MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Lets just leave aside the bolded claim which I don't believe is backed by evidence. Brie had an entire social media ecostructure dedicated to hating her before the movie even came out, it hasn't let up in over 4 years - do you think that might have some impact on studios being willing to build their marketing campaign around her? Ignoring the fact that its always been easier to become an action star in Hollywood as a white dude. 

Also can't help but note that most people who feel like I do about Chris just keep that shit to themselves. There was a brief spike in people talking about him a year or two ago, it was based on (what I believe) was incorrect identification of his church AND never got anything like the popularity of the Brie hate train has gotten. 

But despite all that, Captain Marvel still made over $1b and there are plenty of people that share my views on Brie. And its not like her career is over. Not quite the total outlier you seem to think, just an outlier in your bubble.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/03/kevin-feige-says-captain-marvel-is-about-to-lead-the-entire-marvel-cinematic-universe/#:~:text=Marvel-,Kevin Feige says Captain Marvel is about,the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe&text=The times they are a,of the blockbuster superhero world.

There were plenty of rumours she would the avengers and here is Feige saying she was going to lead and be at the forefront of the entire cinematic universe just as her movie was coming out. 

Has that happened? Far from being the lynchpin of the MCU she has been relegated to being a cameo or plotpoint. They can’t get her off screen fast enough. She doesn’t even get her name in the title of her new movie!

Now you might say this is due to online hatred, and there is truth in that, but if nobody agrees with that then it would be powerless. The reason the push of dislike for her got such a groundswell of support is because she’s not likeable and her Carol Danvers is pretty awful. 

As for Captain Marvel taking in a lot of money, yes it did. But like I was saying in the Barbie thread, marketing is a hell of a thing, and the movie came out right at the peak of MCU popularity. If it didn’t make money there would have been an inquisition! That it’s taken so long to get a sequel and she doesn’t even get Captain Marvel 2 really sums it up 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

There were plenty of rumours she would the avengers and here is Feige saying she was going to lead and be at the forefront of the entire cinematic universe just as her movie was coming out. 

Question: 

Wasn't Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa intended to be the new leader of the MCU before his tragic passing? Or am I misremembering something/inventing something that was never said? 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Has that happened? Far from being the lynchpin of the MCU she has been relegated to being a cameo or plotpoint. They can’t get her off screen fast enough. She doesn’t even get her name in the title of her new movie!

I blame Covid, Chadwick's passing, the Disney+ demand for "content", and phase 4 being whatever the hell *waves hand* that whole phase...uh...was. Like some kind of...Marvel Spaghetti Incident. And with a few guns. But no roses. 

Also, what happened to Harry Styles and Brett Goldstein? And everything that happened in the Eternals? Wasn't there, like, a floating god at the end, somewhere in an ocean on Earth? 

(I think we should all take anything that comes out of the mouths of people at Marvel with a *huge* grain of salt these days.)

51 minutes ago, karaddin said:

You're doing a hell of a lot of projecting what you think she meant onto what she actually meant in those comments, while taking them in a completely different context to which they are being said. And instead of just accepting that as a thing which happened you're still angry at her about it several years later. There is an entire ecosystem on social media built around hating specifically her and its just weird. 

I just took her comments literally, when she said in that speech that a wrinkle in time is not made for middle aged white film critics so they shouldn’t review it.This was said in context to the under representation of minorities in film criticism and the overall film industry and the negative reviews the film had received. 

If there is a different context and meaning to what she said, I’d love to hear that from you.

My point is her intentions may be good ,I’m not denying that, but the form in which she said it was quite offensive and an example of racism, mixed in with a bit of ageism and sexism.

4 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Also, what happened to Harry Styles and Brett Goldstein? And everything that happened in the Eternals? Wasn't there, like, a floating god at the end, somewhere in an ocean on Earth? 

(I think we should all take anything that comes out of the mouths of people at Marvel with a *huge* grain of salt these days.)

That's the kind of continuity I'd love to see, but it gets ditched. Seeing the initial reactions to people all over the place suddenly having an enormous stone giant sticking out of the ocean only for it to just get utterly forgotten as everything does when life moves on lol.

1 minute ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I just took her comments literally, when she said in that speech that a wrinkle in time is not made for middle aged white film critics so they shouldn’t review it.This was said in context to the under representation of minorities in film criticism and the overall film industry and the negative reviews the film had received. 

If there is a different context and meaning to what she said, I’d love to hear that from you.

My point is her intentions may be good ,I’m not denying that, but the form in which she said it was quite offensive and an example of racism, mixed in with a bit of ageism and sexism.

