Would you rather get Fire & Blood 2 or have GRRM finished Dunk & Egg?

Dunk & Egg. And then more D&E, after that some more D&E, a bit of D&E to follow, immediately after that I’d love me some D&E, and finally 4 more D&E all the way to the end. And once we have the complete D&E, you all get your F&B 2 which I don’t care at all about (in case that wasn’t obvious already). :D

Dunk and Egg is basically a more detailed F&B2 for a 50 year period, and I'd prefer that history to a broader Aegon III to Jae II covering 150 years. I also think he probably has more motivation to write five 150 page novellas rather than one 750 mammoth where he'd have to detail out all of the things he hasn't thought about yet like he did with Jae I for F&B.

More Dunk and Egg, but only if it verifies my belief that Aegon did the unexpected by arresting Brynden rather than it being an arrangement planned in advance. I want so badly to have this sinister murderer be shocked that the king he put on the throne isn’t going to reward him for doing a heinous act.

Edited by James Steller

I suspect most of FAB2 is written and this author seems smitten with the Targaryen story.  I think if there really were more D&E we might have got a couple by now?  It's not like they are tombs.  I read somewhere there is a D&E show in the works, so perhaps all that is being held back for something like that.  Oh yay she said with a complete lack of enthusiasm.   Further, I'm not that thrilled with Harry Lloyd narrating the D&E stories. 

I think I'm looking for a sword in FAB2.   FAB2 it is then.  At least I enjoy Simon Vance.  

Finished D&E.

First, I’ll take anything. But second, finishing D&E is like 9 more novellas without even accounting for GRRMflation. So let’s say it ends up 12 more, compared with 1, okay, 3 more F&B. 

F&B is chock full of information, of a kind, so a lot more world building bang for your buck. But though I love the historiographical tricks of F&B, D&E are written for more enjoyable story-style reading. You care about Dunk and Egg and what happens to them more than you care about anyone in F&B, even if F&B is describing a lot more important history. Like I said, I’ll take either but if forced to choose it’d be the story over the history, though obviously each has both.

Edit: having second thoughts on my initial answer. I enjoyed reading each pretty equally, just in different ways, F&B was just a fictional version of what I spend much of my life doing, so…different. But my reconsideration is that I think I care more about the unanswered questions F&B will address than I do about those revealed in D&E, though of course they are there too. But if I had to know I will never get one of them, it’s my investment in the characters vs. a lot more historian’s itch scratched. I think I can live without the first more than the second. 

Edited by James Arryn

On 3/27/2023 at 10:51 AM, James Steller said:

More Dunk and Egg, but only if it verifies my belief that Aegon did the unexpected by arresting Brynden rather than it being an arrangement planned in advance. I want so badly to have this sinister murderer be shocked that the king he put on the throne isn’t going to reward him for doing a heinous act.

I suspect Bloodraven wouldn't have been that naïve and it was his intent all along to accept the 'punishment' of taking his Teeth and Darksister to the Wall. Maybe he realised where the real threat and his need was.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:25 PM, Curled Finger said:

I suspect most of FAB2 is written and this author seems smitten with the Targaryen story.

:agree:

On 3/27/2023 at 10:25 PM, Curled Finger said:

I think if there really were more D&E we might have got a couple by now?

I think it's being held back by what it may reveal before Winds, and yeah, the show may be partly responsible too.

6 hours ago, King Maegor the Cool said:

Obviously the main series takes precedence  

I mean, if he doesn't finish the main, one way or another, the 2 expected books, or answers to the significant questions and motivations of the story, nothing else in this universe matters the slightest bit for me. 

Edited by BalerionTheCat