US Politics: them's indictin words

Kalbear

3 hours ago, Week said:

They would still be crimes even if pardoned, no?

Yes.  Pardoning Michael Cohen for crimes that have already been adjudicated wouldn't change the legal theory of the case the Manhattan DA is using - admittedly tenuous as it is.  Trump missed his opportunity to pardon Cohen when that may have changed the outlook of this case because his spitefulness overrides his self-preservation.

My favorite part of the indictment?  The irony of ironies that part of Trump being prosecuted is for lying on his tax returns --> by paying more than he should have (in this small aspect):

The charges against Trump do not include any tax fraud offenses that some legal experts said they hoped to see to buttress the seriousness of the case. However, the statement of facts Bragg filed along with the indictment makes a surprising claim: that Trump and his associates engaged in deception by paying New York state more in taxes than it was owed.

Edited by DMC

Can the president pardon someone from being prosecuted for an alleged crime, or does the conviction need ot be achieved for the president to then issue the pardon? 

The more tax you pay the more money you have made, supposedly, which means you've likely lied about your income for reasons of deceiving investors / shareholders or someone else you might be legally accountable to.

30 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Can the president pardon someone from being prosecuted for an alleged crime

Yes.  The most famous example would be Ford pardoning Nixon for all possible crimes he may have committed.  The only two possible limits on the president's pardoning powers is first - and this one is clear - the president can not pardon someone for a crime they haven't committed yet.  So they can't be like, "dude is gonna kill someone next week, and a I pardon thee."  Second, which has yet to be decided by the courts, is whether presidents can pardon themselves.  This was, obviously, a concern while Trump was president.

Liberals will win control of Wisconsin Supreme Court, CNN projects

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/04/politics/wisconsin-election-supreme-court-results/index.html

Democratic-backed Janet Protasiewicz will win Wisconsin’s Supreme Court election, CNN projects, flipping majority control in liberals’ favor in what could be the most consequential election of the year with abortion access, election rules and more on the line in the key swing state.

Protasiewicz, a Milwaukee County circuit court judge, will defeat conservative Daniel Kelly, a former state Supreme Court justice, in a race that shattered spending records on state judicial elections. Her win likely breaks an era of Republican dominance in a state that has been ensnared in political conflict for more than a decade.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

I do have to wonder if other Red States will follow MO's lead in defunding all public libraries within their borders. 

How would that affect DMC? 

Well, I've certainly heard about it from my mother - a retired librarian.  Other than that, only way it affects me is the same way in which it affects us all -- the fascist attack on education and free information.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:46 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Hes the one candidate even the 101 year old corpse Biden can beat.

So theres that I guess.

Biden is most voted for president candidate in history over one election cycle.  81 million ballots can't be wrong.  Also considering how many elections he won outside of Delaware as the lead guy, greatest comeback since Lazarus Wednesday morning.

Edited by mcbigski

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I've certainly heard about it from my mother - a retired librarian.  Other than that, only way it affects me is the same way in which it affects us all -- the fascist attack on education and free information.

You saying Team DeSantis wouldn't try this in Florida?

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Also considering how many elections he won outside of Delaware as the lead guy, greatest comeback since Lazarus Wednesday morning.

Yeah!  The only elections Joe Biden won outside of Delaware before being elected president was..being elected Vice President.  Twice.

Honestly trying to figure out what your complaint is.  Are you trying to burn Delaware?  Otherwise this is absurdly stupid. ...Ok, sorry, it's absurdly stupid no matter what.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah!  The only elections Joe Biden won outside of Delaware before being elected president was..being elected Vice President.  Twice.

Honestly trying to figure out what your complaint is.  Are you trying to burn Delaware?  Otherwise this is absurdly stupid. ...Ok, sorry, it's absurdly stupid no matter what.

I was puzzled about his post as well. How many elections outside of their home state have any presidents won before they were elected president? I assume the answer is zero unless, like Biden, they had also been VP.

The case of Trump, who only won one election, isn’t unique, is it? Did Eisenhower hold an elected office before becoming president? I don’t know enough about US political history to know how many presidents were in that position.

52 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was puzzled about his post as well. How many elections outside of their home state have any presidents won before they were elected president? I assume the answer is zero unless, like Biden, they had also been VP.

The case of Trump, who only won one election, isn’t unique, is it? Did Eisenhower hold an elected office before becoming president? I don’t know enough about US political history to know how many presidents were in that position.

He has been a believer in widespread voter fraud by Democrats, the late night vote dumps, etc. Otherwise there is no possible way that *Joe Biden* could have received all those votes. 

As was assumed -- people didn't even need to predict -- last night the orange canker went on a rampage of attacking the judge, the prosecutor, etc., etc. etc. despite the judge's gentle admonition that doing this was going to hurt his case.

Won't stop.

Can't stop.

Criminal is what he is.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

How many elections outside of their home state have any presidents won before they were elected president? I assume the answer is zero unless, like Biden, they had also been VP.

Yup.  There are of course only two nationally elected offices - the president and the vice president.  So, unless you were elected VP, every president was only elected statewide before they became president.  That's..just the US electoral system.  The only caveat would be Grover Cleveland, who won the presidency in 1884, lost his attempt at a second term in 1888, then won it again in 1892.  That's essentially what Trump is trying to mimic. 

Fun fact - Cleveland was the only Democratic president in the post-Civil War era, which also was the most polarized era in American history before the last twenty years.  When a depression hit at the beginning of his second presidency - the "Panic" of 1893 - it realigned the "party system" in which the GOP became dominant for the next forty years.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

last night the orange canker went on a rampage of attacking the judge, the prosecutor, etc., etc. etc. despite the judge's gentle admonition that doing this was going to hurt his case.

Junior is going after the judge's daughter.  Fascism 2023.

Edited by DMC
Nationally, not federally, elected offices

11 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I do have to wonder if other Red States will follow MO's lead in defunding all public libraries within their borders. 

Not sure even Missouri will follow suit on this. https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/missouri-senate-set-to-restore-funds-to-public-libraries-cut-from-house-spending-plan/article_75add4d1-0ce4-5d2f-985d-216b799d741e.html

The chief Senate budget writer said he plans to restore state funding for Missouri’s public libraries that was stripped out of the House version of the state’s spending plan.

Sen. Lincoln Hough, R-Springfield, who chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee, said Tuesday that the panel will place $4.5 million back in the budget, which covers spending for the fiscal year beginning July 1.

But I'm sure the idea has already taken root to become part of the garden of weeds that the GOP is cultivating.

Edited by Corvinus85