Michelle West Reading Order

Garlan the Gallant

As mentioned in my review of The Broken Crown, it kind of depends on who you ask. 

Personally, I decided to start with the Sun Sword series and so far I'm happy I did. Some people recommend to read the first 3 House War books beforehand, but reading Jewel's origin story without context felt odd. And 3 books into the Sun Sword, I'm not sure that her origin story, even though chronologically makes a good starting point, can hold up a candle to the epicness of the Sun Sword.

The last 5 House War volumes take place right after the Sun Sword, as I understand Jewel's storyline ends in some sort of cliffhanger. I'm planning on jumping into these as soon as I reach the last page of the Sun Sword.

The Sacred Hunt duology takes place hundreds/thousands of years prior to both series. Some people recommend to read them first because it spoils one of the House War early book. But since they're considered West's weakest works, I felt that it was probably a bad idea. As things stand, I'll probably read it last.

Given how good the Sun Sword turned out to be thus far, I can't see why anyone would want to start anywhere else. But thatMs just me! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 6:11 AM, Garlan the Gallant said:

What’s the chronological reading order for her books?

I wouldn't follow the chronological reading order because The Sun Sword series is much better than the other stuff set in this world and doesn't require the previously written and significantly weaker Hunter duology to understand. The first 3 volumes of the misleadingly titled House War series unnecessarily elaborates on the backgrounds of certain characters that are  concisely and sufficiently explained in the Sun Sword itself.

One shouldn't expect any interesting political intrigue from the House War either - it is very self-indulgent, IMHO, a big step down from the Sun Sword and a parade example for "kill your darlings" maxime. Basically, the author fell in love with one of the weaker PoVs from the Sun Sword and the House War is all about their speshulness. Or at least the first 4 books are, because I bailed after that. Which is a pity, because some of the other PoVs from the Sun Sword were great and I was intrigued by the remaining mysteries of that world. Sigh.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:57 PM, Lord Patrek said:

Some people recommend to read the first 3 House War books beforehand, but reading Jewel's origin story without context felt odd.

I read them first and regretted it. I almost didn't continue into the Sun Sword, because of it and can testify that they actually managed to diminish the characters and events that they depict in my eyes.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:57 PM, Lord Patrek said:

The Sacred Hunt duology takes place hundreds/thousands of years prior to both series. Some people recommend to read them first because it spoils one of the House War early book.

No, it takes place about 20-25 years before the Sun Sword series. But it is weak and can be safely skipped. IMHO, YMMV.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently reading the final volume of the Sun Sword series and hot damn it's awesome! For anyone intrigued, I definitely recommend reading these books. Think Steven Erikson's worldbuilding and Robin Hobb's characterization.

The Broken Crown, the first volume, is like Erikson's Gardens of the Moon, in that it throws you into a story already in motion and the author wastes no time spoon-feeding you information to make the going easier to understand. But stick with it and by the halfway point you should be hooked!

Can't quite believe that so few people are actually talking about West's books!

• 2 weeks later...

Ya'll convinced me, I picked up the first two novels of the Sun Spear series today.  Got a few books to go through before I get to them, nice to know however, that I have such highly praised and recommended books in the wings.   :read: