 hours ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

Burst belly I reckon. I don't want Sam to be involved in killing his father though...

Hide contents

Dany burning him or him dying in the war and Sam finding out later would add more to the character, I think, and create deeper conflict.

TBH, I think Dany burning Lord Tarly would be doing Sam a favour.  It's like killing Craster.  I doubt Gilly feels any regrets for the death of that old swine.

4 minutes ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

Sorry, I thought we'd all either watched the show or chosen not to, I'll be more careful.

I haven't watched anything past season 4. But the reason for that is that I suspected the show was going to hit many of the story beats from the forthcoming novels but in a cack-handed, fanficcy way and wanted to avoid picking them up that way.

1 minute ago, Alester Florent said:

I haven't watched anything past season 4. But the reason for that is that I suspected the show was going to hit many of the story beats from the forthcoming novels but in a cack-handed, fanficcy way and wanted to avoid picking them up that way.

That makes sense: I think they diverged enough so they won't overlap, or at least I hope they did, but I can understand not wanting inadvertent spoilers because George thought he could trust D&D to do his story justice if they passed him.

Archived