MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

1 minute ago, sifth said:

Captain Marvel just came off as wooden and boring to me. Maybe Brie Larson just sucks at comedy, or more likely the writers do. The most impressive thing about the movie was the CGI used to deage Samuel L Jackson; something I'm still amazed they were able to pull off. That being said, Disney must be happy that film made over a billion, because deaging him had to be expensive. I'd love to read how much it cost, because Samuel L Jackson, is basically in the entire film.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I'm not sure the de-aging was able to disguise his old man hobble. A bit like in the new Indy movie, Harrison Ford's old man voice really gave the game away.

Just now, Heartofice said:

It's been a while since I watched it, but I'm not sure the de-aging was able to disguise his old man hobble. A bit like in the new Indy movie, Harrison Ford's old man voice really gave the game away.

Wouldn't know, haven't seen Indy 5 yet and have no plans to. I've not heard good things. One thing I did hear is the fact that young Indy is only in the first 20 minutes of the film and not the entire movie.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I was watching the archives scene in Captain Marvel, where he and Mendelsohn have a punch up, and you can see 70 year old Jackson there, purely from the body language. It's a 40 year old's face plastered on the body of a guy who's moving like he's in his 70s. 

@Tywin et al. is there a way to find out if Jackson had a stunt double for that sequence?

5 minutes ago, sifth said:

Wouldn't know, haven't seen Indy 5 yet and have no plans to. I've not heard good things. One thing I did hear is the fact that young Indy is only in the first 20 minutes of the film and not the entire movie.

This is accurate. Though there are a few frames where, somehow, the deaging vanishes (I've seen it twice now and can pinpoint the *exact* spots). It's jarring, as it's for a single frame that's barely a second but is just long enough to make the subconscious trip over itself.  

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

This is accurate. Though there are a few frames where, somehow, the deaging vanishes (I've seen it twice now and can pinpoint the *exact* spots). It's jarring, as it's for a single frame that's barely a second but is just long enough to make the subconscious trip over itself.  

Interesting, I wonder if Disney will fix this for the streaming and Blu Ray release. Rather funny that films are being released incomplete these days.

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

< Wakes up and sees four full new pages of discussion in the MCU thread... >

Thinks to self:  "Oh, that's a lot of talk about Secret Invasion all of a sudden... I wonder who got a chance to watch the finale last night..." >

< Clicks on page 15... >

Oh...

Same, Rhom. Same.

I'm just glad people don't stick microphones in my face and then base their opinion of me from comments made 8 yearsago.

They should judge me from this forum, dammit! 

11 minutes ago, sifth said:

Interesting, I wonder if Disney will fix this for the streaming and Blu Ray release. Rather funny that films are being released incomplete these days.

I would hope so. I've even asked around on Twitter about this, to make sure I wasn't going completely nuts, and several people have confirmed they've spotted it too (there's a scene just after they go outside, towards a gun on the train, where the blink and you miss it moment happens). 

27 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I was watching the archives scene in Captain Marvel, where he and Mendelsohn have a punch up, and you can see 70 year old Jackson there, purely from the body language. It's a 40 year old's face plastered on the body of a guy who's moving like he's in his 70s. 

@Tywin et al. is there a way to find out if Jackson had a stunt double for that sequence?

I'd just assume the obvious. He's old as fuck. The likelihood he's doing much physical acting is minimal. 

16 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Those of you excited to see The Marvels, just remember , if you’re a white dude, especially a ‘40 year old’ white dude, Brie Larson DOSENT like you or make films for you, it’s really not meant for you, just like a Wrinkle in Time which was for people of colour, especially young women of colour, so no one else can see and hold opinions on that film! It really wasn’t made for them.Brie Larson simply doesn't like your kind , she prefers people of colour like myself…even though I’ll never see her films :P 

Also, never make the mistake of asking Brie Larson if she’s left or write handed, she takes it as an insult. 

