Second hand Marijuana smoke smells like skunk

Ser Scot A Ellison

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Smoking still sucks.  Having been the child of smokers.  That opinion will never change.  It still pisses me off.

I mean, psychologically I'm sure we all apply our problems with our parents to everyone else we interact with in some way.  The trick is understanding issues with your parents probably do not apply to most everybody else.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have to get this off my chest.  Weed smells like skunk.  It does.  

Skunk spray is a defensive evolution of the species.  Skunk spray is supposed to smell badly… otherwise… it doesn’t work as a defensive adaptation.  I cannot believe that there are Marijuana users wandering around the forest saying “hey that skunk smells like the 03 Maui bud I had my Junior year in college.”

Therefore I cannot… absolutely cannot… fathom why anyone would want to flavor food with Marijuana??? Weed butter… what the actual fuck y’all???

Hey… I want my toast slathered with a form of butter infused with skunk spray… Jesus H. Christ?  Maybe I’m old and not “hip” or something but skunk smell is considered unpleasant for a reason why would any member of the human species want to flavor food with anything that smells of skunk.

:shocked:

It doesn't taste like skunk smell.  Smell some actual fresh weed sometime, (not the smoke).  It's about as skunky as garlic is is.  There's a lot more going on there.  

And you'd be hard pressed to find a less-weedy beer than Heineken.  Something with piney hops is going to be closer.  Maybe something with cascade or mosaic hops 

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Where is this coming from? Why are you now attacking drivers who toke, when drunk drivers account for most of the carnage on our roads?

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you suggesting that drivers who are driving high, or getting high while driving, shouldn't be subjected to similar impairment laws? It can't be argued about the terrible nature of drunk driving. But are you suggesting that Marijuana users who drive impaired shouldn't be subject to impairment laws?

I personally loathe the stuff and have no use for it, but I'm not going argue against the decriminalization of the stuff...as long as it is regulated and treated in a similar manner to alcohol laws and taxes. Have at it. 

27 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Where is this coming from? Why are you now attacking drivers who toke, when drunk drivers account for most of the carnage on our roads?

And as for the taste... As if beer tastes good. And please don't try and tell me that you enjoyed the taste of beer the very first time you tried it. Because that would be a lie. All alcohol tastes terrible. Hard booze tastes like poison. Because it is.

Also, I'm guessing you are completely unaware that the human body has two different types of cannabis receptors, located in our brains, organs, connective tissues, glands, and immune cells. 

There has never been any good reason to ban weed. The only reason we are having this discussion is because either a) the US needed to find a way to stigmatize Mexicans, so rebranding cannabis and conjuring the phenomenon of the exotic sounding 'Marijuana', along with all the accompanying satanic hysteria, was one small part in that entire process, or b) William Randolph Hearst needed hemp plants banned, as they threatened the value of his paper mills. 

I have supported the legalization of Marijuana for my entire adult life.  That doesn’t mean I like the smell or being exposed to it or any other smoke from smokable substances.  

I have hated smoking (while acknowledging its legality) my entire live mainly because I was forced to deal with it by most of the adults in my life as a child… almost all of them were smokers.  

Using Marijuana while driving may be “safer” than drinking and driving but that in no way makes toking and driving a “safe” activity.

53 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Further, morons who smoke weed while driveing may be technically safer than those who drive drunk… but… they are still putting themselves and others at risk with their behavior.

Heads up, smoking the sticky icky while driving isn’t necessarily more dangerous than smoking cigs while driving. On a long road trip, sure, but a fifteen minute drive to Burger King and back home, probably not.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heads up, smoking the sticky icky while driving isn’t necessarily more dangerous than smoking cigs while driving. On a long road trip, sure, but a fifteen minute drive to Burger King and back home, probably not.

No.

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects/driving.html

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Er, no.  Other than the adrenaline rush - which is akin to coffee or many other alternatives - cigarettes do not have an impairing chemical effect.  THC does.  Not as much as alcohol, but still.  Unless you were talking about the physical act of smoking - wherein you have to hold the cigarette more frequently similar to one has to hold a phone - this doesn't make any sense.

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Lol, tell me you don’t understand something without telling you don’t understand it. The impact of smoking is not typically immediate in most instances and the ones where it is are for the most part impractical while driving.

Also, based on the logic of the article, driving while using your phone should be treated like a DUI.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Er, no.  Other than the adrenaline rush - which is akin to coffee or many other alternatives - cigarettes do not have an impairing chemical effect.  THC does.  Not as much as alcohol, but still.  Unless you were talking about the physical act of smoking - wherein you have to hold the cigarette more frequently similar to one has to hold a phone - this doesn't make any sense.

Thought it was obvious that’s what I was referencing.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thought it was obvious that’s what I was referencing.

K.  That's a pretty silly and irrelevant distinction.  The simple act of holding/smoking a cigarette while driving is decidedly not a societal problem.  Driving drunk or even high is.

As I've developed into something approaching an adult over the years I've come to believe that other people are people too, sometimes. 

Weed does fucking smell. One should make attempt to smoke it outside. That's fucking difficult sometimes with laws and pandemics and shit. 

We all grow right? Each of our own individualized strain of person or something? I never cared about plants, which made being a quasi-farmer's kid a real pain in the ass. 

It's been legal here (Canada) for a while now. While I don't particularly care for it (the massive anxiety before getting the calm buzz isn't worth it), Mr. Tyr is super chronic. The amount he smokes in a day would've lasted me a month or more back in the day. I prefer wine, and he drinks a cider every now and then. 

