Crack Theory: Rickard, Brandon, and Lyanna Stark knew about

Aegon’s Propechy/The Others were coming.

I know Aegon’s Prophecy was only confirmed in HotD, but it was something people have theorized about. We also know that Jaecerys Velaryon/Targaryen and Cregan Stark made a secret “pact of ice and fire”.

I think that the Targaryens lost the prophecy after the Dance and rediscovered it through Rhaegar’s dreaming. Meanwhile I think the Stark’s carried it down all the way to Rickard, Brandon, and Lyanna. Ned didn’t know because he spent most of his life prior in the Vale. The prophecy seemingly died with Rickard, Brandon, and Lyanna. The latter of whom may have tried to tell Ned about it, and Jon’s role as she died. Ned chalking it up to delusions from blood loss and trauma. 

I hope that 'Aegon's prophecy' does not appear in the books because it would feel like such a retcon to me and conflicts with earlier things. I don't mind Rhaegar knowing about something but there is no indication Aegon and co. knew anything.

And the Starks don't need to get this from the Targaryens, they have been in Westeros for thousands of years, they could have their own prophecy to know about.

Wasn't Martin himself saying something about this during the promo tour for FAB?  Then we scoured the books looking for it?  Whatever.  While I doubt Rickard and Brandon were anything but political players, Lyanna could have been something else.  We've got Brandon at the gates screaming for Rhaegar's head, so there is that to the contrary.  Lyanna taking off could be indicative of several things.  She was just a kid, so maybe she was into prophecy of the North or just dug Rhaegar's whole PTWTP vibe or thought he was dreamy, who knows?  

How likely are we to get confirmation of either Aegon's prophecy or Lyanna's reasons for taking off with Rhaegar?  We haven't had either for years.   Do either add anything at all to the overall story?  I was fine with Aegon and his sisters just conquering for the sake of conquering and Lyanna just being a dumb kid trying to get out of a lousy betrothal.  

33 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

What is “Aegon’s prophecy”? There’s no such thing in the books so far. If it becomes a thing it will be nothing more than a silly retcon. 

When fans erase all of Aegon's self-ambitions it honestly paints a rather pathetic picture of his conquest, albeit a comical one. And I wonder if fans picture the conquest with T Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" playing in the background. (And I'm not referring to OP, rather fans who glorify and defend everything the Targaryens do by slapping "The Prophecy" sticker onto their actions.)

• *Burning Harrenhal* "I am saving so many lives rn"
  • *Field of Fire* "Guys, pls stop, you have no idea how hard this is for us. We're just trying to help :("
  • *Sacking Dorne for the nth time* "It's not me, it's the prophecy."

20 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

When fans erase all of Aegon's self-ambitions it honestly paints a rather pathetic picture of his conquest, albeit a comical one. And I wonder if fans picture the conquest with T Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" playing in the background. (And I'm not referring to OP, rather fans who glorify and defend everything the Targaryens do by slapping "The Prophecy" sticker onto their actions.)

• *Burning Harrenhal* "I am saving so many lives rn"
  • *Field of Fire* "Guys, pls stop, you have no idea how hard this is for us. We're just trying to help :("
  • *Sacking Dorne for the nth time* "It's not me, it's the prophecy."

Burning of Harrenhal is arguable because he did annihilate the Ironborn and Hoare Dynasty

A wood witch (or a CotF) told Jaehaerys that the prince that was promised would come from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. Maester Aemon said the  prophecy  was known for a thousand years.

IMO, the prophecy was given by the CotF greenseers. From the Old Gods. It has been given to the Targaryen a thousand years ago. So why Dragonstone and their interest for Westeros. Whatever was said, it pushed Aegon to conquer the 7K.

I don't think Rickard & Brandon knew anything. Or believed it. Lyanna, however. TKotLT... BR was already watching the Starks.

36 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

So why Dragonstone and their interest for Westeros.

Because they are Valyrians and that’s their thing, it’s not happenstance that their words are Fire & Blood. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Because they are Valyrians and that’s their thing, it’s not happenstance that their words are Fire & Blood. 

But it's far from Valyria. They built it like their homeland. Why there? Why not along the Rhoyne? And why Westeros in general?

3 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

But it's far from Valyria. They built it like their homeland. Why there? Why not along the Rhoyne? And why Westeros in general?

I heard a theory it was to control the trade of the Narrow Sea. They also were the ones who sold VS weapons to the nobles of Westeros. Ice, for example, is only 400 years old. It was named after another sword called Ice.

1 hour ago, King Maegor the Cool said:

I heard a theory it was to control the trade of the Narrow Sea. They also were the ones who sold VS weapons to the nobles of Westeros. Ice, for example, is only 400 years old. It was named after another sword called Ice.

I don't think they sold VS. They had only 2 swords for themselves. They were far from influent valyrians. Not sure they were either controlling the trade in the NS. Maybe to be outside the control of the greater valyrian houses.

Archived