Would you rather get Fire & Blood 2 or have GRRM finished Dunk & Egg?

On 3/29/2023 at 8:32 AM, King Maegor the Cool said:

Obviously the main series takes precedence  

Does not that end the discussion, though?  The man is not immortal.

I would guess, though, that the original plan was to tie the two series together, and release the final episodes of each simultaneously, so that the one would not much spoil the other.  D&E will end at Summerhall, which I expect involves spoilers for the main series.   I think it will be hard to write F&B2 without including Summerhall spoilers.   TWOIAF avoided saying much about Summerhall, but the silence felt strained and artificial.

Definitely Dunk and Egg. 

That's not even a contest - actual novellas with actual scenes and characters vs more of the extremely long Wikipedia page.

About half of Blood and Fire would overlap with Dunk & Egg anyway, and I'd much rather read all of that in the Dunk and Egg novellas than just summarized (and it's not like we're likely to learn things like, what happened to Rohanne Webber, from Blood and Fire rather than Dunk & Egg).

The only thing that excites me about Blood and Fire is learning what happened to Alys Rivers and Aemond Jr

• 1 month later...

From comments I saw elsewhere (GRRM blog maybe?), there may in fact be more than the seven D&E stories, and he may not be working on them in chronological order.  The comment (I need to go find this now) included reference to 'getting around' to writing about D&E adventure in Dorne, despite those occurring between tHK and the Sworn Sword. 

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I'd rather have another TWOW sample chapter than any DnE or FnB content at any quantity.

Highly doubtful GRRM will do that, ISTR him saying that there would be no further tWoW chapters until the book itself.  The only situation I can see this is happening is when he actually finishes tWoW, and is persuaded to release one more, to start the hype build-up for the book release.

3 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

D&E! I just started reading it for the first time, and I love it. It took me forever to finish F&B, just because I wasn't interested in it. I'm not even sure if I'll read the second once it comes out.

Agree wholeheartedly. I read F&B when it came out, won’t reread it, and can’t remember anything from it. Nothing at all. D&E otoh… I’ve read and reread a gazillion times and will keep rereading. :wub:

ps: yeah, probably won’t read F&B 2. Yawn

Edited by kissdbyfire

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I read F&B when it came out, won’t reread it, and can’t remember anything from it. Nothing at all. D&E otoh… I’ve read and reread a gazillion times and will keep rereading. :wub:

ps: yeah, probably won’t read F&B 2. Yawn

I love a kindred spirit ❤️ But it's even more special when you and your kindred spirit dislike the same things lol

50 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

I love a kindred spirit ❤️ But it's even more special when you and your kindred spirit dislike the same things lol

I mean it's like a text book, right? Written by hearsay? 

D&E 1 is great, it like transports you into Westeros, but in a nice way. It's less barbaric more magical, bright banners and hero characters, those duels! It really reemphasizes our standard on Westeros, it's like Ned's tourny but back in Danys family age, it's cool gives us a nice look on Westeros

D&E2, it's better then F&B. Is that enough? Lol nah it's ight. The hero journey in the beginning is pretty cool and the backstory I absorb like a sponge, Bloodraven is from history and now he's in charge! But it's kinda depressing, the magic is gone, it's not hero duels, it's dudes named turnip or something training to charge into crossbows, the knight what was he a diddler? Here it kinda reinforces what we've known Westeros to always be, a dark dreary land where the lords dance upon smallfolk bones, up until the last three pages that is and the story turned hard left into cheese town. Population corn. So that wasn't great, happy endings? Who needs em?

D&E3 rivals asoiaf. It's like a combo of the other 2, magically dark, one might even say, dark magic. The emphasis on false dragons, eggs that won't hatch, misguided dreams and most importantly, those bastards that refuse to get wiped out I think is heavy on parallels with adwd.

So like I do want d&e4, Winterfell? The kids aunts and cousins and stuff? Obviously, but I also feel like it's supposed to supplement the Northern Theater that's manifesting in the main story line, therefore I want to eat before my desert. So unfortunately, I guess I'd have to go with F&B2 which is a text book but it's also a picture book so, I may not read it, but I may look at the pictures 

39 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

So unfortunately, I guess I'd have to go with F&B2 which is a text book but it's also a picture book so, I may not read it, but I may look at the pictures 

Pictures? OK I do love pictures.. Honestly, when the pictures come with captions it basically summarizes the whole story for you. It's just missing the miniscule details, and who even cares about those anyway? :D

32 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Pictures? OK I do love pictures.. Honestly, when the pictures come with captions it basically summarizes the whole story for you. It's just missing the miniscule details, and who even cares about those anyway? :D

I feel like if they made asoiaf into f&b style it'd just be a pictures of different types of food, and a little thrones

• 2 weeks later...

Dunk and Egg anytime. I don't why, but I am not that interested in FB. I haven't even started watching THOD. But from what I've heard the characters are all unlikable, this is the next level grey characters for me and I'm not sure I like that. I generally know the history and that is enough for me. D&E stories are really interesting, have good format and narrative. And I want to see Winterfell and Starks from another angle. That would be awesome!