Videogames 2023 pt. II: Can We patreon This Man an Alienware Already?

Jace, Extat

Reading about this odyssey of a computer repair effort is making me sadder than a goddamn greek tragedy 

Meanwhile:

Nobody said restoring the Sultan would be easy, but speaking of the Greeks. They joined the civil war on the side of the perfidious Kemalist loyalties. But the Romanians had my back and gave lend-lease aid without actually contributing to the war effort. So I ate all the IS LLANDS, Makedon, and Epirus just for the steel and chromium of it. I left Athens and the Peloponnese because I'm a nice God Empress like that. Puppeted, of course. I mean they joined the civil war. Sixty thousand dead Turks from the Hellenes alone. Romania gets my eternal gratitude and we can race to blitz Bulgaria. 

But that's in the distant future of '39. For the rest of '38 we're celebrating baby! The Sultan's back in towwwwn!!! 

France went all communist. Hitler was deposed for the Kaiser (Always depose Hitler, c'mon). And the U.S.S.R. devours itself (long live Ukraine, eh!). 

Japan went off-course and chose rapprochement with U.S.A. and Briton, which is fucking weird. But whatever. That fascist civil war should be popping off in one of them any day now... And I know which one I think it'll be. :spank:

Resumed playing Planescape Torment on ps5. Never got very far when it first released on the PC. 
Finally recruited Nordrom. God, Inhate that maze! Those robots kept kicking the shit out of my party while I huntrd first for the evil wizard construct, and then while I hunted for Nordrom.

Killing the wizard took ages as he kept using that cannon on the Nameless One, and Inhad to nuke hin with spells and sureound him with my chars to finally kill him.

5 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

But that's in the distant future of '39. For the rest of '38 we're celebrating baby! The Sultan's back in towwwwn!!! 

I am so confused by everything happening here. 

What drugs are you taking and can I have some? :D

Edited by IlyaP

7 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I am so confused by everything happening here. 

What drugs are you taking and can I have some? :D

Hearts of Iron IV 

Sadly Eee ta lee went and made a goddamn Balkans alliance while I was Pivoting to the Past instead of getting bogged down in conflicts with the imperialists. They fucking mauled me before I could get my military rebuilt. SAD! 

59 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Hearts of Iron IV 

Sadly Eee ta lee went and made a goddamn Balkans alliance while I was Pivoting to the Past instead of getting bogged down in conflicts with the imperialists. They fucking mauled me before I could get my military rebuilt. SAD! 

To be fair, I also skimmed the last four pages of the last thread again to see what game you've last been talking about and as well wondered at first whether Hogwarts Legacy is doing some wild turns.

But yeah, it was then just a question whether you are talking about a very late game of Victoria 3 or HoI, but was then pretty sure there wasn't any Turkey yet in Vicky, so figured it's probably HoI. Damn... should probably go back to it myself one day. It's the only Paradox game I persistently can't get into at all, for some reason...

1 hour ago, Toth said:

To be fair, I also skimmed the last four pages of the last thread again to see what game you've last been talking about and as well wondered at first whether Hogwarts Legacy is doing some wild turns.

But yeah, it was then just a question whether you are talking about a very late game of Victoria 3 or HoI, but was then pretty sure there wasn't any Turkey yet in Vicky, so figured it's probably HoI. Damn... should probably go back to it myself one day. It's the only Paradox game I persistently can't get into at all, for some reason...

HoI IV and Crusader Kings II are my most played games on steam. No RPGs worth the name were made from basically Mass Effect 3 until this Hogwarts game, as far as I'm concerned. (ROLE playing games) 

I like to play strategy games while I listen to podcasts/YouTube lectures/audiobooks. Compulsive multitasker, and the 15/30 second back buttons exist for a reason. 

I don't like what Bezos has done to shopping or the environment but I like his audiobook app 

I was excited about Victoria 3, until I learned that the game prevents you from personally managing armies, and instead forces you to give control of your troops to the (idiotic) AI to manage. Why, oh why would Paradox make such an awful design decision?

6 hours ago, Gorn said:

I was excited about Victoria 3, until I learned that the game prevents you from personally managing armies, and instead forces you to give control of your troops to the (idiotic) AI to manage. Why, oh why would Paradox make such an awful design decision?

Never tried it. I didn't care for the Imperator: Rome game and Crusader Kings III was unplayable and unrecognizable as the Empire of Rome so, y'know. I'm out. I'll stick with the games that work. 

I was enjoying Two Point Campus but I needed to mix it up with something else, so fired up Warhammer Forty Thousand Colon Chaos Gate Subcolon Daemonhunters. It's a very fine XCOM-alike but with Space Marines. It's very solid but has few surprises. Still, it's fun enough for now.

I was going to get either (or both) Company of Heroes 3 or The Last of Us this month, but both seem to be plagued by bugs and performance issues which have not been fixed yet, so will hold fire on them.

Just cracked 850 hours on Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Except for maybe WoW back in the day I don't think I've played a game nearly as much as this. I just love the character build variety so much. 

Also I figured out some of the main reward loops of Destiny 2 so I've been playing that some too.

And with The Last Spell out of early access I've been making my way through that. It's a turn-based tactics/tower defense rogue-like with some kickass background music.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

And with The Last Spell out of early access I've been making my way through that. It's a turn-based tactics/tower defense rogue-like with some kickass background music.

I got distracted by Resident Evil but I'm still playing a bit of this each day. I just wish they'd let you choose your starting people, or had a page where you could turn off some unlocks. I unlocked swords and I regret it, because now 90% of the time my starting melee guy has a sword. I just don't like the moveset as much as the hammer's.

Everyone over here playing these brand new games and I'm just proud of myself for beating the original Red Dead Redemption on PS3 this morning.  :lol: 

Should be finishing Chained Echoes in the next couple of days as well.

53 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I got distracted by Resident Evil but I'm still playing a bit of this each day. I just wish they'd let you choose your starting people, or had a page where you could turn off some unlocks. I unlocked swords and I regret it, because now 90% of the time my starting melee guy has a sword. I just don't like the moveset as much as the hammer's.

Yeah, it's a bit of an odd decision choice that. There are those omens that you can choose to make certain weapons show up more frequently, but I haven't tried them yet. And they kinda seem like a waste of an omen slot when there's ones like "make wooden walls have 50% more health".

Edited by Fez

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Everyone over here playing these brand new games and I'm just proud of myself for beating the original Red Dead Redemption on PS3 this morning.  :lol: 

Zombie  Nightmare too? 

17 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Zombie  Nightmare too? 

I have the GOTY edition, so I could play that... but I'm typically not a zombie kinda guy.  (Other than The Last of Us... so maybe I am a zombie kinda guy?)  Is it worth playing?

Resident Evil 4's The Mercenaries mode just came out and it is amazing. I wasn't sure what to expect after Village's weird take on the mode. It's just like the originals but instead of "bonus time" you have a meter and can choose when to activate it for more points and damage. 

I've only played one game so far but holy shit that was a lot of fun. 

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have the GOTY edition, so I could play that... but I'm typically not a zombie kinda guy.  (Other than The Last of Us... so maybe I am a zombie kinda guy?)  Is it worth playing?

Its more Red Dead.  It has a fairly goofy story but is pretty fun