Howland netting Arthur

Crona

A very popular theory about how Howland Reed had saved Ned is that Howland trapped Arthur with a net....

But I don't understand how this would work? Arthur had Dawn, a sharp sword in his hands...why wouldn't he just cut through the net? When Dawn is resting on Jaime's shoulder, it is cutting through and Jaime is bleeding. When the net wraps around the sword, wouldn't it cut through? What am I missing? Did Arthur just get surprised and drop his sword? I know the net gets tangled, but I have yet to see it really work on someone who has a blade in hand. 

Just curious on why its so popular.  My own favorite theory is the dart one. 

Ned: - he would have killed me but for Howland Reed

Bran: What did Howland do?

Ned: (sadly) He shot him with a poison dart from the bushes

5 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Cutting a  thick rope  net with a knife let alome sword  can be tough going esp if you are inside one and much harder still  if its used to drag you off your feet.

It’s Dawn we’re talking about, not an ordinary sword.

I’m not saying I’m sold on this theory, though, I feel like it would be too ludicrous to take seriously. Arthur Dayne dying while ensnared in a crannogman’s net, heh. No wonder Ned doesn’t talk about it.

10 minutes ago, James Steller said:

It’s Dawn we’re talking about, not an ordinary sword.

I’m not saying I’m sold on this theory, though, I feel like it would be too ludicrous to take seriously. Arthur Dayne dying while ensnared in a crannogman’s net, heh. No wonder Ned doesn’t talk about it.

Yeah but its not a friggin lightsaber though  to get a rough idea imagine (or try for real.if your bored)  taking a piece of  thick rope and try cutting it with the sharpest modern steakknife you can find and time yourself....now imagine your covered and possibly dragged off your feet.

5 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Yeah but its not a friggin lightsaber though  to get a rough idea imagine (or try for real.if your bored)  taking a piece of  thick rope and try cutting it with the sharpest modern steakknife you can find and time yourself....now imagine your covered and possibly dragged off your feet.

Dawn can cut through things even at rest, he does not even need to swing it. Are you saying the net has stronger material than Dawn? If so, why didn't the Reeds conquer all of the North if its stronger than swords. And Dawn is pretty much a lightsaber, it even lights up. 

To be fair if the net was weighted with stones or something it should still take Arthur at least a few seconds to get free no matter how sharp the sword is, and a few seconds is all you really need in a fight to finish off your opponent. But I still think it is more likely Howland used poison.

28 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I think all theories about Arthur Dayne seem kind of silly, I can't really figure out what happened there and none of the theories sounds fitting. 

7 minutes ago, Crona said:

Dawn can cut through things even at rest, he does not even need to swing it. Are you saying the net has stronger material than Dawn? If so, why didn't the Reeds conquer all of the North if its stronger than swords. And Dawn is pretty much a lightsaber, it even lights up. 

Its very sharp yes but its still a sword man..again im.asking have you ever tried to cut a rope with a knife?  It fucking sucks

Even a razor sharp modern knife takes time as would a sword.

10 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

To be fair if the net was weighted with stones or something it should still take Arthur at least a few seconds to get free no matter how sharp the sword is, and a few seconds is all you really need in a fight to finish off your opponent. But I still think it is more likely Howland used poison.

Id say it was was eithher net and trident and the bizarness of the combo caught him off guard 

Or more likely he warged him and ned swt up the kill shot when howland was in arthurs head.

You guys are acting like you've never played rock, paper, scissor, net.

Shot with a darts not bad, by which I mean it's better then net. Any type of "hey look over here" where Ned can slink off and eat a senzu bean isn't that convincing either.

Maybe it wasn't Hollywood. Dayne wins, Reed talks. Ned is spared. Although there's a dilemma here with how Arthur died, but maybe he followed his sister.

Nono, you're not seeing this happening.  Dayne swipes and misses.  Dawn is downward.  Many roped net of fearsome marshish quality completely encompasses said knight in full downward swipe.  He is stuck, immobilized, like a bull at the rodeo.  Ned says "Dude!".  Howland says "Dude, what?".

Ser Arthur Dayne dying entrapped in some net like a fly, while Dawn, the always-sharp meteor material sword that freaking shines, isn't helpful because of technicalities ?! please!  

The dart thing makes more sense. Although, in that case, what really would have made sense was for Howland to get all three kingsguard like that and spare their other five companions. That goes about the miracle net too! If it's so good Art can't cut it with Dawn, why not put the net on all three when they are still distracted talking to Ned, and their swords aren't even out?!  

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

Ser Arthur Dayne dying entrapped in some net like a fly, while Dawn, the always-sharp meteor material sword that freaking shines, isn't helpful because of technicalities ?! please!  

