US Politics: them's indictin words

Kalbear

1 minute ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

especially with it being a winner-take-all system

Yeah, was gonna mention that again but didn't want to be a broken record.  To be clear - the Republican state parties can STILL change this.  But definitely doesn't look like they will.

2 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Add to that that Trump voters appear to weirdly be the most gung ho on voting in primaries compared to the 'reasonable' Republicans

I'm not sure where I land on this assumption.  Tend to think you're right, but from surveys I've seen it's really hard to decipher ideology from not wanting Trump to run again.  I think the important thing to keep in mind is there are plenty of crazies that do not want Trump as the nominee.  This isn't really and establishment v Trumpist thing any more.  The establishment has, by and large, been pushed out of the Republican party -- at least in primary contests.

As for money, well, that's where DeSantis can take him on.  Anyone else?  Yeah, there will have to be a groundswell.  And frankly, a rather late groundswell at this point.

20 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I have zero hopes or expectations the Dems can field even a single candidate for the primaries actually prepared to handle the challenges of the day, partly because the US government is structured in such a way that it can't actually do anything useful, and partly because the Dems would never allow anyone useful to get into that position.  

But if we're taking bets on who's going to be running, I think Mark Warner has his eye on the Whitehouse.

How does Mrs. Whitehouse feel about it?

15 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Plus Trump is going to have a crazy amount of money for his campaigning. Based on the indictment announcement he's already raised $5 million. 

That may or may not be true, but we'll need a better source than Trump's campaign (which has released that figure).  But either way, that's an outrage card they can play once for maximum effect.  

Should he be indicted in Georgia or by the special counsel, we'll see diminishing returns in terms of money raised.  Trump has a "win the day" and "make lemonade" philosophy, but the long-term effects of being on trial in NY (and possibly elsewhere) are going to be distracting, and dangerous. 

The thing is even if loses the NY trial, he's a first time offender who won't get any jail time.  Doubtful the classified documents investigation is going to result in jail time either.   Same for Georgia.  These are minor criminal violations. 

Jan6 investigation seems a *long* way from complete, and there may be no "smoking gun" found showing that Trump directed or knew that violence would occur.  

Anyway, my unpopular opinion of the day is that we should all root for RDS to win the Republican primary.  Not because I want him to be president, or because I agree with him on his policies.  But our country will have a Republican president one day, and it will survive 4 or 8 years of terrible, regressive policies.  We survived Bush, and he pretty much got every single decision of importance disastrously wrong. 

The sooner we banish Trump's burn down the republic mentality from our public sphere, the better off we will all be.  

How many literally were killed because of Bush in the middle east?  Millions, but nobody knows the exact numbers.

Bush killed our Cuban music business and we barely survived that!  Not to mention what he did with taxes for those of us not in the millionaire class. It took us 5 years to pay off the bill with which we got clobbered, plus interest of course.

In the meantime, we wake up this morning at 5:56.  Promptly at 6 AM the rackety copper choppers begin the endless circling above our heads.  Surely way too early to be doing recon wrt to the cancer on our nation arriving at the Criminal Court downtown, so what then?

They quit about 7:30.

Edited by Zorral

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Y’all see the crazy shit going down in Tennessee?

And of course the rethugs are trying to liken this to Jan. 6 despite the fact that the protestors followed security rules to get into the state capitol, and there was no violence or destruction of property. 

Straight up fascism!  Recall TN is where the KKK was first organized with ultra racist Bedford Forrest as the Grand Dragon organizer.

Tenn. GOP seeks to expel 3 House Democrats after school shooting protests

... Sexton — the House speaker — referred to the three Democrats’ actions as an insurrection. He said they had committed “multiple violations ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/04/04/nashville-shooting-tennessee-democrats-expel/

Tennessee House Republicans have moved to expel three Democrats from their seats in the legislature after the representatives joined protesters demanding gun control last week.

On Monday, Republicans in the House filed resolutions to expel Reps. Justin Jones, Gloria Johnson and Justin Pearson, saying they disrupted proceedings last Thursday when hundreds of people came to the state capitol to protest after the March 27 mass killing at Nashville’s Covenant School.

Three 9-year-old students and three adults were killed in the attack, which has since heightened tensions among politicians in Tennessee and across the United States who remain divided on gun regulations.

Already on Monday morning, students in Nashville had walked out of their classes and gathered at the Capitol to protest for gun control.

The fiery evening session adjourned without a vote on the resolutions, which will be on the legislative agenda Thursday. But not before Republican House Speaker Cameron Sexton called for the galleries to be cleared and for state troopers to remove hecklers.

The rare move to oust the three Democrats came shortly after Sexton stripped Jones and Johnson of their committee assignments, the Tennessean reported. Pearson did not have any committee assignments. According to the paper, Johnson also told journalists on Monday that her badge to access the legislative office building had been deactivated.

Last week, Jones, Johnson and Pearson brought a House session to a halt during the protests.

Jones, who held a sign that read “Protect kids, not guns” while on the House floor Thursday, led the crowd on the chamber balcony in a chant, shouting “No action, no peace!” into a megaphone.

On Thursday, crowds flooded the capitol to urge lawmakers to address gun violence. People of all ages — including children “from strollers to high school,” according to Johnson — attended the protest, packing the rotunda and overflowing outside the building.

“Nashville is speaking right now, loudly and clearly,” Johnson said during a video she took of the crowd. “They want gun sense legislation in Tennessee.”

