Second hand Marijuana smoke smells like skunk

Ser Scot A Ellison

Lol, that just makes me think of a time a few years ago when on vacation myself, my dad and my two cousins went outside to smoke a joint. Whoever was last out forgot to shut the double glass doors, and when we walked back in 10 minutes later the place reeked as my aunt, uncle, step-mom and their two wives just glared at us. The three kiddos were glued to the TV though and didn't seem to notice.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I hate the smell of kebabs. But we're not going to shut down all the kebab shops because I don't like the smell of kebabs.

And as disgusting as they smell, I know that just because I might catch a whiff of a rancid, 3-day-old doner, it isn't gong to make me ill. Same with catching a whiff of my neighbour's reefer.

Also, unlike kebabs, which are very bad for you, my brother needs weed in order to stave off the worst effects of his condition, not to mention the medication he is prescribed to treat that condition.

People should start getting used to the smell. Because nobody owns the air that we breath, and weed ain't going anywhere.

Could you point to where anyone has called for marijuana to be banned or are you wacking at a strawman on purpose?

My point was that while it is true that many people hate the smell of weed, it is also true that many people love it. And the smell of weed isn't harmful. Not one bit.

Also, considering that many people now have legitimate reasons to be growing and smoking weed, those who don't like it should pretty much learn to suck it up.

Traffic fumes smell far far worse, and are literally killing thousands every year. Probably millions across the globe. How about a thread about that? Or perhaps we can debate the rights and wrongs of microwaving fish pies in the office canteen?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

My point was that while it is true that many people hate the smell of weed, it is also true that many people love it. And the smell of weed isn't harmful. Not one bit.

Also, considering that many people now have legitimate reasons to be growing and smoking weed, those who don't like it should pretty much learn to suck it up.

Traffic fumes smell far far worse, and are literally killing thousands every year. Probably millions across the globe. How about a thread about that? Or perhaps we can debate the rights and wrongs of microwaving fish pies in the office canteen?

My stepdad said almost exactly the same thing when he would smoke in the summertime and didn’t want us to roll the windows down in the car because “the air conditioner is on”.

For funsies: Partner picked up a pre-roll yesterday called "Walkin' the Dog," with the idea it is just the right size to get through while walking your pooch.  A friend who does indeed do a smoke while walking his dog tried it and said it indeed was exactly right size and content for a dog walk.  :lol: 

Partner goes outside to smoke. Not allowed inside by building rules and mine.

As for the people for whom the smell offends just needing to suck it up, as it's harmless, unlike gas emissions -- well, we left an outdoors restaurant due to the belching of carbon monoxide etc. from some construction equipment coming right at us.  A density of cannabis smoke can get animals and children, and even adults high, which is not good.

I use cannabis for pain management, just enough of THC to trigger the properly prepared CBD -- and I take it in pill or tincture form. It's the best for pain management because oneself controls the dosage precisely.  Also -- can't stand to smoke anything, ever.  Just the idea of inhaling hot smoke into lungs seems insane to me.

Never been actually skunked, but have been very close when it happened and let me tell you it’s waaaaaaay more powerful than that smell that lets you know one is in the area. There’s an element of what I can only call a kind of spice factor that gets inside, makes your eyes water, gets down your throat and makes you feel like gagging and the inside of your nose is like the itchiest place you have ever been unable to scratch. And it hangs around inside your sinuses for a very long time, no attempts at replacing it with another ‘smell’ come anywhere close. 

Also, Scot, not advocating drug use to the resistant, but I can say that IF you did more drugs you would know there’s a wide range with different ~ kinds but more importantly degrees of smell. But there are also a ton of ways to take it now that involve no smell at all. For sleep I sometimes take weed oil, preferably water soluble, and it’s mostly a yeasty beer foam aftertaste which I don’t like, but then I don’t like beer. But the gummies can be really yummy, vapes come almost custom flavoured, etc. 

Edit: but compared with other things that people smoke, I’ll take funky weed over the smell of stale death (cigarettes), raunchy old man (cigar) and even some pipe smells, though I generally find them closer to pleasant if not too strong. Never smoked any of them myself. 

Another stink worthy of mention is coffee grounds sitting around in the filter after the coffee's made.  I like the aroma of brewing coffee, but the dregs and grounds -- sickening.  Partner MUST dispose of properly almost immediately after the coffee's made.

By the By it's nice how those whose experience is different from ours are about what we should suck up because it is inconvenient for them to be courteous about their own behaviors.  If Partner and I behaved that way we wouldn't have the long, happy marriage we have!

37 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Hotboxing gets you high. Strong aromas outdoors will not. 

That doesn’t mean I want to smell it… yes… I’m whining.  That said people smoking marijuana as they drive really pisses me off.  Same as finding beer cans on the side of the road because some asshat was drinking it in the car while driving (really stupid) and to put the icing on their stupidity couldn’t be assed to get the can into a recycle bin…

@James Arryn

Understood.  But for the employment or re-employment risk… I might try it.  Also… I’m old and crochety…

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Another stink worthy of mention is coffee grounds sitting around in the filter after the coffee's made.  I like the aroma of brewing coffee, but the dregs and grounds -- sickening.  Partner MUST dispose of properly almost immediately after the coffee's made.

By the By it's nice how those whose experience is different from ours are about what we should suck up because it is inconvenient for them to be courteous about their own behaviors.  If Partner and I behaved that way we wouldn't have the long, happy marriage we have!

100%, crazy how coffee smells so good when brewing, absolutely delicious, makes me feel great, and yet the grounds-in-the-trash-smell is nauseating.  

2 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

100%, crazy how coffee smells so good when brewing, absolutely delicious, makes me feel great, and yet the grounds-in-the-trash-smell is nauseating.  

I’ve always enjoyed the smell of brewing coffee much more than the actual flavor.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That doesn’t mean I want to smell it… yes… I’m whining.  That said people smoking marijuana as they drive really pisses me off.  Same as finding beer cans on the side of the road because some asshat was drinking it in the car while driving (really stupid) and to put the icing on their stupidity couldn’t be assed to get the can into a recycle bin…

@James Arryn

Understood.  But for the employment or re-employment risk… I might try it.  Also… I’m old and crochety…

Well, speaking from personal experience, I have never felt an urge to smoke weed even remotely. I can spend weeks doing it several times a day, then go a year or more without even noticing that I haven’t used weed in that time. Most studies I’ve seen rank it much less addictive than alcohol, so if you can have a few beers without ending up in rehab, you should be okay. That said, ~ paranoia can be one of the side effects, so if you are really nervous about it I’d skip it. At least until the moment feels right; being around people you know land trust (edit: esp. if they are drug experienced) can be really beneficial for any first time drug usage. 

Something else that occurred to me about the smell of Marijuana...it sticks. To everything.  Whether you enjoy it or not...it sticks. And lingers. 

We don't test at work. Except for valets. But we have a new cook. Nice guy. Seems like he'll fit in with the team. He came into work the other day, and he'd been smoking at some point in the coat he was wearing. That's apropos of nothing, especially as it didn't seem to be on his clothes from under the coat. Yet he was using sharp knives...

I don't care what one does in their personal lives...but then there is that smell and knives and hopefully no paperwork...

Archived