"I'm personally not interested in how this group feels about the film that wasn't made for them when 90% of movies are made for them" is a very different statement to "they shouldn't be allowed to review it at all because it wasn't made for them". So you know, you're not just reacting to her comments literally. You've imposed additional meaning on top of it right here.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

"I'm personally not interested in how this group feels about the film that wasn't made for them when 90% of movies are made for them" is a very different statement to "they shouldn't be allowed to review it at all because it wasn't made for them". So you know, you're not just reacting to her comments literally. You've imposed additional meaning on top of it right here.

Right, and you don’t find anything wrong in her disregarding an entire view point only because of a persons race and age because ‘the movie wasn’t made for them?’

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

10 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I mean if you want to point at other examples of things that were bad in the MCU and got unceremoniously dumped then I’m with you.. just accept that Brie is on that pile of trash with them. 

1 minute ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Right, and you don’t find anything wrong in her disregarding an entire view point only because of a persons race and age because ‘the movie wasn’t made for them?’

This is such a bullshit argument lol. Movies have a target audience and they're allowed to prioritize the opinion of that target audience over the opinions of others, who do you think they prioritize when running test screenings?

"I don't care what a 40 year old thinks of Frozen, I care what a 5 year old girl thinks of it" are you going to get a hate boner for 5 years if someone says that?

Just now, Heartofice said:

I mean if you want to point at other examples of things that were bad in the MCU and got unceremoniously dumped then I’m with you.. just accept that Brie is on that pile of trash with them. 

Like I mentioned earlier, she reminds me of my wife, so, y'know, to me there's nothing wrong there. Hey, look, at the end of the day, not every performance is going to work for everyone, right? De gustibus non est disputandum and all that. I just wish everyone was friendly about disagreeing as you are! 

Just now, karaddin said:

"I don't care what a 40 year old thinks of Frozen, I care what a 5 year old girl thinks of it" are you going to get a hate boner for 5 years if someone says that?

It's okay that I haven't seen Frozen yet, right? 

(I'm holding off till we have a kid, so I can see it with them, and have the same fresh eyes as they do. I...may have weird hopeful parenting goals.)

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

It's okay that I haven't seen Frozen yet, right? 

(I'm holding off till we have a kid, so I can see it with them, and have the same fresh eyes as they do. I...may have weird hopeful parenting goals.)

That's...actually really sweet and wholesome lol. Yes that's definitely ok. I assume you know Let It Go at least? Surely you can't have dodged that?

Just now, karaddin said:

That's...actually really sweet and wholesome lol. Yes that's definitely ok. I assume you know Let It Go at least? Surely you can't have dodged that?

You mean "F*ck It All"? :D I heard the parody before I ever heard the original, through some miracle of a fluke. Or is it a fluke of a miracle? Maybe a fluke and miracle? 

...BOTH. 

Just now, IlyaP said:

You mean "F*ck It All"? :D I heard the parody before I ever heard the original, through some miracle of a fluke. Or is it a fluke of a miracle? Maybe a fluke and miracle? 

...BOTH. 

The Mass Effect parody "I should go" is great, look that one up

karaddin, 

There’s a difference between having a target audience and openly showing contempt for people outside that TG. When I wanted to discuss Barbie or a Pixar film with my friends even though I’m outside it’s intended TG, I wasn’t dismissed by them stating that ‘personally I don’t care about your views because you’re not a teenage girl and it’s not made for you’  (I know Barbie TG is debatable I’m just using it as an example)

It would be interesting to see if the same thing happened to you karradin,and you saw a film you either enjoyed or disliked and wanted to discuss but someone came up and said ‘nope I don’t care about your opinion cause this film wasn’t made for people like you’ , whether you’d have the same level of acceptance… I guess since it’s white dudes it’s a safe bet to bash em cause they run everything right ? 

I mean I empathise with ‘white dudes’  on this one ,even if I’m not one. And I’ve faced discrimination in the US and Australia by white people in the past. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

Go watch that clip of Brie actually talking which Ilya linked last page, if you read that tone as contempt then you have a very different reading of vocal tone than I do. 

And yeah, you don't know shit about me and I've experience a lot more than someone simply not being interested in my opinion on a movie lol.

ETA: And its not like this was someone trying to talk to Brie and getting shot down with "contempt".

Edited by karaddin

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

Go watch that clip of Brie actually talking which Ilya linked last page, if you read that tone as contempt then you have a very different reading of vocal tone than I do. 

She almost vomits when she says ‘white males’