Wow… that’s a lot of shit… I couldn’t give a rats ass about.  Brie Larson has opinions.  She’s entitled to her opinions.  I still enjoy her films.  

Nothing to see here.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Going back to the linked article on the "Impact" of Secret Invasion.  

I have to agree with the asides in the article that it feels like G'yah will just be one of those characters you see introduced and then never hear from again.  Putting her in the category with Eros and Hercules feels very appropriate.

In the comments, there are some really good points as well.

My favorite comment though was:  "Eff it... bring on Madisynn and Wong versus Victor von Doom" And then another commenter said "Doomers!!!"  :lol: 

You know what... I might just be down for that.  :rofl: 

I know there are actual flaws with the Captain Marvel movie and her presentation in Avengers so I can't accuse everyone of it, but I swear that at least some of the reason the backlash against Brie Larsson is so strong is because she smirks all the time, and only the guys are allowed to smirk.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Lol obviously that’s not true, even if it’s a well worn cliche to say it. 

I know most people don't think that. But there's a set of people who just get mad about stupid shit, and that set of people is far too loud a voice in the general dialogue around nerd shit. They'd freak out if Angelina Jolie got a key role (rather than the weepy amnesiac in a failed side-project) in the MCU too. 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I know most people don't think that. But there's a set of people who just get mad about stupid shit, and that set of people is far too loud a voice in the general dialogue around nerd shit. They'd freak out if Angelina Jolie got a key role (rather than the weepy amnesiac in a failed side-project) in the MCU too. 

Yes there a bunch of people who don’t like Brie Larson, but it’s not because she smirked. It’s mostly because she said some things they don’t agree with, and said them with a passive aggressive tone.

Saying that smirking is something only guys can do is the sort of thing that might get you a job as a Barbie writer, or worse, She Hulk. Good luck with that.

I imagine fans would have accepted Captain Marvel better, if she was presented in a more likeable and humble way. However since the creation of The Force Awakens, Disney has forgotten how to write women leads. They're portrayed as robots, good at almost everything and able to punch their way out of most problems. Worst of all, romance is considered taboo for them, because of some daft reason.

Kate Bishop is probably their best female lead, IMO and it’s in large part because they treated her as a human first and a hero second. 

Captain Marvel is first and foremost a military character. A fighter pilot. Even more, a test fighter pilot. Chuck Yeager type mettle. Male or female, test pilots tend to be sardonic, flinch at nothing, and make light of danger. 

One of my favorite Carol scenes is when she met Thor in Endgame. Stormbreaker brushed her hair, but she didn't break eye contact. Just narrowed her eyes as she measured Thor. 

9 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

One of my favorite Carol scenes is when she met Thor in Endgame. Stormbreaker brushed her hair, but she didn't break eye contact. Just narrowed her eyes as she measured Thor. 

That was the worst, most awkward scene in maybe the entire MCU. Cringe.

16 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Captain Marvel is first and foremost a military character. A fighter pilot. Even more, a test fighter pilot. Chuck Yeager type mettle. Male or female, test pilots tend to be sardonic, flinch at nothing, and make light of danger. 

Yes, but I find it strange when I can find more humanity with a character like the Punisher, who is mostly "shoot first, think never". The Captain Marvel film feels like something created by AI and not humans.

Edited by sifth

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That was the worst, most awkward scene in maybe the entire MCU. Cringe.

Just goes to show taste is personal and subjective. What works for you might not work for me.

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

Yes, but I find it strange when I can find more humanity with a character like the Punisher, who is mostly "shoot first, think never". The Captain Marvel film feels like something created by AI and not humans.

Not that strange. Frank is tortured by his past and is given a redemption arc. Carol as we've seen her, is pretty much over powered and fearless. She reminds me of most DC heroes in that way (at least as she is in the MCU). I don't see that really changing in The Marvels, other than her learning to play well with others (which is agreed, not nearly as compelling as Frank's journey).

*My exposure to her in the comics was only from 90's X-Men where Rogue stole her powers and put her in a coma. 

Edited by Myrddin