The dart thing makes more sense. Although, in that case, what really would have made sense was for Howland to get all three kingsguard like that and spare their other five companions. That goes about the miracle net too! If it's so good Art can't cut it with Dawn, why not put the net on all three when they are still distracted talking to Ned, and their swords aren't even out?!  

Yah?  The whole thing is bogus story.  Too many holes.  Still, Reed did something Ned did not expect.  Eyebrow raises...this is Meera and Jojen's father, after all.  This feat of whatever transpired will be remarkable or horrifying, maybe both.  All I'm sure of is that Ned seems awed in the way regret and gratitude can both bring you to your knees sort of awed.  Not magic, not skill, but something loyal, horribly loyal maybe?  I'm not even sure what that could be I just expect it to be surprising.  Right on, what a cool thing to think about this evening.  Thanks for the inspiration, Egg! 

Just now, Curled Finger said:

Yah?  The whole thing is bogus story.  Too many holes.  Still, Reed did something Ned did not expect.  Eyebrow raises...this is Meera and Jojen's father, after all.  This feat of whatever transpired will be remarkable or horrifying, maybe both.  All I'm sure of is that Ned seems awed in the way regret and gratitude can both bring you to your knees sort of awed.  Not magic, not skill, but something loyal, horribly loyal maybe?  I'm not even sure what that could be I just expect it to be surprising.  Right on, what a cool thing to think about this evening.  Thanks for the inspiration, Egg! 

It's weird all over ... it is something that Ned wouldn't share for some reason. the easiest answer is that it's not honorable. But then you've got Daynes all appreciative towards Ned. so, even if it's dishonorable, then: a) they wouldn't know it b)for some reason, Daynes are more than ok with Ned killing their brother and being the reason for their sister's "suicide" .

while I suspect this part of the story may stay ambiguous even if George does finish the books, I hope it doesn't be something insulting to Dawn like it's the inability to cut ropes! and yes, I care about magical swords' reputations!

Because some cheating was involved for Ned to walk away from that fight.  It need not be complicated though.  The swamp man could have thrown stones at Dayne.  Anything to distract the Kingsguard long enough to give Ned an opening.  What reason would Howland have to bring a fishing net?  

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

Because some cheating was involved for Ned to walk away from that fight.  It need not be complicated though.  The swamp man could have thrown stones at Dayne. 

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

It need not be complicated though.  The swamp man could have thrown stones at Dayne. 

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

The swamp man could have thrown stones at Dayne.

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

stones

Mods, I recommend an IQ test instead of which house has a ____ sigil to admit fellas into the forum.

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

What reason would Howland have to bring a fishing net?  

Even a bot would read the book before posting sth dumb af like that. 

I reverse my opinion, these are not hate alt bots. Just hate alts. Human stupidity and the universe are infinite. Not sure about the latter tho.

No matter how sharp Dawn is, it only has at most) two sharp edges and you need your arms free to wield it. Cutting your way out of a net isn't straightforward even with a magical blade. It could easily be enough to buy the couple of seconds necessary for an opponent to deal a key blow. 

But I thought we all agreed that Howland is a Faceless Man who warged into his net to poison Arthur with the revelation that Ned (aka Daario) is actually the son of Aerys and Joanna, and the father of Ashara's twins (Daenerys and Young Griff), and Arthur killed himself out of embarrassment at how contrived and unnecessary that plot twist was.

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

It's weird all over ... it is something that Ned wouldn't share for some reason. the easiest answer is that it's not honorable. But then you've got Daynes all appreciative towards Ned. so, even if it's dishonorable, then: a) they wouldn't know it b)for some reason, Daynes are more than ok with Ned killing their brother and being the reason for their sister's "suicide" .

while I suspect this part of the story may stay ambiguous even if George does finish the books, I hope it doesn't be something insulting to Dawn like it's the inability to cut ropes! and yes, I care about magical swords' reputations!

You know, I think it's almost got to come out  from Meera to Bran or Bran to Jon.  This act means something, binds Ned to Howland in gratitude and Howland was bound to Lyanna in kind.  You would think all debts were paid in all these acts of valor or whatever caused this gratitude, but no, Reed send not simply his heir or only son, he sends both his children to see one of Ned's on quest.  This bond of kinship, stewardship, duty I don't even know what to call it between Howland and Ned, didn't end with Ned even a little bit.  Meera and Jojen are all of Reed's children far as I can tell.  They don't appear to be asking for anything in return.  Howland is willing to risk the future of his house for Bran, not even an heir to house Stark.  Surely Reed knows this.  Very interesting relationship here.  Can't wait for the next smallest mention of Howland, events at the Tower of Joy--all of it.  

Archived