Why is it that chatGPT gets it, but many humans don’t?

kissdbyfire

It's important to note that people's interpretations of literature can vary based on their personal biases and perspectives. However, it's generally understood that the Starks are not portrayed as villains in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

The Starks are initially presented as the honorable and just rulers of the North, who are trying to do the right thing in a world filled with political intrigue and violence. They are depicted as sympathetic characters, with their struggles and tragedies being central to the story.

It's possible that some readers with poor reading comprehension skills may have misunderstood the plot or characters, leading them to view the Starks as villains. It's also possible that some readers have a personal preference for other characters or houses in the series, leading them to view the Starks negatively.

Overall, it's important to approach literature with an open mind and strive to understand the story and characters as they are presented by the author.

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Overall, it's important to approach literature with an open mind and strive to understand the story and characters as they are presented by the author.

Sez you.

Striving to understand the story is what leads you astray. I prefer to rely on my own blind prejudice and refusal to acknowledge my own mistakes. So far it's worked flawlessly.

9 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Sez you.

Striving to understand the story is what leads you astray. I prefer to rely on my own blind prejudice and refusal to acknowledge my own mistakes. So far it's worked flawlessly.

Agreed.  Surely the correct way to approach a story is to read a summary on Wikipedia, a couple of metas on tumblr, and then cheerlead for the characters you like.

18 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

Wait a minute.... is this post chatGPT's answer?

Yup.

10 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Sez you.

Striving to understand the story is what leads you astray.

I knew I must have been doing something wrong to disagree so viscerally w/ a… group of readers! 

10 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I prefer to rely on my own blind prejudice and refusal to acknowledge my own mistakes. So far it's worked flawlessly.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Because ChatGPT is not fuelled by irrational bias towards certain fictitious characters?

Bingo. 

chatGPT did not actually express any actual opinion. 

An actual opinion might be "The Starks are not villains". 

Anyway, why do we care what a robot says?   Even if we happen to agree with it, so what?  It is merely parroting popular opinions (while using distancing phrases).  And popular opinion is sometimes right.

The AI is not giving an analysis of the Starks. Just what the general opinion is, the "people's interpretations". According to it, it is also of general opinion that: "readers with poor reading comprehension skills may have misunderstood the plot", or are biased. This is just a "data processing machine", nothing more.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

How does chatGPT describe the average ASOIAF fan?

As an AI language model, I do not have access to the individual characteristics of every fan of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series by George R.R. Martin, nor can I make assumptions about them based on limited information. However, I can provide a general description of the fan base based on common traits observed in online communities and forums:

The average "A Song of Ice and Fire" fan is likely to be a devoted reader who appreciates intricate and detailed world-building, complex characters, and morally ambiguous storylines. They may be interested in medieval history, politics, and warfare, as these themes are prominent in the books.

Fans of the series tend to have strong opinions about the characters, plot twists, and storylines, and are often willing to engage in in-depth discussions and debates with other fans. They may also be interested in fan theories and speculation about future plot developments.

The fandom includes a diverse range of individuals, but tends to skew towards adults, with many fans having been readers of the books since their initial release in the 1990s. With the popularity of the "Game of Thrones" TV series, which is based on the books, the fan base has grown to include a wider range of ages and backgrounds.

Overall, fans of "A Song of Ice and Fire" are likely to be passionate, dedicated readers who enjoy complex storytelling and engaging with a rich and detailed fictional world.

2 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

chatGPT did not actually express any actual opinion. 

An actual opinion might be "The Starks are not villains". 

Anyway, why do we care what a robot says?   Even if we happen to agree with it, so what?  It is merely parroting popular opinions (while using distancing phrases).  And popular opinion is sometimes right.

Some day we may all have to care about what a robot says ! : o

52 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

As an AI language model, I do not have access to the individual characteristics of every fan of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series by George R.R. Martin, nor can I make assumptions about them based on limited information. However, I can provide a general description of the fan base based on common traits observed in online communities and forums:

The average "A Song of Ice and Fire" fan is likely to be a devoted reader who appreciates intricate and detailed world-building, complex characters, and morally ambiguous storylines. They may be interested in medieval history, politics, and warfare, as these themes are prominent in the books.

Fans of the series tend to have strong opinions about the characters, plot twists, and storylines, and are often willing to engage in in-depth discussions and debates with other fans. They may also be interested in fan theories and speculation about future plot developments.

The fandom includes a diverse range of individuals, but tends to skew towards adults, with many fans having been readers of the books since their initial release in the 1990s. With the popularity of the "Game of Thrones" TV series, which is based on the books, the fan base has grown to include a wider range of ages and backgrounds.

Overall, fans of "A Song of Ice and Fire" are likely to be passionate, dedicated readers who enjoy complex storytelling and engaging with a rich and detailed fictional world.

I was hoping they’d mention “nuance” :lmao:

39 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Doesn’t Chat GPT describe Walder Frey, the Boltons, and the slaver coalition as “the true heroes of this story.”

Question:

Are Walder Frey, the Boltons, and the slaver coalition as “the true heroes of this story.”?

chatGPT:

No, Walder Frey, the Boltons, and the slaver coalition are not the true heroes of any story. In fact, they are often portrayed as antagonists or villains in their respective storylines in the popular fantasy book and television series "Game of Thrones". These characters are known for their betrayal, cruelty, and selfishness, and their actions have caused harm and suffering to many of the story's main characters.

The true heroes of "Game of Thrones" are typically characters who exhibit selflessness, bravery, and compassion, and who work towards the greater good. Some examples of these characters include Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, and Arya Stark, among others. These characters often put their own lives on the line to protect others and fight for justice and freedom, making them much more deserving of the title of "hero" than characters like Walder Frey, the Boltons, or the slaver coalition.

30 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Question:

Are Walder Frey, the Boltons, and the slaver coalition as “the true heroes of this story.”?

chatGPT:

No, Walder Frey, the Boltons, and the slaver coalition are not the true heroes of any story. In fact, they are often portrayed as antagonists or villains in their respective storylines in the popular fantasy book and television series "Game of Thrones". These characters are known for their betrayal, cruelty, and selfishness, and their actions have caused harm and suffering to many of the story's main characters.

The true heroes of "Game of Thrones" are typically characters who exhibit selflessness, bravery, and compassion, and who work towards the greater good. Some examples of these characters include Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, and Arya Stark, among others. These characters often put their own lives on the line to protect others and fight for justice and freedom, making them much more deserving of the title of "hero" than characters like Walder Frey, the Boltons, or the slaver coalition.

That’s pretty good, although I doubt I’d class Tyrion among the heroes.

Archived