Second hand Marijuana smoke smells like skunk

Ser Scot A Ellison

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A good answer.

Wait for the joys of having to wash older family members because they can't anymore. Best to just forget the smell. A bit of pot is nothing compared to having to wipe someone else's ass, then clean them, then clean their clothes. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait for the joys of having to wash older family members because they can't anymore. Best to just forget the smell.

Yeah.  The other reason my brother and I moved back to the area is because my father is in very poor health.  Still hoping my mom can take care of this if it comes to that.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  The other reason my brother and I moved back to the area is because my father is in very poor health.  Still hoping my mom can take care of this if it comes to that.

I'm sorry to hear that and can relate. I've had recent chances to leave Minneapolis, for things I really wanted to do, but haven't in part because I witnessed how my step-mom had to deal with my dad, and I didn't help as much as I should have, and now my mom is going through the same thing with my step-dad. All you can do is your best.

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait for the joys of having to wash older family members because they can't anymore. Best to just forget the smell. A bit of pot is nothing compared to having to wipe someone else's ass, then clean them, then clean their clothes. 

My mother is 75.  She had a severe episode of diverticulosis last year and had an illiostomy bag.  I’m aware.  That doesn’t mean I think voluntarily subjecting myself to super stinky smells is something I want to do.  Cigarette smoke (regardless of what plant is in the cigarette) smells like shit.

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Cigarette smoke (regardless of what plant is in the cigarette) smells like shit.

Nah, this isn't true.  I'll give you tobacco - I've been smoking cigs for over a quarter century now and I still think it smells like shit. 

But smoked weed - and particularly unsmoked weed - can smell very appealing to people.  That "skunky" smell you've been referring to, if you get high, smells great.  Due to where I live literally whenever I go outside I smell it, and it's a positive, not negative, smell. 

And trust me, I'm not the only one.  Pretty much everyone I know who's smoked loves that smell.  I'm talking dozens/hundreds of people.  I'm sure there's some physiological reason for that, but it's definitely a thing.  Hell, when I was in high school and wantonly would have large weight in my backpack, after class girls would literally hug my backpack because of how much they liked the smell.  That was..a good icebreaker, if you get my drift.

What I will say is don't smoke joints or blunts.  Yes, that's a way to make the weed smell a lot worse and pungent than it does otherwise.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

Nah, this isn't true.  I'll give you tobacco - I've been smoking cigs for over a quarter century now and I still think it smells like shit. 

But smoked weed - and particularly unsmoked weed - can smell very appealing to people.  That "skunky" smell you've been referring to, if you get high, smells great.  Due to where I live literally whenever I go outside I smell it, and it's a positive, not negative, smell. 

And trust me, I'm not the only one.  Pretty much everyone I know who's smoked loves that smell.  I'm talking dozens/hundreds of people.  I'm sure there's some physiological reason for that, but it's definitely a thing.  Hell, when I was in high school and wantonly would have large weight in my backpack, after class girls would literally hug my backpack because of how much they liked the smell.  That was..a good icebreaker, if you get my drift.

What I will say is don't smoke joints or blunts.  Yes, that's a way to make the weed smell a lot worse and pungent than it does otherwise.

As someone who has never smoked and will never smoke… I assure you that is not true in my case and perhaps part of the problem.  I do not and will never find the odor of marijuana smoke appealing… because it smells like fucking skunk spray.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I assure you that is not true in my case and perhaps part of the problem.

Exactly.  My point is it is different for those that have smoked weed.  Which is, ya know, a very significant portion of the population. 

One of my classes right now, about a month ago, I noticed the classroom reeked of weed.  It was a weird position for me to be in as someone that used to be that student reeking up the entire classroom.  I've since identified exactly the student who is responsible.  Still not gonna mention it, nor treat her any differently.  I don't punish students that bring in food that reeks just as much if not more so.  Anyway that's neither here nor there but I have thought of this thread during my lectures for that class, so figured I'd share.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Exactly.  My point is it is different for those that have smoked weed.  Which is, ya know, a very significant portion of the population. 

One of my classes right now, about a month ago, I noticed the classroom reeked of weed.  It was a weird position for me to be in as someone that used to be that student reeking up the entire classroom.  I've since identified exactly the student who is responsible.  Still not gonna mention it, nor treat her any differently.  I don't punish students that bring in food that reeks just as much if not more so.  Anyway that's neither here nor there but I have thought of this thread during my lectures for that class, so figured I'd share.

Does skunk spray smell good to you after you smoke marijuana?

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does skunk spray smell good to you after you smoke marijuana?

Um...yes?  The "skunk" smell still smells good after you smoke - depending on the quality of the weed.  Shitty weed like low level beasters still smells, well, shitty.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um...yes?  The "skunk" smell still smells good after you smoke - depending on the quality of the weed.  Shitty weed like low level beasters still smells, well, shitty.

Even beasters are still good smelling compared to ditch weed. Imagine the kids today having to even suffer that. I can't believe back in the 70's my dad would have to buy something far worse. 

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wait… so… when you smell skunk spray driving down the highway… that smell is pleasant to you because it reminds you of Marijuana smell?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even beasters are still good smelling compared to ditch weed. Imagine the kids today having to even suffer that. I can't believe back in the 70's my dad would have to buy something far worse. 

Oh sure, the weed back in the 60s/70s was FAR worse.  I used to sell to parents of some of my classmates and they absolutely confirmed this.  There's a lot of different terminology throughout the country for the type of weed they smoked back then, but generally you can just call it shit.  Anyway, selling to boomers was a good way to make more money off people with stable incomes.  The THC content of marijuana markedly increased over the years.  I don't know what it's at now - at this point I'm closer to the dads I used to rip off than the kids dealing - but around the turn of the century there was no comparison.

As for beasters, to clarify for everyone else, that's a catchall term.  Again, this is just when I actually knew what was going on twenty years ago, but "beasters" just meant weed we got from Canada.  And it would very much vary in quality.  Some of it could actually be pretty good!  But, most of it was grown assembly-line style, and in that way it was lower quality and THC content.  Still, it was also lucrative to sell compared to local growers.  This is how most of the northeast got high in the late 90s/early aughts.  I understand it was different out west, as well as down south to some extent.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Wait… so… when you smell skunk spray driving down the highway… that smell is pleasant to you because it reminds you of Marijuana smell?

Yeah, I guess.  I wouldn't say the smell of weed is exactly like "skunk spray."  I have actually smelled a skunk's spray, and in reality it's a lot different than what weed smells like.  But if that's what you're referring to, sure.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, I guess.  I wouldn't say the smell of weed is exactly like "skunk spray."  I have actually smelled a skunk's spray, and in reality it's a lot different than what weed smells like.  But if that's what you're referring to, sure.

So… skunk spray, not Marijuana, smells good to you?  They, in my non-marijuana smoking opinon, favor each other a lot.  I dislike both smells intensely.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… skunk spray, not Marijuana, smells good to you?  They, in my non-marijuana smoking opinon, favor each other a lot.  I dislike both smells intensely.

I'm saying the "skunkiness" smell of marijuana smells good to me, yes.  And smells good to a lot of people.  My brother hasn't gotten high in over a decade, but he still enjoys that smell.  Again, I suspect there's something physiological about this.  Particularly considering we're talking about smells.  Smells can activate memory more than any other sense for me.  I smell a certain woman's perfume, and it still reminds me of my first dance when I was eleven years old.  Smells are weird.

Archived