MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

Solid all around. Olivia Coleman is just so much fun...you kinda have to assume she'll be revealed to be a bad guy for the future by the end, right?

Spoiler

Additional questions for the finale:

Who did Fury call at the end of episode 5?

Will either Talos or Hill suddenly, actually, be alive.

What, if anything, will be The Marvel's connection...likely as part of a possible stinger at the end, a la Ms. Marvel...

Will there be any surprise cameos?

I get the idea vehind not calling the Avengers is a little lame...but it's also a comic book trope in its way. They could have also suggested that Firy was worried that other Avengers had been compromised a la Rhodey...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

16 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I'm enjoying this read as it spares me from having to watch what looks like a wildly uneven show. (I also don't have spoons for shows at the moment.) In your opinion, does it seem like this show is about anything? Like, do you get the sense, when watching it, that it has something to say, even so much as an opinion? On something? ANYthing?

Occasionally it seems to be reaching for some kind of parallel between the Skrulls and black Americans, which is an idea you could do something with, but not one a Disney series will ever really commit to.

19 hours ago, sifth said:

This might be the first episode of this show I liked. Though Fury's excuse for not calling in his friends, is kind of lame.

Better than his wife's excuse for hanging around in the one place Gravik could find her.

5 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Sign me up yesterday! This looks *awesome*!

Had to watch the trailer again to try and understand which bit someone would think was "awesome". I'm still struggling. 

This movie might be the one that really causes a Marvel rethink, if that hasn't happened already after Thor and Quantumania. God knows they need it.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Had to watch the trailer again to try and understand which bit someone would think was "awesome". I'm still struggling. 

This movie might be the one that really causes a Marvel rethink, if that hasn't happened already after Thor and Quantumania. God knows they need it.

It leans into the silly and embraces it. I am, by nature, a *deeply* silly boy. This speaks deeply to my innate, squirrely silliness. ...Also Brie Larson is hot. 

Just now, IlyaP said:

It leans into the silly and embraces it. I am, by nature, a *deeply* silly boy. This speaks deeply to my innate, squirrely silliness. ...Also Brie Larson is hot. 

Does it? I'm not seeing it. I'd say it's more accurate to say that it looks 'tonally all over the place' and that Brie Larson is a charisma black hole. 

The only positive I can see in this movie is that Iman Velli was good in Ms Marvel and maybe she can single handedly hold this movie together, but she'd need to be in every single scene.

Ms Marvel was the least watched of the MCU Disney+ shows (dunno if Secret Wars is taking that accolade yet) so it bodes pretty badly for this movie. They should have Batgirl'd it.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Does it? I'm not seeing it. I'd say it's more accurate to say that it looks 'tonally all over the place' and that Brie Larson is a charisma black hole. 

*shrug* I enjoy her subdued sass. It speaks to me. It's just my kinda thing, y'know? She's got a dry, verging on sardonic interpretation of the character. And I am greatly anticipating the way she and Teyona and Iman bounce off each other. There's an 11 minute interview where they all constantly made each other laugh and it was *delightful*. I am so here for this movie.

The only positive I can see in this movie is that Iman Velli was good in Ms Marvel and maybe she can single handedly hold this movie together, but she'd need to be in every single scene.

BTS, I know she was having a lot of fun with the flick, and gave a lot of input into the character. I dig her in and outside of her character very much.

Just now, IlyaP said:

BTS, I know she was having a lot of fun with the flick, and gave a lot of input into the character. I dig her in and outside of her character very much.

By the way, @Heartofice, do I need to write out BTS as behind the scenes, or is that well-known enough in English that I needn't write it out? 

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Talk about a charisma black hole.

I have no idea if that's going to be good, but I am more than willing to give it a shot because it look like it's going to be all kinds of fun.  A lot of fun.

Unfortunately for Marvel i suspect audiences are a bit more demanding than the small sample size gathered here today. I’m sure Ant Man 3 looked ‘all kinds of fun’.. but it did badly and was crap.

If I compare this trailer to the recent Blue Beetle trailer I’m getting really familiar vibes, yet the Blue Beetle trailer was almost universally laughed at.

On top of that I already have experienced Monica and Cap Marvel enough to know they are deathly dull characters, I can see everything about the plot from that trailer and can’t see what could possibly be ‘fun’ about it, unless flashing lights and bad cgi is someone’s idea of fun.

Plus this movie has been pushed back so many times in the schedule it’s like looking at a historical document! Marvel clearly know they have got a dud on their hands here. 

So yeah, really don’t see what you are seeing, but i guess I’m less easily entertained. Maybe I’ll go look at some paint dry.

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does the sky ever NOT fall in your world?  Because I don't think I can recall a single positive thing said about anything in the MCU, or just about anything else. Isn't the air thin at all atop that, apparently,  high high horse? 

umm, maybe you aren't paying attention, I like a lot of things, I post regularly about them.

The MCU is going through a bit of a crisis at the moment, much of it's content is not well liked and getting negative critical reviews, I'm hardly an outlier in pointing that stuff out. I'm sorry if thats a problem for you, or that everyone should like everything because it's got flashing lights.. how dare they have standards!