During the session that day, she, Jones and Pearson stood on the House floor. After Jones led the first chant with those in the gallery, Pearson spoke through the megaphone about gun violence and began chanting “Enough is enough.”

“There comes a time when you have to do something out of the ordinary,” Jones tweeted Thursday. He added that the lawmakers “could not go about business as usual as thousands were protesting outside demanding action.”

That same day, Sexton — the House speaker — referred to the three Democrats’ actions as an insurrection. He said they had committed “multiple violations.”

“They were making the day about them and not about the issue, in my opinion,” Sexton said on “The Hal Show Podcast,” adding that the consequences could include removal from committees, censorship, expulsion or a combination.

Addressing Sexton’s comments, Johnson wrote Sunday on Twitter that there was no danger on the House floor or in the rotunda last week.

But Sexton on Monday tweeted that Jones, Johnson and Pearson had broken “several rules of decorum and procedure.”

The resolutions to expel the three representatives say that each lawmaker “did knowingly and intentionally bring disorder and dishonor to the House of Representatives through their individual and collective actions,” according to photos of the documents posted by Jones and Johnson.

The measures were introduced by Republican Reps. Andrew Farmer, Gino Bulso and Bud Hulsey. The Tennessee House has only made the rare move of expelling representatives twice since the Civil War, according to the Associated Press.

After the House session adjourned Monday, Jones posted a video of people in the gallery who were chanting.

“This is a sad day for Tennessee,” he wrote.

Ya that won't cause any damage to the USA's body politic, not at all, not at all.  Reagan's Arms to Contras for Drugs didn't cause any, Bush's rethugs stopping the recount in Florida in 2020 didn't cause any damage, and on and on and on -- the damage is massive and unlikely to be repaired since They are all armed and are actually already using those arms, though for some damned reason nobody will admit that's what's going on -- it's always just some lone mad shooter in the schools.

The disgusting media is literally peeing its pants in the glee of having the cancerous orange turd back.  There is now only one thing that could ramp up the current levels of glee across the entire spectrum: his deluded followers attempting 01/06  0.2 re-run. i.e. THEY are the ones that have brought him back.  They are all too lazy to do anything else.

I wish to vomit on them all.

An ya, those damned rackety copper choppers at 6 AM were indeed about the cancerous orange turd.

I pretty much dislike/distrust/disagree with Meacham as an historian, and I disagree vehemently with a lot he says here such as [ "... I am more skeptical of the long-term Republican complicity in Trumpism for this reason: I think of the 1933-to-2017 period as a figurative conversation—a figurative debate between Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan ...  I mean how much of an ivory tower not part of the world most of live in privilege can one big moneyed dorkdong experess?] but I do agree with some of his responses to Remnick's soft balls.

A Biden Ally on the Post-Indictment Stakes of Another Trump Presidency
The historian Jon Meacham discusses Trump’s prospects for 2024, whether criminal charges change the outlook, and his own reason for turning down a formal role in the Biden Administration.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/a-biden-ally-on-the-post-indictment-stakes-of-another-trump-presidency

... t was a gigantic illusion, and it’s a persistent one. I am friends with—you are friends with, I suspect, though you may not be able to admit it, in the offices of The New Yorker—principled Republicans who have said to me, for going on eight years now, since 2015, that Trump was going to fade. That it wouldn’t work. That his hour either (a) would not come or (b) would pass. And I now refer to this, overly glibly, as the Republican “Brigadoon” fantasy: that there is this world where Trump just disappears, and that world’s going to come back and reassert itself. The only problem with that fantasy is that it is fact-free. I don’t doubt that Senator McConnell and other establishment Republicans want the world to be Trump-less. The problem is, there is no factual basis to believe at this hour that the people who spend the currency of their franchise to establish Republican officeholders share that view. There’s just not. And I believe that the 2020 election was a victory for the forces of democracy. I believe the 2022 election was a surprising victory for the forces of democracy, by and large. But the story’s not over. As we are sitting here, in the early spring of 2023, there is a vital reckoning with Trump back on a ballot coming up within a year, in the primaries, and then in November, 2024. It’s a trope that every election is more important than any other election. But this is not 1976. This isn’t 1980. This isn’t a difference of degree, which is what Presidential elections tend to be. (Partisans don’t believe that. But I believe that.) It’s a difference of kind.

... I remember when, having a conversation with a group of people, many of whom your listeners would clearly recognize, the week after Glenn Youngkin won the governorship in Virginia, and I gave this kind of homily that I just gave you in very short form, which is: it doesn’t matter, given the authoritarian forces abroad in the land; it doesn’t matter whether Joe Biden had a good week or a bad week. This is not “The McLaughlin Group.” That doesn’t work in this context. When the history of the American Republic is written, Glenn Youngkin’s name is probably not going to be in it. But the end of American democracy will be. I said that, and a Washington journalist nodded at me. Then he said, without any bridge language, “Well, that’s true. But, you know, President Biden had a bad week. What is he going to do?” I wanted to put my head in a meat grinder. ....

Gods I loathe the media. They are so much a part of the problem, also so much THE PROBLEM.

Here it is NOON, and o lordessa -- are the copper choppers BACK!  You can't even think for noise.

Edited by Zorral

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not real until we see a pic of him getting slapped on the ass! 

I assume you volunteer for the ass slapping.

Not here to criticize you, whatever floats your boat. But I must admit I am bit weirded out.