US Politics: them's indictin words

Kalbear

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I assume you volunteer for the ass slapping.

Not here to criticize you, whatever floats your boat. But I must admit I am bit weirded out.

All 34 felony charges. 

No wonder Donny looks so sad in the pictures being released. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Since there's no bail etc. involved in this sequence of events there's a lot of local speculation as to what they could possibly be discussing that is taking this long.

Quite a few are saying there may be warnings going down to him, his family and supporters for threats they have been making to anyone involved in the Grand Jury decision, including posting rape-torture threats and graphics of the daughter of one of those on the prosecution team.  He's also done all this stuff himself on media, including a baseball bat to Bragg's head, and calling for violence from his supporters.  So many are saying this has crossed the line to MORE CRIMES for he can be charged which can and often do result in prison.  And as of now being arraigned anything he does or says can be used against him in this case, if not others pending.

What is hard to understand is this guy so terrified of being prosecuted for his crimes from the beginning that he refused to put anything on paper, or do anything by fone -- has done all of this in conditions that the entire world witnesses him doing.

Edited by Zorral

Somebody else said this but I agree passionately:

MTG's travel to NYC should be investigated. Did she use government/taxpayer money? Or did she pay with her own money.? Because there is absolutely no legitimate reason in her role as Congressman to be there. I urge someone to investigate this and let the world know.

‘New York City Hates Your Guts’: MTG Drowned Out at Trump Rally

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-jeered-ahead-of-trump-indictment.html

So she, like Santos, bailed from there in a great big hurry.

Edited by Zorral

9 hours ago, Squab said:

When does Biden pardon Trump?

34 (felony) counts of falsifying business records - NYPL section 175.10.

Biden couldn't if he wanted to (which I'm sure that he doesn't).

Just now, Week said:

Link added, used your post as I was too lazy to write one of my own.

Just now, Week said:

Weirdly, I think he actually could. If I understand correctly the 34 charges are about falsifying business records in the process of committing another crime. That crime is a federal charge about misusing campaign finances - and that could, in theory, be pardoned. It would be weird to prosecute the falsifying charge based on crimes that were not actually crimes any more. 

2 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Weirdly, I think he actually could. If I understand correctly the 34 charges are about falsifying business records in the process of committing another crime. That crime is a federal charge about misusing campaign finances - and that could, in theory, be pardoned. It would be weird to prosecute the falsifying charge based on crimes that were not actually crimes any more. 

They would still be crimes even if pardoned, no?

Anyhow,

Love audio tapes!

1 minute ago, Week said:

They would still be crimes even if pardoned, no?

Depends but usually no, though I think it'd be a pretty novel legal defense that doesn't come up all that often and would likely have to be judicated. 

Another open question is whether or not Trump (as POTUS) can still have this charge against him. So if Trump runs out the clock and also happens to win the next election can he push to negate the charges entirely? No one knows because, well, we've not actually had presidents currently being tried for crimes.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around an attorney claiming this isn't a baseball bat.

https://www.rawstory.com/media-library/fox-host-sean-hannity.jpg?id=33361230&width=1200&height=912

He's going totally DeNiro's Capone - Untouchables here.

https://minnlawyer.com/2007/06/11/speaking-of-bats-heres-an-untouchable-scene/

And correction -- it was Don Jr. who posted the judge's daughter on social media with incendiary rhetoric, evidently.  

No gag order the judge said, but he is warning them to watch what they say and post.

Edited by Zorral

A bat is a mammal from the chiroptera (crime) family. No bat has ever been caught on camera playing baseball. Even they know Baseball is bloody boring.

Thus there's no such thing as a Baseball bat.

At least that's the pitch I'd try.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

With no gag order per se, just warnings about their rhetoric and imagery -- one wonders if secretly the prosecution is hoping he goes straight to diaper bonkers as he has so many times -- watch for explosion tonight after he's back in FL and eating a dozen of whatever it is he calls hamburgers and fries and is way cranked up on on his cokes.

BTW, now he's back at LaGuardia the ratcheting, racketing copper choppers have abruptly left our air space -- for the first time since noon.

Edited by Zorral

Aha.

This (and possibly testimony from AMI) is new. Though still, I'm guessing that Elie Mystal's prediction of a fine paid in 2026 is probably the likely outcome.

BTW, those whistles she's referring to were handed out by one her people, willy nilly. Whistles being a favorite cover my ears fascistnazirethugauthoritarianidiot's lalalala I can't hear you ploy.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around an attorney claiming this isn't a baseball bat.

https://www.rawstory.com/media-library/fox-host-sean-hannity.jpg?id=33361230&width=1200&height=912

He's going totally DeNiro's Capone - Untouchables here.

https://minnlawyer.com/2007/06/11/speaking-of-bats-heres-an-untouchable-scene/

And correction -- it was Don Jr. who posted the judge's daughter on social media with incendiary rhetoric, evidently.  

No gag order the judge said, but he is warning them to watch what they say and post.

Have to wonder if that act of stupidity opens Trump junior to legal action - slander or some such...

Enter dystopia. MO republicans vote to defund libraries. Is anybody here surprised?

I have read about this sort of thing happening in third world countries. 

However, the article admits this effort is likely to fail.

Missouri Republicans Vote To Defund Public Libraries | HuffPost Latest News

The new law led to 300 books being removed from schools across the state between last August and November, according to PEN America.

In February, the ACLU of Missouri, the Missouri Association of School Librarians and the Missouri Library Association filed a lawsuit against the state, arguing that the ban violated the First Amendment.

Republicans decided to retaliate against MLA, a nonprofit organization of professional librarians, for joining the lawsuit. Their proposal: cut the $4.5 million allocated to public libraries each year.