We have three growing tents in the basement. One is for the mother, and there is one plant in one and two in the other. They do stink when they flower. He tries to grow enough not to grow in the summer, because when you open the basement door it's like being hit in the face with a tropical weed forest. The power bills. Gah! With the lights, exhaust, ac unit, and dehumidifier going...At least for the rest of the year we don't need the last two, so it barely adds anything. 

The strains he grows aren't too stinky when smoked. When he runs out before the next crop, he gets it from a local place that sells in bulk for fairly cheap (and they deliver!). There was one strain he stopped getting because it smells like coffee. We both hate coffee. THAT is a smell that could make us puke. Bluck. Tea all the way. Another one smelled like pee. He had one that was called Wedding Cake (I think) that smelled just like cake. 

So, yeah, I don't like when it wafts in my face, but I'll take it any day over coffee breath or cologne/perfume (massively allergic). 

ps: Hash has and always will smell amazing. He gets a chunk every now and then, and I practically shove it up my nose just to smell it. Wish I could still smoke it, but I'll settle for the smell!

eta: Oh yeah, we have a fan for the plants and a fan in the little party room. Both have carbon filters and the aforementioned dryer sheets. Definitely helps keep the stink in the room and not blowing on our neighbours. 

37 minutes ago, Tyria said:

There was one strain he stopped getting because it smells like coffee. We both hate coffee. THAT is a smell that could make us puke. Bluck. Tea all the way

Interesting.  I’ve never particularly enjoyed the flavor of coffee… but… I’ve always liked the smell… not coffee breath but brewing coffee is pleasant to me.

(BTW you and your husband sound incredibly thoughtful)

There's a massive, dangerous storm blowing through the Midwest, with reports of golf ball sized hail and severe tornado sightings. I eff-in' love severe storms, and I have the night off. So I'm sitting out on my balcony watching the storm front blowing in, sipping a nice tea and having a toke I bought legally from the dispensary one town over. It's just amazing that I can go in and pay for the specific taste and vibe I want. In this case, a really easy-going sativa that tastes like berries and rosemary and gives a very warm, uplifting high. 

I understand neither the smell nor the effects of weed are for everyone. I absolutely loathe cigarettes and think the tiny buzz you get off nicotine is a joke, regardless. But there are those of us whose lives it actively enhances. Instead of being drunk watching baseball and eating terribly unhealthy food all day into the wee hours yesterday (it was great), tonight I'm cooking a great meal from scratch and reading a book, then hoping to get the gal I'm sleeping with over for incredible sex. It's not for everyone, no, but I do somewhat feel bad when people are so dismissive or condescending about it.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Interesting.  I’ve never particularly enjoyed the flavor of coffee… but… I’ve always liked the smell… not coffee breath but brewing coffee is pleasant to me.

(BTW you and your husband sound incredibly thoughtful)

When I worked at a resort in the 90s, I hated making the big urns of coffee. Even opening the bags to me is gross, because I associate the taste with the smell. I've only ever had one sip when I picked up the wrong mug once, and I so grossed out I almost threw the mug. Mum laughed, and I used a specific mug thereafter. Funnily enough, Mr. Tyr did the same thing when installing a gas stove for work. He thought it was his tea and took a big swig and promptly threw up in the kitchen sink. At least the homeowner didn't freak out!

We do try to be thoughtful. Well, I do. I feel bad in the summertime when a bunch of us sit out on the deck. It's just a constant cloud floating away. Some of our neighbours do smoke weed too. When we first looked at the house before we bought it, as soon as we got out of the car all we could smell was weed. It was like 11am on a Wednesday. Mr Tyr was like "noice".

I hate the smell of kebabs. But we're not going to shut down all the kebab shops because I don't like the smell of kebabs.

And as disgusting as they smell, I know that just because I might catch a whiff of a rancid, 3-day-old doner, it isn't gong to make me ill. Same with catching a whiff of my neighbour's reefer.

Also, unlike kebabs, which are very bad for you, my brother needs weed in order to stave off the worst effects of his condition, not to mention the medication he is prescribed to treat that condition.

People should start getting used to the smell. Because nobody owns the air that we breath, and weed ain't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’m not a fan of the smell. Got it that some people prefer smoking to edibles, but if you do, just be considerate in public spaces. Kind of like cigarette smoke. Same concept.

As a cigarette smoker, I feel this is paramount.  When I smoke (cigs), I have ALWAYS gone out of my way to be in the most remote place possible.  It's a gross habit, I should be ashamed and inconvenienced, and I'm fine with that. 

....Except not only am I fine with that, sometimes it seems I'm more on board with that than many.  First, I will get people that will walk their kids RIGHT INTO me when I'm clearly trying to be in the least obstructive place possible.  That's annoying to me personally, but over the years it's been demonstrated these people just don't give a shit if their infants/children are exposed to second-hand smoke.  At which point, I do often give up.

Second, and this is more funny thing, but whenever I take care of my niece at my sister's place she will go to the door when I go to the back lawn and smoke.  My sister and BiL have a glass door in which she can do this, and it's adorable.  Eventually, though, Imma have to figure out some place to hide - because she is NOT gonna smoke based on my influence. 

Not sure when that should be - when she'll actually start realizing what I'm doing instead of just being like "hey!  I see you!"  ..Come to think of it, yeah, that's an honest question.  I mean, I just figured I'll wait til my sister and BiL tell me, but there's plenty of you here more experienced than them.  Tell me, jerks!  At what age should I stop allowing my niece see me smoke?  Give me months - she's at 17 in two days.

Archived