Videogames 2023 pt. II: Can We patreon This Man an Alienware Already?

Jace, Extat

Dredge is a fun little game.  I haven't had the proper time to dig into it, as I've been on vacation and then had my parents visiting, but I've made it to the third of four islands in the game.  I love the art style, and the game is equal parts peaceful fishing adventure and Lovecraftian horror.  

53 minutes ago, briantw said:

Dredge is a fun little game.  I haven't had the proper time to dig into it, as I've been on vacation and then had my parents visiting, but I've made it to the third of four islands in the game.  I love the art style, and the game is equal parts peaceful fishing adventure and Lovecraftian horror.  

The interface looks multifacted and potentially frustrating. How are you finding navigating the game's UI, and is it cumbersome, slow to load, or overly intrusive? 

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

think Talos-1 and Sevastopol from Alien: Isolation immediately become the coveted Best Space Stations in a Video Game. Although to be fair, not a massive amount of competition (maybe the Coriolis station from Elite and the Tiqqun from Ixion).

The Citadel would like a word.

Also, System Shock 2 is still frelling terrifying to this day. It's one of the few games that I struggle to play for more than a few hours at a time because the sound design is damn effective and successful at freaking me the hell out. 

25 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The interface looks multifacted and potentially frustrating. How are you finding navigating the game's UI, and is it cumbersome, slow to load, or overly intrusive? 

It takes some getting used to and is a bit obtuse, but the game is mostly pretty slow-paced and so it's rarely an issue.  Time only advances in the game when your ship is moving, and so for the most part you're safe when stationary (outside of certain areas), which allows you to take the time to fiddle with your inventory or prepare for an expedition into dangerous waters.

The game's atmosphere is unsettling and there are some enemies that can very easily destroy your ship, especially early on before you upgrade it, but for the most part it's a pretty laid back experience.

Having finished Prey, decided to takle something a bit more light-weight and breezy - Firewatch, which so far is extremely delightful, and by all accounts won't take more than 5 hours to finish. 

Gods help me, I've decided to go for another run through of Baldur's Gate.

I love all of the games (BG2 especially), but man I've played through the beginning of BG1 so, so many times and the beginning of the game is not that great comparatively that I'm already dreading the run through of the Nashkel Mines. 

36 minutes ago, Durckad said:

I love all of the games (BG2 especially), but man I've played through the beginning of BG1 so, so many times and the beginning of the game is not that great comparatively that I'm already dreading the run through of the Nashkel Mines. 

At least it's a relatively small mine...

2 hours ago, Durckad said:

"Get me out of this HELL HOLE!" is one of my favourite gaming quotes ever. I always think of it when I'm bored at work.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

The Citadel would like a word.

I was wracking my brains thinking I'd missed an obvious one and yup, there it is.

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Amazing bit of background trivia that I learned today: one of the composers/sound engineers on System Shock 2, featuring said Citadel, was none of other than Game of Thrones compsoer Ramin Djawadi! 

I think that was a reference to the Citadel from the Mass Effect trilogy.

5 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Having finished Prey, decided to takle something a bit more light-weight and breezy - Firewatch, which so far is extremely delightful, and by all accounts won't take more than 5 hours to finish. 

I really enjoyed Firewatch.  Played it back around when it came out.  I was a little underwhelmed by where the story ended up going, but it was still a great, atmospheric game with gorgeous visuals. 

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

At least it's a relatively small mine...

IIRC, the Nashkell Mine has at least 4, if not 5 total levels, so if that's small, I'd hate to see a big mine.

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

"Get me out of this HELL HOLE!" is one of my favourite gaming quotes ever. I always think of it when I'm bored at work.

Well, at least you're not thinking of one of the other miner's quotes while you're working, mainly "*cough* I think I'm coughing up blood..." or "*cough* My lung! It's flopping on the ground!" I would be really worried for you if that were the case.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Some streamers/content creators got to play the tutorial mission fromThe Lamplighters League. Looks fun:

Their previous game was BattleTech, a strong contender for my Game of the 2010s, and before that the very splendid Shadowrun Returns trilogy, so they're now in the "buy next game immediately," category for me.

Meanwhile, Shadows of Doubt is attracting a lot of praise, even in its EA state.

Edited by Werthead

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Decided to see if there was a gameplay video, and I see Yahtzee is currently live-streaming himself playing it right now:

Looks intriguing.

It's the full procedural generation of mysteries, an entire city block and multiple buildings for events to unfold in, and then the complete Deus Ex-ish freedom for you how to resolve the situation, which is jawdropping, and the way it (mostly) works really well.

RPS did a playthrough in which they thought they nailed the right person and the evidence seemed incontrovertible, then the killer struck again, and when they finally caught the right person they realised how they'd been misled, and it made sense. It was extremely impressive.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I was wracking my brains thinking I'd missed an obvious one and yup, there it is.

I think that was a reference to the Citadel from the Mass Effect trilogy.

Oh, THAT Citadel. 

Sorry, I've had 0451 games on the brain lately and went immediately to the Shodan-y Citadel, not the Mass Effect-y Citadel! 

My bad! 

43 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Oh, THAT Citadel. 

Sorry, I've had 0451 games on the brain lately and went immediately to the Shodan-y Citadel, not the Mass Effect-y Citadel! 

My bad! 

I’m A True Kaniggit and this is my favorite forum on the Citadel.